jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What is your favorite detective novelist, both historically and currently...

1. bluesradio profile image74
    bluesradioposted 17 months ago

What is your favorite detective novelist, both historically and currently...

2. lions44 profile image98
    lions44posted 17 months ago

All time...Raymond Chandler. 

There are some fantastic detective novelists out there today.  I recently heard about Tom Rob Smith. He writes crime novels set in Stalinist era Soviet Union.  Sound interesting.

3. profile image0
    Cissy1946posted 17 months ago

This is a hard one. I love mysteries and most of the ones I read are in a series with its own detective. Probably my favorite historical detective is good old Sherlock. I've read all the short stories and novels (or novella's really) but for a modern detective I can't decide. I will limit my list to characters who are actual detectives, not friends and neighbors who get caught up in events, so...

1. Robert Colbeck, Scotland Yard detective in 1850's era England by Edward Marston
    2. Lena Jones, private detective in Arizona by Betty Webb
    3. Kinsey Millhone, private detective in California by Sue Grafton
    4. Maisie Dobbs, private detective in 1930's era London by Jacqueline Winspear
    5. Phryne Fisher, private detective in 1920's era Melbourne by Kerry Greenwood
    6. Stanley Hastings, private detective in New York by Parnell Hall
    7. Chet and Bernie, private detective, Chet thinks they live in Arizona by Spencer Quinn
    8. Molly Murphy, private detective in 1900's New York by Rhys Bowen
    9. Harvey Marmion, Scotland Yard detective in WWI London by Edward Marston

On top of all these are all the amateur detectives who solve crimes before the professionals can and sometimes before they even know there's been a crime. I love mysteries!!!

One day I was sitting around feeling sorry for myself because I was getting older and knew one day my brain would turn to mush. Then I had a bright idea! I would read every mystery book in the library. It would keep my mind busy figuring out all the puzzles and I'd be entertained too. It's a great way to stave off brain mush!!! Sadly, for all my reading I don't think I'm going to be able to finish all of them--but I'm still trying...

4. mactavers profile image92
    mactaversposted 17 months ago

Sheriff Joana Brady series set in Bisbee AZ by J A Jance

5. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 17 months ago

The Caves Of Steel and other two scifi mystery novels by Issac Asimov. Written to prove that you can write a scifi mystery.

working