Which sentence is correct?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
    Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years ago

Which sentence is correct?

a young couple sued their son's teacher because she failed him on a test. The won the case because the teacher had not used proper grammar and the student had answered each question correctly. This prompted me to run a little quiz here.Which of the following sentences is correct?
    1. Johnny sat on a fence with huge eyes as he watched some crows harassing a cat with dive-bombing antics.
    2. Johnny sat on a fence watching, with huge eyes, some crows with dive-bombing antics harassing a cat
    3. With huge eyes, Johnny sat on a fence as he watched some crows harassing a cat with dive-bombing antics.

2. American_Choices profile image77
    American_Choicesposted 9 years ago

Phyllis,
    This will be fun to see the responses! Love this idea! Thank you for submitting.

Grammarly tells me all three function. Logic tells me I prefer number 3 but I wish to hear from the experts. I am out of my wheelhouse on this one.

Thank you for this challenge.

Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You are most welcome.

3. Faith Reaper profile image83
    Faith Reaperposted 9 years ago

Hmm, not really sure, Phyllis, but the last one sounds best to me.  However, that does not make it correct. One truly has to be careful as to sentence structure as the meaning of the entire sentence can change as to the true meaning intended.

You are correct on sentence structure..  When we look at #1 it is worded in such a way that the fence has huge eyes and the cat has dive-bombing antics.  #3 is correct with the huge eyes belonging to Johnny, but the cat still has dive-bombing antics.

4. The Examiner-1 profile image61
    The Examiner-1posted 9 years ago

I would say that #2 is the closest to being correct Phyllis.

I agree, Kevin.

5. Dressage Husband profile image67
    Dressage Husbandposted 9 years ago

1. is definitely wrong as the fence definitely does not have huge eyes. 2. is correct as the meaning is clear. 3. is wrong as it is not clear what huge eyes are, a person? or nickname? they are not connected to Johnny in any way, other than he was with them, they may not even have been his - there is no clarity.

Awesome thought process, Stephen - you are very astute in your thinking.

6. word55 profile image71
    word55posted 9 years ago

Hi Phyllis, I'll say that #2 was more direct and in order of describing what happened.

7. chuckandus6 profile image77
    chuckandus6posted 9 years ago

I think number 2 is right, but I am not that good at grammar.
    P.S.what happened to the cat?

8. Besarien profile image73
    Besarienposted 9 years ago

1 is problematic as the huge eyes seem to belong to the fence.

3 is problematic because it is the cat with dive-bombing antics.

2 is the most clear. It could be better though-
    "Sitting on a fence, Johnny with huge eyes watched some crows
    with dive-bombing antics harassing a cat."

Very good thoughts.

9. junkseller profile image78
    junksellerposted 9 years ago

I'd say number 2 is 'correct'. The phrase "with huge eyes" immediately follows watching and is adding information about how he sat watching. The phrase "with dive-bombing antics" is similarly connected to the object it modifies (the crows).

In the third one, the "with huge eyes" I think is fine as it is connected to Johnny, but the phrase "with dive-bombing antics" isn't as clear because it is separated from the object it modifies by another object. Does the cat or the crows have dive-bombing antics? (in this case it is pretty easy to figure out, but in other cases it can be difficult).

The first one also has the problem with the phrase "with dive-bombing antics," and similarly has the phrase "with huge eyes" separated from the object it modifies as well.

I don't think I'd say any of these are wrong. Perhaps their form is poor, their meaning is still clear. Obviously the fence doesn't have huge eyes.

Very well-thought out reply. You are very good at sentence structure. I agree with you.

10. Harishprasad profile image71
    Harishprasadposted 9 years ago

I think No 2 seems appropriate after  a close observation of all three sentences. Looking forward to know the correct answer. What an interesting question, Phyllis !

Thank you, Harish. A few people have got it right so far, including you.

11. peachpurple profile image81
    peachpurpleposted 9 years ago

no.1, that sentence sounded proper and the punctuation mark is correct. The second punctuation mark is wrong.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)