Obama rated better president than Reagan?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (28 posts)
  1. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

According to a 2010 poll, Obama is far from viewed as the worst POTUS in history.
    What do you think?
    *ducks*
    http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/201 … mong-worst

The survey, which ranks presidents using 20 different factors, shows Jefferson was the most intelligent president, Richard Nixon was the worst at integrity and avoiding crucial mistakes, Lincoln had the best overall ability, and Washington was the best leader.

Here's the full list*:

1. Franklin D. Roosevelt

2. Theodore Roosevelt

3. Abraham Lincoln

4. George Washington

5. Thomas Jefferson

6. James Madison

7. James Monroe

8. Woodrow Wilson

9. Harry Truman

10. Dwight D. Eisenhower

11. John F. Kennedy

12. James K. Polk

13. William Clinton

14. Andrew Jackson

15. Barack Obama

16. Lyndon B. Johnson

17. John Adams

18. Ronald Reagan

19. John Quincy Adams

20. Grover Cleveland

21. William McKinley

22. George H. W. Bush

23. Martin Van Buren

24. William Howard Taft

25. Chester Arthur

26. Ulysses S. Grant

27. James Garfield

28. Gerald Ford

29. Calvin Coolidge

30. Richard Nixon

31. Rutherford B. Hayes

32. James Carter

33. Zachary Taylor

34. Benjamin Harrison

35. William Henry Harrison

36. Herbert Hoover

37. John Tyler

38. Millard Fillmore

39. George W. Bush

40. Franklin Pierce

41. Warren G. Harding

42. James Buchanan

43. Andrew Johnson

*There are only 43 ranking slots since Grover Cleveland was both the 22nd and 24th president; he left the White House only to return four years later for his second term.

1. American View profile image60
      American Viewposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wonder where he would place now that is 2 years later

2. Kathleen Cochran profile image76
      Kathleen Cochranposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Most of the problems we are dealing with today with the economy can be traced back to Ronald Regan and his deregulations.  I'm surprised he is as high on the list as he is.

2. Billy Hicks profile image76
    Billy Hicksposted 11 years ago

"Obama rated better president than Reagan?"

This should go over well...

*grabs the popcorn*

Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Not to mention the poll is from 2010, when the economy was even suckier than now.

2. profile image50
      druhepkinsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Reagan is currently being pushed very hard by the GOP because they desperately need a hero and a nostalgic face of the party. It's just business as usual. They need to remind people of a prosperous era under Republican leadership, and if there isn't any they'll just make it up----like Reagan. The truth is Reagan wasn't that great a president. He WAS great for esteem of the country; we were respected and feared under Reagan, and he won the cold war. Reagan was also very charismatic and a great communicator. He was great for the country for our image, but truthfully his policies sucked, crippled our economy and he hurled us deeper into debt.

1. Billy Hicks profile image76
        Billy Hicksposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you over the sound of this guy...

http://global.fncstatic.com/static/managed/img/U.S./Bill%20Clinton%20Democratic%20Convention.jpg

Now, you were saying something about "needing a hero and a nostalgic face of the party"?

Big difference.
          BC is alive and well and doing things today to make the world better.
          He may even get a second shot in the WH as First "Dude." smile

Reagan the legend lives on. But realistically, there is NO nostalgic icon for the current Republican Party.

Lincoln set the bar too high, lol.

RFLMAO.
              Teddy Roosevelt carried a big stick and pole vaulted right over the standard.
              But I hear you.

I think the job has gotten arguably more complex and more impossible over the years. No that it ever was a slice of cherry pie!
              smile

2. profile image50

You're only pointing out a difference between "needing" a nostalgic hero and "having" one. No one is trying to sell Bill Clinton. The reality is under Clinton, it was a time of peace and fiscal prosperity---and yes, people like the guy. No one is pushing countless books and biographies on us like with Reagan. It is what it is. He's a rock star.

I'm not pointing out anything; I don't have any skin in this game. I think Obama and Romney are both terrible, I was only 10 when Reagan left office, and Bill Clinton can't run again so the point is moot.

I was joking with MM about how the title of the thread was more than likely going to draw some of the more interesting characters the exists here.

I'm not very transparent in my motives, am I?
              lol

Lol, I'm surprised Josak hasn't found this one yet.

1. Josak profile image60
                  Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What do you expect me to say on the matter? I feel pretty average about Obama.

2. profile image50

I agree, the title definitely pulled me in. I knew the responses would be intriguing. I just took your initial comment as a push for Reagan.

With that said, I don’t know if I’d trust any of these polls Mighty Mom. Unfortunately people these days aren't that bright, knowledgeable, or unbiased to do it correctly or judicially. There is absolutely no way using ANY criteria that Ronald Reagan ends up 2nd greatest president. I mean even above both Roosevelt’s, and George Washington, seriously lol??? People can slip this stuff by nowadays, but if people saw this list with Reagan as 2nd greatest president in my 5 grade class, there'd be a thunderous uproar of laughter and confusion. Likewise, Obama on the bottom just above W is also not very legitimate. It’s just hate and personal opinion. Love him or hate him, he hasn’t done anything the justifies being thrown into the 42nd spot, and even behind Andrew Johnson. Many folks give him a thumbs down, but still the president accredited for pushing healthcare reform, saving GM and killing Bin Laden cannot be ranked 2nd to last in principle alone. He's a president some folks don't agree with, but he isn't a disaster president. We had a few bad ones.

2. Reality Bytes profile image72
            Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Mr. Clinton was intelligent enough to endorse several pieces of legislation passed by a Republican majority Congress.  They were wise decisions and will leave Bill with a stellar legacy, because he did not merely talk about bipartisanship, he actually walked the walk!

1. e-five profile image92
              e-fiveposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Clinton's signature accomplishment was the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1993, which led to a balanced budget during his last three years in office, and contributed to a vibrant economy in the mid and late 1990s.  But that act was passed with ZERO Republican votes--- Al Gore had to cast the deciding vote in the Senate.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omnibus_Bu … ct_of_1993 

Then the Republicans used his modest tax increase to run against him and the Democrats to take control of congress under Newt Gingrich-- who later shut down the government in a standoff with the Clinton administration.  So I would not exactly call it "bipartisan."

1. Reality Bytes profile image72
                Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There was a little bit more than one piece of legislation passed by Bill Clinton and a republican majority Congress!

Legislation and programs

Major legislation signed

September 13, 1994: Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act
                October 25, 1994: Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act
                December 19, 1995: Lobbying Disclosure Act of 1995
                December 29, 1995: Interstate Commerce Commission Termination Act
                February 8, 1996: Telecommunications Act of 1996
                April 24, 1996: Antiterrorism and Effective Death Penalty Act of 1996
                August 20, 1996: Small Business Job Protection Act of 1996
                August 21, 1996: Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act
                August 26, 1996: Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act
                September 21, 1996: Defense of Marriage Act
                September 26, 1996: Mental Health Parity Act
                August 5, 1997: Balanced Budget Act of 1997
                August 5, 1997: Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997
                August 7, 1998: Workforce Investment Act of 1998
                October 31, 1998: Iraq Liberation Act
                November 3, 1998: Securities Litigation Uniform Standards Act
                November 12, 1999: Gramm–Leach–Bliley Act
                December 21, 2000: Commodity Futures Modernization Act of 2000
                [edit]Major legislation vetoed
                Private Securities Litigation Reform Act. The veto was overridden.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presidency … ion_signed

Compared to the current occupant of the White House, Bill Clinton was the bastion of bipartisanship!

Republicans took control of Congress during the 1993 mid-term elections,  EVERY piece of legislation that he endorsed after 1994 was passed by a Republican majority Congress,  Mr. Clinton can thank Newt and the rest of the Congress for passing monumental pieces of legislation for Bill to endorse.  If you do not call that bipartisanship, how would you define it?

By continuously complaining to the media like a full grown adolescent that he cannot work with the "Party of No"?  Complete and utter bulldroppings?  By closing out half of the Congress from sitting at the table to negotiate an amicable resolution to the nations problems?  Through not having the ability to maintain responsibility for his position?  By attempting to make excuse after excuse that nothing is his fault?  That an individual with absolutely no real world accomplishments felt it necessary to publish TWO autobiographies which is for the most part, full of lies, exaggerations, and falsehoods?  Is that your definition of a bipartisan President?

1. e-five profile image92

I seem to remember a similar kind of demonization about Clinton-- and his wife--- when he was president.  Also, maybe something about impeachment, a special proscecutor investigating every element of his life for his entire time in office, videos being pushed by fundamentalist preachers calling him a drug dealer, allegations that Vince Foster was murdered, the whole health care debacle, etc.  Fox News went on the air in 1996, and started in on him.  Rush Limbaugh and talk radio started up in the early 90s and hit their peak just in time to ravage Clinton-- in fact, the Telecommunications Act of 1996 that you cite was helpful in turning almost the entire AM band into a bunch of right wing talkers each trying to out-do each other on the horrors of his administration.

I really think you're mis-remembering the "good old days" of supposed bipartisanship.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image78
                    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

And then there was the Republicans saying their job is to make sure Obama is a one-term president...from the very beginning of his presidency. And who were not going to agree to anything he proposed even if they used to be in favor of it.

3. Reality Bytes profile image72
    Reality Bytesposted 11 years ago

I guess it all depends on who is conducting the poll?

Likely Voters: Carter Was a Better President than Obama
    11:55 AM, JUL 3, 2012

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/lik … 48085.html

According to a Newsweek/Daily Beast poll of likely voters, Barack Obama now rates behind Jimmy Carter in the pantheon of great presidents.  The poll asked likely voters to list the two best and the two worst presidents the history of the United States.  Here are the tallies, based on net results:

Voters’ list of the 10 best presidents:

1. Abraham Lincoln, +27 points (28 percent place in top-2, 1 percent place in bottom-2)
    2. Ronald Reagan, +25 points (31 percent place in top-2, 6 percent place in bottom-2)
    3. Franklin D. Roosevelt, +22 points (23 percent place in top-2, 1 percent place in bottom-2)
    4. John F. Kennedy, +19 points (19 percent place in top-2, 0 percent place in bottom-2)
    5. (tie) George Washington, +15 points (16 percent place in top-2, 1 percent place in bottom-2)
    5. (tie) Bill Clinton, +15 points (28 percent place in top-2, 13 percent place in bottom-2)
    7. Thomas Jefferson, +6 points (6 percent place in top-2, 0 percent place in bottom-2)
    8. (tie) Teddy Roosevelt, +5 points (5 percent place in top-2, 0 percent place in bottom-2)
    8. (tie) Harry S. Truman, +5 points (5 percent place in top-2, 0 percent place in bottom-2)
    10. Dwight D. Eisenhower, +4 points (5 percent place in top-2, 1 percent place in bottom-2)

Voters’ list of the 10 worst presidents:

33. (tie) Andrew Johnson, -2 points (0 percent place in top-2, 2 percent place in bottom-2)
    33. (tie) Warren G. Harding, -2 points (0 percent place in top-2, 2 percent place in bottom-2)
    33. (tie) Calvin Coolidge, -2 points (0 percent place in top-2, 2 percent place in bottom-2)
    36. (tie) Lyndon B. Johnson, -3 points (1 percent place in top-2, 4 percent place in bottom-2)
    36. (tie) Gerald Ford, -3 points (1 percent place in top-2, 4 percent place in bottom-2)
    38. Herbert Hoover, -4 points (0 percent place in top-2, 4 percent place in bottom-2)
    39. George H.W. Bush, -9 points (4 percent place in top-2, 13 percent place in bottom-2)
    40. Jimmy Carter, -20 points (5 percent place in top-2, 25 percent place in bottom-2)
    41. Richard Nixon, -24 points (2 percent place in top-2, 26 percent place in bottom-2)
    42. Barack Obama, -25 points (11 percent place in top-2, 36 percent place in bottom-2)
    43. George W. Bush, -39 points (4 percent place in top-2, 43 percent place in bottom-2)

Note: there are only 43 (rather than 44) presidents because Grover Cleveland (who tied for 25th) was both our 22nd and 24th president.

Thanks for that updated poll, RB. Good find!

I read through the entire poll and depending on what you wanted to highlight you could select out certain questions that show something quite different, indeed.
      The top and bottom numbers are aggregates and the questions were asked multiple ways so that a president would appear on the top list and the bottom list simultaneously.
      But point taken.

I have no doubt that here on HP there will be significantly (possibly even statistically significant lol) more who rate Obama down in the cellar with W and Carter than otherwise.

Just goes to show numbers can prove anything we want them to. Can't they?
      smile

2. e-five profile image92

Interesting that seven of the last nine presidents we've had are listed in the bottom eight spots on this poll.  Were they REALLY worse than Buchannan & Pierce (who did practically nothing as the Civil War developed), or Harding? And how do you even rate Garfield and William Henry Harrison, who were each only conscious for a few months or less in office?

That's easy. The poll is of a random sampling of Americans.
        I would maintain that the average American studied American history in high school civics (later social studies) class.
        Have zero memory of what they memorized back then.
        Only currently aware of what they have absorbed through the mass media and their own numbed out brains able to process.

Sorry to be harsh about this, but do you think the "average" American today can even name more than 8-10 presidents, let alone what they did or did not do in their administrations?

4. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 11 years ago

Reagan vs Obama is not a fair comparison....

Reagan was clinically dead for the last 3 years of his Presidency

5. Wayne Brown profile image79
    Wayne Brownposted 11 years ago

Deregulations is a sticky wicket for blame, Kathleen.  The U.S. airline industry was deregulated under the Carter Administration in 1978...was that such a bad thing? Most people can afford airline travel today because of that deregulation.  The deregulation of the trucking industry was fabricated under Carter and carried out in after Reagan was elected.  Up to 1980, approximately 100 carriers controlled the vast majority of the freight business in the  USA....most of them held under the thumb of the unions. There was little competition as all routes were insulated by granted authority.  After deregulation, just about every one of those top 100 companies disappeared because they did not know how to compete in the marketplace...they look to government to protect them.  Consumers again benefitted with lower freight rates and far more choices and today that industry is vibrant and growing in many areas.  Bill Clinton, with the help of Frank and Dodd, modified the Fair Housing Act and then went to work putting the pressure on the financial industry to drop their heavy financial scrutiny and join in the fray handing out 100% mortgages to anyone desiring it....damn the qualifying.  The Bush Adminstration warned Congress on numerous occasions that the situation in the home mortgage industry was out of control only to have it fall on the deaf ears of Democrat control in both chambers after 2007....the housing industry collapsed.  Ronald Reagan did not do that to us.  Neither did he stop the deregulation of the airline or the trucking industry by which we have benefitted over time.  Deregulating in the financial sector is not necessarily bad unless you have a government which is out pressuring the various key entities to engage in shaky transactions to foster the home mortgage policies designed to put everyone in a house....some utopian pipedream.  When it all came crumblilng down...the politicians ran away as usual and began a search for the guilty in the private sector.  Of course, there was not one there to testify that the government pushed things over the cliff....can't be....it's those greedy capitalist in the private sector doing it.  ~WB

6. junko profile image69
    junkoposted 11 years ago

WB, Your bottom line is so true Democrats and Republican Politicians were in on it when no regulations was in place and the private sector Financial world decided to redistribute Federal Loan Garranties and share through lobbyist and a bi-partsan manner. That's why regulation are needed to control Capitalism. Trucking and Airlines are about transportation Capital is about finance.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)