Is a poor person who refuses to use coupons ignorant?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (42 posts)
  1. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 9 years ago

Is a poor person who refuses to use coupons ignorant?

I have a family member who lives 4 hours away. She is VERY poor, but because I know she is causing her poorness I send coupons instead of money. Coupons I know that she needs like diapers, milk, and other high priority type things, I send them and she refuses to use them and even acts like it's an insult. What in the world makes a poor person think they are too good for coupons? How can coupons be "too much work" if you have no money and no job? I even offered to teach her "extreme couponing" and she seemed not interested at all.

2. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 9 years ago

My wife and I are dedicated "coupon-ers" and we've gotten similar reactions from people within our own family, i.e. "Why do you waste time with that nonsense?"
    I say if they want to pay full price for @#$%, then it's their loss.

peeplesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Agreed!

3. profile image0
    TheBizWhizposted 9 years ago

In general I wouldn't say that poor people that do not use coupons are ignorant, but in the case of the person you are talking about, I might make an exception. Under normal circumstances, a person doesn't use coupons because out of sight is out of mind meaning that they just don't think about it, therefore they don't use them.

In this case, the person is being negligent to herself and her family over pride (considered the deadliest of the seven deadly sins!). I mean the hardest part of the process is done: THE DREADED CUTTING! lol

With that said, I actually don't think coupons should be limited to just poor people. I mean, does it make sense for anyone to pay $3.00 for something that they could pay $2.50 for if they only make the effort to cut out a piece of paper and hand it to a teller? I am not poor. Actually I might even be considered in the top 3%, but I use coupons almost every day. I remember a time when I would be lucky to have what I need, so now I don't take anything for granted.

I agree about the poor thing. We aren't poor, but I don't buy anything really unless I have a coupon for it. But I have already cut these for her. All she has to do is hand it to a cashier. Seems sad and lazy to me!

4. dashingscorpio profile image80
    dashingscorpioposted 9 years ago

I wouldn't automatically say she thinks she's "too good" for coupons.
    My guess would be the vast majority of people do not shop with coupons on a regular basis! Most people would prefer having grocery store membership card to swipe that automatically discounts items on sale in the store.
    I realize many coupons are from the manufacturer and could offer additional savings. However if it's not a major purchase most people are not incline to carry around coupons to save money. It's laziness for the most part!
    I can't tell you how many times I've been in a grocery store where an item had a sticker on it with 50 cents off and I peeled it off to give to the cashier but forgot to do so when they rang me up or I left it on the product and neither of us caught it to remove the sticker. These days there are coupons on the back of store receipts as well. I tend to view my receipts as trash.smile

I for example have always hated the "rebate game". Instead of instantly giving the shopper the discount on the spot they require them to jump through a few hoops (cut out the scan code, copy the receipt, mail it and wait for 4 weeks). The manufacturer knows they'll save money overall on the promotion because a lot of people won't bother to cash in on the rebate or they'll miss the deadline.
    Some people get excited about shopping and finding ways to save money. Personally speaking anything beyond doing some comparison shopping online for major products, pricing, and their reviews is work for me. LOL!

I agree that it is work, but I have cut the work part out of it and all she has to do is remember to hand it to a cashier. She complains she can't afford diapers all over facebook, but I send her a coupon and she won't use it?! Seems idiotic.  jmo

2. Lady Guinevere profile image67
      Lady Guinevereposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I am with you.  I comp shop right in the store.  Most of the cupns that I see are for the namebrand.  If you comp shop most of the store-brands are cheaper than using the coupons for the namebrands.  Sometime you get a good deal on nb being chepr th.

3. dashingscorpio profile image80
      dashingscorpioposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Very interesting! I can't see her believing she is too good for coupons but is willing to publically cry poverty on Facebook! Sounds to me like she only wants (money). Most cities have places where poor people can pickup necessities for free.

4. peeples profile image93

Lady I agree w/ store brand, but I am extreme about couponing and have offered to help her get her groceries/diapers name brand for minimal amounts of $ and she refuses. Lazy or just wants cash as dashing said.

5. Lady Guinevere profile image67

I don't use coupons.  You can take a horse to water but you cannot make him drink. Perhaps another way around it is to go with her to the store and give the coupns to the cashier befoe she pays. Just a suggestion.

6. peeples profile image93

Sadly I live too far away or I'd buy the diapers w/ coupons myself. Boxes of diapers aren't cheap to ship. I just hate seeing pics of my nephew wearing saggy diapers because she's trying to make the ones she has last.

7. Lady Guinevere profile image67

Cloth Diapers and rubber pants.  They are reusable and washable and can be changed many times and are cheaper to ship.

8. peeples profile image93

That is a great idea! I didn't think of that! Thanks!

9. Lady Guinevere profile image67

Your are welcome.  Some NEW things are more expensive than the old things that we used to have.  Good Luck!

5. liesl5858 profile image82
    liesl5858posted 9 years ago

I think some people are too proud to use coupons when buying stuff. I don't mind using coupons, there are lots of coupons in magazines and in newspapers sometimes. When I use to work for Walmart Stores, I see a lot of customers using them so I followed and it saved me a lot of money when I am shopping. Every penny counts as they say.

I don't understand the "too proud" mentality when it comes to coupons. Couponing does not mean a person is poor, it means they are smart enough not to pay full price.

6. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 9 years ago

A person with limited funds who refuses to use coupons OR do anything that would benefit them and the situation is A PERSON i WOULDN'T BOTHER HELPING, SINCE THEY DON'T SEEM TO BE RATIONAL NOR GRATEFUL.   Period. The End.

This was my thought. Trying to help and she refuses that help, while letting her baby sit in nasty diapers to prolong there use. Just sad.

2. fpherj48 profile image60
      fpherj48posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I know very few people in today's economy who do NOT use coupons, look for discounts & rebates, wait for "sales" and share coupons & info with others.  Pride doesn't pay one's bills nor put food on the table.  This woman is full of NONSENSE!

7. MizBejabbers profile image88
    MizBejabbersposted 9 years ago

I would have to know the circumstances as to why she doesn't use coupons. I use them rarely because there are only two of us, and sometimes the coupons require a purchase of several items. It isn't worth trying to store the extras for a paltry discount. I am never too proud to use a coupon when purchasing clothing or household items at a department or discount store. However, having to purchase four boxes of cereal for a 40-cent discount (that's 10 cents a box)  isn't worth it when I can get a store brand for $1.00 less. So I would say if she refuses to use any coupons at all, she is pig-headed, but if she uses some of them, she is just discriminating.

She refuses them at all, while crying out on Facebook that she can't afford diapers for her son. It's a sad situation.

2. MizBejabbers profile image88
      MizBejabbersposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm shocked that anyone would be too "proud" to use coupons. I wonder why she would think it was a sign of poverty? Sounds pretty misguided.

8. M. T. Dremer profile image85
    M. T. Dremerposted 9 years ago

I'm definitely not a fan of coupons. My problem is that I either forget the coupon at home, it doesn't apply to what I thought it did at checkout, or it expires before I can get to the store. It takes more work than it should, just to save 50c. However I don't think I'm above coupons nor would I feel insulted if someone gave me some. Back when my wife and I were on a single, low, income, we would clip coupons at my Mom's house because she always saved them for us. Most never got used, because of what I mentioned above, but it was a nice gesture.

So, in answer to the question, I would probably say they are lazier than they are ignorant. They look at the extreme couponing and just don't want to put in the effort. Which is their prerogative, but then they shouldn't complain about being poor if they're not willing to do anything about it.

Your last sentence summarizes my thoughts.

9. OldRoses profile image95
    OldRosesposted 9 years ago

I'm sorry if I am insulting anyone or starting a controversy, but I have to say that I am shocked by the responses to this question.  Such mean-spirited people.  So selfish in your wealth.  Obviously, none of you have ever suffered from poverty.  I grew up poor.  Very poor.  So poor that I had only one pair of shoes and one dress for school.  Yes, it was a long time ago when girls were only allowed to wear dresses to school.  My parents were too ashamed to use coupons.  They didn't want anyone to know that we were so poor that we could barely feed ourselves.  I know that it sounds counter-intuitive, but people are so judgmental (re-read the answers to this question if you don't think so) that poor people are ashamed to show any signs of poverty such as using coupons.  I think that you all need to re-examine yourselves and your attitudes before you pass judgement on poor people.

I've been poor, it is not the old days anymore. Coupons are actually cool in many groups of people now, and the question was related to someone who couldn't put diapers on her child refusing to use a coupon. Not being rude to ALL poor people.

2. profile image0
      TheBizWhizposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If this person is willing 2 put her pride before her family's well being, then she deserves to be judged negatively for that decision. btw,If u c in some of peeples other comments, u would know that this person proclaims poverty on facebook.

10. bravewarrior profile image88
    bravewarriorposted 9 years ago

I don't get it. I use coupons all the time. In fact, the only reason I get the Sunday paper is so I can clip coupons! Add those to BOGO specials at the grocery store and the savings can really add up.

1. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I am also an avid user of coupons and discounts.

11. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 9 years ago

My only question would be; can you use coupons along with food stamps?

Yes, but most of the coupons I sent her were for things that weren't food.

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you peeples. Just curious.

3. fpherj48 profile image60

peeples....Tell her you know a person (that would be ME) whose Mom raised her & her sister to be FRUGAL AT ALL TIMES WITH ALL THINGS. Best lessons ever! My sister married a millionaire.She also shopped with coupons!!  Good habit to keep!

4. gmwilliams profile image84

Not only do I shop w/coupons.  Every Monday at Pathmark is discount day for those over 55 !

12. Eric Calderwood profile image79
    Eric Calderwoodposted 9 years ago

One thing about coupons is that they are usually for the more expensive, name brand items. If you shop for generic or store brand items you are already spending less. Also if you shop at a bargain grocery store like Aldees or Sav-a-lot you pay bottom dollar. For me coupons would be an added expense since they would be for more expensive items or for items that I wouldn't normally buy.

13. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/11947363_f260.jpg

I wouldn't say that a poor person who elects not to use coupons is ignorant.  Perhaps, h/she is too proud to admit that h/she is in abject socioeconomic circumstances.  There are poor people who refuse to acknowledge that they are poor.  They see being poor as a stigma so they refuse to acknowledge their socioeconomic poverty.

I read an article in which a poor family refused to go on welfare and to take supplementary aid.  They claimed that they were too proud to go on welfare.  Yes, there are proud poor people around.  They somehow want to keep what is remnants of their human dignity and don't want to descend into what society deems as a poverty consciousness, mentality, mindset, outlook, and psychology.

peeplesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It bothers me that anyone would think using a coupon is losing dignity. I know quite a few upper middle class ladies who are couponers. Here we are 8 mths later and this same person is still jobless, complains on fb, yet refuses coupons.

2. gmwilliams profile image84

Well, SHE'LL LEARN......This woman loves to play the victim game.  She just wants sympathy, DON'T GIVE HER ANY!  I am middle class & use coupons & discounts EVERY CHANCE I get! Ain't too proud to beg!

3. fpherj48 profile image60

If she's whining and crying about being financially strapped on a public forum like Facebook......there sure as hell is not PRIDE involved in using coupons.  At least coupons would show she's TRYING.

4. gmwilliams profile image84

Yes, using coupons and LOOKING FOR A JOB!  It is time she stop the pity parties.  It is getting old!

14. Au fait profile image86
    Au faitposted 8 years ago

Now there is only me, so coupons don't always make sense, but when I shopped for a family I most certainly did use coupons every time I went to the store.  Yup, I was one of those people with a wad of coupons in my hand at the checkout, but I organized them as best I could to speed the checkout process up as much as I could.

Back then it was possible to double and triple manufacturer's coupons and if I could find a matching rebate offer I could even end up with the product FREE!  A few times I got a free product and cash to boot!!  Yes, there were times when I ended up carrying a product (like one of those giant boxes of laundry detergent) out of the store absolutely free at purchase, and then turned around and got a rebate on top of that. 

I have known people who truly believed that using coupons raised the prices of products to make up for the coupon discount.  Tried to make her understand that even if retailers did raise the price of products to cover the cost of the coupon, not using coupons did not save her money.  Even if she did not use the coupons the retailer would not lower their prices because hundreds of other people would be using the coupons.  Tried explaining it to her more than once, but she never did see that she was the one actually paying more whether the retailer raised prices or not.

There are people who hate finding themselves behind someone with a fist full of coupons, and so of course they don't want to be that person themselves with people waiting in line behind them.  There are also people who are truly ashamed to use coupons even if only 1 or 2,  just as they're ashamed to have hand-me-down clothing, clothing from a thrift store, or clothing from a yard sale.  If the clothing is in good condition, what does it matter if it's gently worn?  Who will know if you don't tell them?  Assuming that's an issue.

I hope your relative is not one of those people who is ashamed to accept public assistance.  I know lots of people (generally mean spirited people) like to demonize public assistance and the people who must rely on it at times, but the assistance in the way of food stamps, medicaid, etc., is there for a reason.  No child should be hungry or without necessary medical care because their parent(s) is under or unemployed.  No caring parent should allow their child(aren) to go hungry or without necessary medical care because they are under or unemployed either.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)