jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (14 posts)

What is something that you learned from George Carlin?

1. NicholasA profile image79
    NicholasAposted 4 years ago

What is something that you learned from George Carlin?

2. Kevina Oyatedor profile image69
    Kevina Oyatedorposted 4 years ago

Buddy Christ from Dogma. Loved him in that movie.

3. tsmog profile image83
    tsmogposted 4 years ago

I didn't learn how to cause humor, I should watch more video's of George. I did learn to laugh with myself and not at myself . . .

tim

4. Billrrrr profile image82
    Billrrrrposted 4 years ago

Don't be afraid to change your life.  In the 1960s, he wore a tie, didn't swear and was a regular disc jockey in Brockton, Massachusetts and other cities.  Being "Joe Normal" just  wasn't right for the 'Hippy Dippy Weatherman', so he changed it up and became the zany comic character that kept the world laughing for decades.  Moral of the story......if something isn't working for you: Change It Up!

5. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 4 years ago

To speak your truth and don't back down from being who you are.  I may not agree with everything he ever said, but I think he was funny as hell, incredibly intelligent and unabashedly true to himself.

6. Monica Kay 215 profile image79
    Monica Kay 215posted 4 years ago

George Carlin was the first person I ever heard referring to the "1%". His commentary and insights on the educational system seem like prophesies now.

7. barbat79 profile image75
    barbat79posted 4 years ago

George Carlin was absolutely brilliant!  His comedy and level of creativity required a mastermind of genius.  When writing about society, he really brought things to light without negativity and was direct.  George Carlin had it all in his presentation as well.  I can't think of another comedian who could contort such facial expressions and vocals and his use of body language absolutely matched his performance.  He brought smiles and laughter over some of the most difficult issues in society.  His timing was always impeccable..his silence and poise was as much a part of the entire "show" as his creative use of words , play on words and scenarios.  I learned to think freely and laugh.
    I call him the Dr Seuss of the adult world and the master of bringing comedic justice to our world!

8. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 4 years ago

I learned that (a) his delivery was impeccable, (b) his piece on our "STUFF" was outa this world, and (b) we wouldn't have liked each other much politically.

9. Phenomenalapse profile image79
    Phenomenalapseposted 4 years ago

The little things that come off our bodies
    and bad toenails? I don't need parts that bad

10. silver2row profile image67
    silver2rowposted 4 years ago

Serious...I learned to not cuss, have manners and refrain from indulging.

11. IDONO profile image83
    IDONOposted 4 years ago

I was lucky enough to see him in person in Akron, Ohio. I'll never forget it.
         I'd like to write a sequel to one of his skits. I'd call it, " The 7 Dirty Words They DO Say ON Television." Older Carlin fans will get this one.

12. Jim and Beyond profile image78
    Jim and Beyondposted 4 years ago

One of my favorite Carlin bits (paraphrased):

"When I lost something, my Mother would always use the same line: 'Well it just didn't get up and walk away!'  One day I lost the cat.  It just got up and walked away!"

I think about that every time one of my kids loses something.  What did I learn from it?  Well, I guess, sometimes it DOES just get up and walk away!

13. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 4 years ago

That some foods ARE too funny to eat.

"Kumquats.  I don't even bring 'em home anymore.  They just go to waste."

14. taburkett profile image60
    taburkettposted 4 years ago

"The status quo sucks."
    and
    "If you continuously walk forward - sooner or later, you will be required to retrace your steps because we know that the earth is round."
    and
    "when you run out of funny things to say, just think about that last little trick someone pulled on you and then name that person as the idiot who fell for it."

working