jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (14 posts)

What english word do you hate the most?

1. Stickypony profile image75
    Stickyponyposted 4 years ago

What english word do you hate the most?

2. multiculturalsoul profile image85
    multiculturalsoulposted 4 years ago

Cacophony. I know it means "harsh or discordant mixture of sounds," but you have to cough to say it.

3. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

It isn't a word but it is slang and is overused to the point of making me nauseated - Frickin'  Frickin' this, frickin' that.  AHHHHHHHHH

4. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 4 years ago

Retarded.

I have heard it used so frequently as a pejorative that I can no longer bear it even when used to develop something that has been held back or slowed down.

5. kittythedreamer profile image97
    kittythedreamerposted 4 years ago

There's a few words that I'm not a fan of, many being derogatory words. But the ones that I can say here are "frothy" "purulent" and "diarrhea". All medical words but gross me out when I hear them! LOL.

6. Maralexa profile image85
    Maralexaposted 4 years ago

I "hate" hearing the word No!

"Hate" is too strong a verb to be used here.  But the most negative word for me is "No."

7. SidKemp profile image95
    SidKempposted 4 years ago

Hate.

I hate to hate anything.

Oops! I mean I love everything, and don't hate anything at all.

8. bernard.sinai profile image81
    bernard.sinaiposted 4 years ago

Nincompoop - I don’t hate this word, more like dislike and I think it sounds crappy. :-)

9. sarahmoose profile image79
    sarahmooseposted 4 years ago

Robust. It has been overused that many times at my workplace that even seeing it written down irritates me!!

10. JessBraz profile image93
    JessBrazposted 4 years ago

Moist.
    There's just something about that word the icks me out...

Though I don't dislike these two words, I do dislike it when people don't pronounce them properly... When people say "supposeBly" and "eXpecially" Those two words drive me bonkers.

11. UndercoverAgent19 profile image90
    UndercoverAgent19posted 4 years ago

"Residual" sounds pretty nasty in my opinion. Ew.

12. profile image0
    Deb Welchposted 4 years ago

HUSBAND.  It makes my skin crawl.  Everyone thinks I need one of these and I don't think so.  I hate the word - the sound of the word - the idea of the word and the push and shove of the worldly condition.  Thanks but no thanks - I'll pass on that.

13. zoey24 profile image75
    zoey24posted 4 years ago

I am from England, and I have never heard anyone say the following......

Cacophony (Never heard that word before) Frothy, Purulent or residual.

The word Nincompoop made me laugh, my Nan used to say that to us when we were small and had done something silly :-)

The word I hate the most is 'Sick' simply because kids today (My 13yr old included) use it as a word for all things good. If they like something, they say "That is sick" or worse "That is Sickage."

Sick to me means vomit and there is nothing good about that :-)

14. Amber Vyn profile image61
    Amber Vynposted 4 years ago

I'm a language lover, so I just can't bring myself to hate a word.

However, I think the stupidest sounding word in the English language is 'shampoo'.

working