Are you for or against the invasion of Syria?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (36 posts)
  1. maxoxam41 profile image64
    maxoxam41posted 11 years ago

An IPSOS poll stated that 63% of the American people are against. 22% are for. Which one are you?
    I am against.

1. Silverspeeder profile image61
      Silverspeederposted 11 years agoin reply to this

As a UK national i am against.

Let Muslims fight for so called Muslim lands.

maxoxam41posted 11 years agoin reply to this

That is a racist statement. What about let the Syrian people fight against the extremist invaders. It would be closer to the truth. And so far, since we Westerners did not finance those mercenaries it would not have happened.
        When the Turkish people are fighting for their freedom against a muslim government established by the US. Look at Egypt, same type of government.
        I am wondering which criteria allow us to determine that one is a democracy and therefore we shall not intervene (Turkey) and the other is a dictatorship (Syria) given that a NATO report clearly stressed that more than 70% of the population supported Assad, that he asked for a referendum what we refused knowing that he would win the majority?

Maybe a religionist statement but not a racist one. (Is religonist a word? Maybe it should be the amount of times people get the meaning mixed up with racist)
          And Maxoxam many of the fighters for Allah are from many races.
          I would be happy if the UK stayed out of every conflict in so called Muslim countries and i would be happy to see those who believe there to be so called Muslim countries go and live there if they wish.
          Because Assad has the support of 70% of his people does that mean he should be allowed to kill the 30% that don't support him?
          Anyway if the Muslim brothers win in Syria they will have another platform for launching their rockets into Israel.

So far the only one constantly agressing its neighbor is Israel. Somalia, Lebanon, Syria, Sudan, Palestine, Turkey through its fleet were attacked within a year, let's not confuse roles.
            I've been to Baath "muslim" countries and they were very moderate religiously speaking. It is interesting to see that the real religious ones are from Saudi Arabia, Qatar that is to say countries that possess financially your country. How many Syrians live in your country? How many of them are extremists? Possess assets or have a political weight in the UK or elsewhere?
            Who did say that he killed 30% of his population? Don't you think that it is contradictory? Which dictator didn't flew his country? What do you think of a dictator who dreams of uniting the middle east in a commercial market similar to the UE? This kind of thinker will scare westerners that will see a potential economic power and another competitive platform in development.
            In the back of their minds Europe and the United-States enjoy the second-class countries status and low economic level of the middle east. Their economical growth is not in their interests.

I didn't say he killed i said should he be able to kill the 30% who don't agree with him. The radicals would love to annihilate Israel, after all its not a Muslim country and only Muslims will be tolerated in the middle east.
              Its funny how you see the determination to survive as an act of aggression.

It is a matter of semantic, didn't your "should" mean "led to the killing of 30% of the Syrians"? Otherwise where is the point of underlining it?
                Isn't it free to express any opinion on any country? We can criticize and condescend China, Iran but when it comes to the middle east criticizing Israel it's a NO-NO.
                The only aggressor is Israel. Which country did Syria attack?
                Determination to survive? Have you ever been there? I've never seen survivors as happy! Please what are you talking about?

You can criticize Israel all you like but that's all you seem to do and i suppose you are one of those who would see it wiped from the face of the earth also.
                  As for Syria it is without doubt the radical Muslim brothers have decided that Assad is the enemy and that Syria should be another Islamic state, that is why they flock from all over the world to fight Jihad.
                  I will agree though that without the backing of other states the middle east would probably be a more peaceful place, that is of course after the Muslim brothers have taken over.

I am not for the Jews to be exterminated from the world map, I am just against their middle east policy consisting in killing anybody that will express himself against them. Roland Dumas, former French foreign minister, just revealed it. Does it mean that you are agreeing with me, that the world, especially Syria in that matter doesn't need another Afghanistan fiasco where a Talibans-like regime will overthrow a more moderate one?

2. aguasilver profile image71
      aguasilverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Against, but I think it will happen anyway.

I am counting on the counterweight of Russia to dissuade the US to make such a glaring mistake. The Syrian army is among the strongest and their public opinion is aware of the Westerners' intentions towards their country. Nothing better to fuel patriotism.

1. aguasilver profile image71
          aguasilverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You could be right, Gog and Magog are about due to enter the scene right on cue....

3. Credence2 profile image79
      Credence2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am adamently opposed, another foreign entanglement? That is all we need right now. As with  our own civil war, why can't we let the primary players work out their own destiny without outside interference

I agree with your statement. Let them solve their problem. Our intervention only shows that we are protecting our future interests.

2. profile image0
        Justsilvieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

We are so of like minds!!!

2. HollieT profile image79
    HollieTposted 11 years ago

I'm against.

3. profile image0
    Sooner28posted 11 years ago

I'm against, because the rebels are not some sort of secular group fighting for freedom in Syria.  They have very conservative interpretations of the Koran, are very much supported by Al Qaeda, and have committed many human rights abuses themselves.  If two corrupt groups are fighting each other, who are we to intervene?

The real reason the U.S. wants to get involved in Syria is because of oil and power.  Syria is an ally of Iran, and if we can topple Syria, Iran has one less ally, and we are one step closer to controlling Middle East oil.

1. HollieT profile image79
      HollieTposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Exactly, perfectly stated!

2. maxoxam41 profile image64

It is exactly what is happening there. Independent news are echoing from your voice.

1. profile image0
        Sooner28posted 11 years agoin reply to this

We are now beginning to provide aide to the rebels.  The thing is, Syria isn't Libya.  Assad won't go down nearly as easy, so in addition to the reasons I outlined, it's also going to be incredibly difficult to "overthrow" him.

I don't believe that we just started our help. How do you think that impoverished radical muslims suddenly embark to Syrian land, have machine guns, can sustain a two year war if not through our help?
          I personally don't consider Assad as a dictator to dethrone. He suggested to the international community the organization of a referendum. Is it the language of a dictator?

3. IslandBites profile image89
      IslandBitesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"The real reason the U.S. wants to get involved in Syria is because of oil and power.  Syria is an ally of Iran, and if we can topple Syria, Iran has one less ally, and we are one step closer to controlling Middle East oil."

Agree 100% with your statement.

Oil and natural gas.

4. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

I haven;t seen any suggestion of invasion, what poll are you quoting?  The most I have seen suggested was providing arms.

I guess they're just using fighters other than the US and UK military. Although I suppose, that's not technically invasion.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well it isn't.  Any more that Russia giving government forces weapons is a coupe.

IMHO both sides are a nest of vipers.

I agree, they're just sending other nation's sons and daughters to their deaths, rather than their own.

The Russians entered the conflict because the US, Britain, Qatar, Germany, Turkey, Saudi Arabia and Israel were/are by proxy or directly attacking Syria.

Why don't you check the news? Independent ones. I guess you are for the intervention.

3. profile image0
      Sooner28posted 11 years agoin reply to this
  5. profile image55
    Education Answerposted 11 years ago

I'm opposed to an invasion, and I'm opposed to arming rebels.

1. profile image0
      HowardBThinameposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am also opposed to both an invasion and to arming the terrorist rebels in Syria. After seeing women lose rights in both Egypt and Libya, I'm none too confident that action in Syria would amount to anything better. The rebels are religious extremists - I'm never for promoting extremism over secularism. I guess we haven't learned our lesson from the days when our "arms" led to the development of Al Qaeda. I hear a "no fly zone" is being discussed. That would amount to a military action - or an "invasion," but we're just parsing words. When we enter into the conflict by giving one group the method with which to kill another group - we've already lost our soul. Russia is considering supporting Asaad. Then what would we have? A US/Russia war being fought by proxy? We don't really seem to care how many Syrians die. As long as we gain some control over our oil that lies beneath their sand.

Finally Reason prevails!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Ralph Deeds profile image65
    Ralph Deedsposted 11 years ago

I don't think Obama is planning to "invade" Syria. (An invasion would be a huge mistake in my opinion.)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)