jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (10 posts)

Paul Ryan, who is he?

1. peoplepower73 profile image93
    peoplepower73posted 5 years ago

Here is an excellent Website that will tell you 12 things that you wanted to know about Paul Ryan, but were afaraid to ask.  Please comment on how you feel about Paul Ryan.

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2012/ … paul-ryan/

1. Mighty Mom profile image87
      Mighty Momposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Low income, middle class, women, infertile couples, charities, gays, retirees, the military (including specifically generals).

Is there a group of Americans Ryan hasn't insulted?

I agree with one of the commenters on the site  you linked to.
      Show us the tax returns!

1. peoplepower73 profile image93
        peoplepower73posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I get the feeling he is very good at using political buzz words, but without a lot of substance.  For example, he said "the vetting process for his tax returns was exhaustive."  But when asked how many years of returns he will provide, he said two just like Romney.

What a surprise.
          It's like Romney was playing pin the tail on the donkey trying to define himself. "Wherever my pin hits is the incarnation I'll go with in the election."
          He hit Ryan. Problem solved.

Question (rhetorical):
          How exactly does one go from requiring one's interns to read Ayn Rand to claiming he never really took her philosophies all that seriously?
          Oh, right. The same way one goes from architecting and implementing Romneycare in MA then claiming it's the worst idea in the world.

2. GA Anderson profile image83
        GA Andersonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

yes there is one group he has not insulted - the intelligent, that think for themselves and form opinions based on fact - not "talking points"

GA

Well that lets out the entire audience of Fox News, doesn't it?
          smile

2. Daniella Lopez profile image93
      Daniella Lopezposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Ryan is going to be worse for the Romney ticket than Palin was for the McCain ticket...

One of the really scary things for me about him is his "personhood" amendment. If you are a pregnant woman whose life is at risk because of the fetus you are carrying, under Ryan's amendment, it will be illegal for you to get an abortion. Regardless of the fact that you will most likely die as a result of you carrying that child. To me, this is a scary and dangerous concept.

Absolutely.
        And how about banning artificial insemination?
        With access to global adoptions severely restricted now, I can't imagine that childless couples -- even heterosexual, married couples -- will be happy about that.

2. GA Anderson profile image83
        GA Andersonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

@Daniella - perhaps a little information would be helpful - to form an intelligent opinion

the "personhood" amendment you refer to is actually HR 358. A pro-life bill introduced by Rep Joseph Pitts. Not Paul Ryan. He was only one of 145 democrat and republican co-sponsors.

Of course we all are allowed to hold pro-life or pro-abortion positions, but if you wish to criticize someone who believes other than you - you should at least base your criticism on facts, not "talking points" you  heard.

The bill does not ban life-saving abortions - it just precludes hospitals and doctors that have contrary religious beliefs from having to perform them.

Should you be interested in the facts, here is a link to the text of the bill and a list of the co-sponsors:
        http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/112/hr358

ps. One of Pres. Obamas "talking points" used to get Obamacare passed was his promise that "... no federal funds will be used to fund abortions..." is in accordance with the precepts of HR 358, so is Pres. Obama on the same page with Ryan on this issue? His public statements say so.

what is really "a scary and dangerous concept," is that so many accept what they hear as fact - instead of applying a little effort to check it out.

GA

3. maxoxam41 profile image77
      maxoxam41posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Nothing surprising there. He is the perfect candidate for the republicans. He is as radical and extremist in his measures/policy than Romney. What else can the corporations ask for? Perfect representatives, it's the dream team of politics. Young, cute (for the ladies that vote according to the candidate's sex-appeal) and articulate, a strong ticket.

working