jump to last post 1-21 of 21 discussions (27 posts)

A Very Sad Day. The Death of My Hero George

1. DJ Funktual profile image81
    DJ Funktualposted 9 years ago

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Zen-of-George-Carlin

I wouldn't start a thread with a link b/c it ain't right.  But neither is losing the the one MAN who made us look right in the mirror and see our ugly side.  From there, you either see your errors or continue being an ass.

George Carlin - The undiputed champion of Stand-Up Comedians because he was the reason most of the others decided to do it. There actually could be some dignity in this profession of stand-up comedy. When he was honored on HBO for his lifetime of acheivement he was humble & witty and then he said something that shocked me. He looked at unproven host Jon Stewart and said "I expect big things from you." I remember thinking as Stewart was clearly moved by the comment, that he was just being nice Jon. You're average at best. Now almost 10 years later, Jon Stewart keeps the country sane on a daily basis with his Daily Show. Props to the master. George sees what we seemingly can not. We don't always agree, but I love him like a father.

1. rmr profile image83
      rmrposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I am grieving too, DJ. The man was a comedic genius, whose stand-up will outlive us all! This is a great loss, indeed.

2. gamergirl profile image61
    gamergirlposted 9 years ago

I will always miss the Conductor!

1. Maddie Ruud profile image80
      Maddie Ruudposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Maybe the Jukebox band can compose his requiem.

http://members.tripod.com/shiningtime/pp1.jpg

3. DJ Funktual profile image81

I'm really pretty shook up.   This is such BS.    He was only 71.

4. DJ Funktual profile image81

You don't even have to read my HUB about him.  Just drop some flowers and words of Respect if you like.   I'd love a tasteful vigil to spontaneously start there.

George would of course call me out on this immediately!
    It can't be spontaneous if you tell people to do it.

5. terenceyap07 profile image61
    terenceyap07posted 9 years ago

Men may come and go, but a great man leaves behind a legacy that inspires us to go on. He lives in our hearts and minds. George Carlin was indeed a rare and gifted man. May his legacy live on.

1. thranax profile image51
      thranaxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

So true my friend, so true.

6. DJ Funktual profile image81

If anyone has the time.  We need some classic photos of George in this thread. 

I'm writing up The Zen of George Part 2 right now!

7. DJ Funktual profile image81

My job is to come around and remind you of stuff you already know but forgot to laugh at the first time. ~ George Carlin 1978

8. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 9 years ago
    1. thranax profile image51
      thranaxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Nice page Mark.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
        Mark Knowlesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks.

Not much I can say, so I thought I would let him say it himself. I can't imagine he found his own death any less ridiculous than he found everything else big_smile

9. DJ Funktual profile image81

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Zen-of-George-Carlin-Part-2

Here's part 2.  Sorry 'bout all the links.

10. DJ Funktual profile image81

Great point Mark.  If George saw me moping around, he'd say "Oh cut it out ya frickin crybaby!"

11. DJ Funktual profile image81

Got any funny face pictures mark?  This one is too serious for George!

12. DJ Funktual profile image81

I don't know what that is.    Looks like Pee-Wee's Playhouse.  I was too old to watch it.

1. Maddie Ruud profile image80
      Maddie Ruudposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It's from Shining Time Station, where GC played Mr. Conductor, after Ringo Starr.  Thomas the Tank Engine and all that.

13. DJ Funktual profile image81

Never even HEARD of THAT!  I graduated HS in '89 which is three years before George Joined the show.  I was wondering what Gamergirl meant by The Conductor.  I'm so old.  I'd never even heard of Thomas the Tank Engine either.

14. DJ Funktual profile image81

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pryor%27s_Place 

This was Richard Pryor's Kid's show in case you blinked and missed it.

15. WeddingConsultant profile image71
    WeddingConsultantposted 9 years ago

Shining time station? Wow, I remember that back in the day!  haha I think my younger sister watched it growing up.

16. DJ Funktual profile image81

yeah, I missed all this.  My little bros were watching 'Pinwheel' and 'You can't do that on TV' but I was already in college by then.

17. DJ Funktual profile image81

Don't forget about George.

18. Dottie1 profile image77
    Dottie1posted 9 years ago

I was at Barnes and Noble earlier today.  George Carlin's books are on display.  Catchy titles.    "Brain Droppings" and "When will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops?"  He would have been a great hubber.

19. Zsuzsy Bee profile image90
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 9 years ago

My all time favorite George Carlin (my x and I first owned it on eight track now I have it on CD) was the s**t track. Even though it's from the seventies it still makes me laugh now...in his words "...man that was some good s**t'
    So sad that He's no more.

20. DJ Funktual profile image81

He's still alive and kicking on my two HUBS about him.  Non-stop support all day.

21. Angela Harris profile image71
    Angela Harrisposted 9 years ago

My favorite George Carlin quote- "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that!"

working