Michael Flynn's resignation.

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (107 posts)
  1. peoplepower73 profile image90
    peoplepower73posted 7 years ago

Michael Flynn is a retired United States Army Lieutenant General who has just resigned for lying to VP Mike Pence about his conversations with Putin concerning lifting sanctions.  He is also the one who at the GOP convention rallied Trump supporters to shout "lock her up"  about Hillary Clinton and then followed that by she should be put in front of a firing squad.  Now he stands before congress and the American people with the possible charge of treason and could possibly be locked up himself.

1. Don W profile image83
      Don Wposted 7 years agoin reply to this

So when does the intelligence committee investigation start? As someone who takes national security very seriously, surely he would welcome an in depth investigation into his ties with the Russian state, to see if any crimes have been committed.

2. profile image0
      promisemposted 7 years agoin reply to this

He also is the same guy (with his son) who promoted the rumor that Hillary Clinton was involved in child sex trafficking and claimed Obama laundered money for Muslim terrorists.

"U decide - NYPD Blows Whistle on New Hillary Emails: Money Laundering, Sex Crimes w Children, etc...MUST READ! https://t.co/O0bVJT3QDr
      — General Flynn (@GenFlynn) November 3, 2016"

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/m … ump-232227

peoplepower73posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Jason Chaffetz and Trey Gowdy, as heads of  the GOP investigative committees raked Hillary over the coals for years about Benghazi and the emails.  Now Jason Chaffetez says he is not going to investigate Michael Flynn.  He would rather refer it to the House Intelligence Committee.  Chaffetz told reporters.  "I think that situation has taken care of itself. I know that the Intel committee is looking into the hacking issue," Chaffetz told reporters.

3. jackclee lm profile image82
      jackclee lmposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Before you jump the gun, I as a conservative, would like to get to the bottom of this. There needs to be an investigation by Congress to find out what was said and whether a crime was committed. Moreover, I want to know who in the intelligence community leaked this information to the press.
      Was there laws broken there as well? We can't have our leaders and political appointments spyed upon by our own intelligence without due cause. That is what happens in Soviet Russia and Dictatorships like Cuba...
      Don't dance in the street just yet. These events are common among any new administration including Obama's. It is sad how a public servant, a general, can be disaparaged in the media, because you disagree with his politics. If he broke the law, I have no problem with penalties including prison. Can you be as honest and open about some of Obama's appointees?
      Good luck thinking about that.

Jack:  All you have to do is read my latest reply to Kathleen.  Flynn did work for Obama and was fired by him.  The "leaking"  is a deflection that Trump is setting up to to take the spotlight off of Flynn and himself.  He is very good at distraction and deflection and bald facing lying, like he did on Air Force One when asked if he knew about Flynn's Russian involvement. I'm not dancing in the street.  I'm actually terrified about Stephen Miller and his rants about "This president is to never be questioned."  As you said "That is what happens in Soviet Russia and Dictatorships like Cuba..."

1. jackclee lm profile image82

So, where were you during the Obama years? The IRS investigation of conservative outfits...
          The NSA illegal spying..., the EPA that over reached and shut down the coal industry costing thousands of jobs... the debacle at the VA...
          It is good to keep an eye on our government, regardless which party is in power.
          Remember, power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

1. dianetrotter profile image61
            dianetrotterposted 7 years agoin reply to this

At this point, how productive is it to discuss Obama, Bush 43, Bush 41, Clinton, George Washington, etc.?

We are talking about the future and safety of the US.  There should be no argument about that.  Whatever the past presidents did is "DONE!" 

What is Trump capable of doing?  Is he in the pocket of Putin?  What is on his tax returns?  Is he mentally stable?  This is NOW needed.

2. dianetrotter profile image61

There is NOTHING common about this administration!

Explain...what is not common?
          What is not common is for a previous President Obama to stay in Washington DC and create a shadow government that is undermining the new Administration. can you point to any example of this in the past 200+ years of American history?

1. Credence2 profile image77
            Credence2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Jack lee, you're sounding hysterical. What is the proof behind your incredible assertion that Trump's mishaps are Obama's fault?

1.  Not providing tax information
              2.  Colluding with Russia to manipulate election
              3.  Posting ridiculous stuff on Twitter @ 3 am in the morning
              4.  Steve Bannon/Breitbart
              5.  Discussing top secret information @ dinner at Mira Lago with wives at table in open where anyone can hear
              6.  Bannon being placed over security council (a political operative)
              7.  Wife not staying in WH because she knows her husband is nuts
              8.  TRUMP trying to have his children help him be president
              9.  TRUMP kissing Putin's behind while putting down leaders of friendly countries
              10  Publicly requesting that Russia find HRC's 33K emails

If that is not enough for you, you are in over your head.

1. profile image0

A pundit on TV recently said that Trump has been more critical of the federal judges who stopped the travel ban than he has been of Vladimir Putin, a dictator and murderer.

That says a lot.

That's #11!

2. peoplepower73 profile image90

Jack:  Please enlighten me and others.  Where are you getting your information from that Obama is creating a shadow government?

Jack:  Never mind.  I did the research myself.  Here it is for the world to see. http://mm4a.org/2lHoIZ9

2. jackclee lm profile image82

Peoplepower, the problem is there are political appointees at all level of government who is leaking the information. Whether you support Trump or not, this is a problem. No administration should have to deal with unlawful leaks by political motivated hacks. Don't you agree?
                What Obama is doing is un-precedented. Why is he staying in Washinton DC?
                If the information is on the level of watergate, yes, I want to know it. That is the job of an unbiased press, to keep an eye on people elected to power? Don't you agree?
                I find it troubling with the in consistency of some people here on HubPages...
                They as so one sided, it makes my neck hurt...haha
                Look, we all want what is best of our country? Right? I hope we at least agree on that point.
                What we need is an honest government, and an honest press who keeps a watchful eye on the administration. Other than that, let the government do its work...
                You will have 4 years to vote again...

1. profile image0

Many of the leaks are coming from the top of the Trump administration. They are revealing things that only people at the highest level of the administration would know.

My bet is on the staff of Pence and Priebus.

Besides, Trump fired all of the top Obama officials on day one of his reign.

promisem:  That's an excellent point.  He "drained the swamp" of all of Obama's  experienced staff members and filled it with billionaires who have no experience in geopolitical foreign affairs.  Now we have Iran, North Korea, and Russia all testing Trump and his cohorts with missile tests, because they know his staff is vulnerable and we are vulnerable at this point without a qualified NSA chief. Russia even has an intelligence gathering ship right off our east coast.

You know better than that. There are appointments and there are career positions in all forms of governmemt including in the CIA and the FBI...These are the sources of leaks I suspect because they don't like an outsider coming to Washington shaking things up. I included both Republicans and Democrats in these groups because they are part of the ruling class for 50 years...I also include some Senators and Congressmen who has been in Washington a very long time. They are part of the problem and not the solution...comprende???

2. profile image0

You're right, all three of those countries are testing us, even to the point of Russia violating a major treaty that goes all the way back to Reagan.

And don't forget Australia. They're ready for war with us too.  smile

3. wilderness profile image95
                      wildernessposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Think we should blow that ship out of the water?  Is that what you want Trump to do?  Remember, it IS in international waters and has every right in the world to be there.

Are you suggesting that these countries have developed new missile tech in just 30 days, put it into production and tested it, all in one month? 

Or is it all just something more to scare people and increase their distrust of the President?

3. profile image0

By shadow government, do you mean the entire intelligence community he repeatedly insulted in public?

3. Credence2 profile image77

Most interesting though how the House GOP has been doing their best to ignore all of this and sweep it under the rug?

We all must insist upon answers, so let's keep the pressure on....

No Kumbaya!!!

Trump may be blackmailing GOP congress.  Thank God some of them will NOT be blackmailed.  GOP leadership is waiting for Trump's base to erode before they take action.  Shame on Chaffetz.  Do your Job!

2. profile image0

Fortunately, the GOP-controlled Senate is showing more responsibility and concern than the House.

1. Credence2 profile image77

You betcha!!!!!!

4. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
      Kathleen Cochranposted 7 years ago

You reap what you sow, or so it's been said.

5. peoplepower73 profile image90

Kathleen and what goes around comes around.  Also, my saying is, when you are an extremists, you can't help but be a hypocrite, somewhere along the line.

6. Stacie L profile image88
      Stacie Lposted 7 years ago

There may be more resignations in the near future.....

7. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
      Kathleen Cochranposted 7 years ago

Peoplepower72:  And we're surprised - why?  And they are considering Gen. Petraeus for a position in this administration - with a conviction on his record. You'd think they'd have a scintilla of shame.  That's politics.

Kathleen:  Flynn was Obama's Defense Intelligence Director from 2012 to 2014.  According to Colin Powell Flynn was fired for the following reasons:  "He was "abusive with staff, didn't listen, worked against policy, bad management, etc."  And according to The New York Times, Flynn exhibited a loose relationship with facts, leading his subordinates to refer to Flynn's repeated dubious assertions as "Flynn facts."

This is what you get when Trump's appointees are just rubber stamped through the vetting process by a controlling republican congress.  Checks and balances mean nothing.  It is all political theater at this point. Petraeus' convictions mean nothing to the republicans and Trump.  He has to fill the position immediately.  Again, he will be rubber stamped through, just like the rest of his cabinet.

8. peoplepower73 profile image90

Jack:  Are you trying to take the heat off of Trump, by looking back on Obama?  In my opinion and just common sense, the EPA didn't shut down the coal mines.The VA has been corrupt since the Bush years and still is.   There is no longer a demand for coal because of natural gas and technology being in demand. 

If you think Obama caused all those things, do you think that makes it O.K. for Trump and his adviser's involvement with the Russians while he was president elect?  Last time I looked, we are supposed to only have one president at a time. 

This is what happens when reckless people are in charge and are trying to get too many things done too fast. Now he is making it O.K. for mentally ill to buy guns.  Isn't that wonderful?!!!

No, I have a problem when our intelligence community if focusing more on our administration officials than the enemy of our country, like ISIS and Iran and North Korea...China...

I think Trump needs to clean house and replace all these intelligence heads who has not done their job well...they have in the past spyed on the American people and had to be stopped by the courts...

These career workers are playing a dangerous game with our lives. They did not like the results of the last election and is now acting like children...throwing a tantrum.

I had trouble with the FBI and how they handled the whole Hillary server affair. They are amatures and chose to look the other way and now they are spying and leaking to embarrass a new admin.

So sad for our country...

9. peoplepower73 profile image90

Jack:  So if I show you the sources for the information, you still want to believe that Obama is staying in Washington DC so that he can set up a shadow government of 30,000 liberals to undermine the Trump administration?  You and your conservatives just can't accept the fact that he is staying there for his own personal reasons other than setting up a shadow government. What Trump is doing is unprecedented and "un-presidented." 

I believe the purpose of the unbiased press is to present the unbiased news, not to keep an eye on people elected to power.  The government has it's own oversight apparatus that is supposed to do that, but in this case it refuses to do just that.  You are just as one sided as the people you say are one sided.  God help us if this impostor is in office for four years.

10. peoplepower73 profile image90

PhoenixV:  You got it wrong.  All you have to do is pay attention.  Steve Bannon, and Stephen Miller, Trump's Propaganda Ministers, ordered the media to "shut up and listen and Trump is not to be questioned.  Trump said he wants to pick and choose who attends his press conferences," Heil Trump. In Trump's own words, sad, sad, really, so  sad.

The rules of media access needs to be asdressed. When you have a biased media who is willing to create news instead of reporting on it, we have a problem.
        Under Obama, the media fawned over the administration and had no critical questions...but under Trump, they have gone over board in IMHO.
        There is noting wrong with allowing a different mix in the press pool. One that is more diverse and less hostile.
        It only becomes a problem if the access is restricted to only one political branch...
        That is not what is happening.
        To compare this to fascism is grossly unfair.

1. PhoenixV profile image63
          PhoenixVposted 7 years agoin reply to this

It is fascism. When you combine lefty propaganda with chicago union thug politics you get riots and burning cars.

All they need is a leader.

2. Credence2 profile image77

The media is only biased when they report on things that Trump and his circus clowns don't want to hear. You are so transparent in your obvious bias, Jacklee.

1. profile image0
            ahorsebackposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hogwash , you're looking at the liberal bias and THAT perfect sense of solidarity that liberal media bias offers your own   liberal ideology . just admit  It !

3. dianetrotter profile image61

Diversity is not the same as exclusion.

What if he decided to exclude all Asian reporters?

Why would he do that? Did asians news reporters make up bad things to say about Trump?

Everybody: I have started a new thing.  I switch between CNN and Fox news during breaking news.  It is incredible to compare the difference in what they are covering and how they cover it.  As an example when CNN was covering Flynn's resignation, Fox was covering what a great job Defense Secretary Mattis did with demanding NATO pays more for their defense spending. When Mattis was questioned about Flynn, he said, "It has no impact on this administration."  They made is sound like NATO was a done deal and very successful, when in fact they didn't even talk about specifics and that Flynn's resignation was no big deal, when if fact it is a very big deal.

Give it a try, you will see that people are living in two different worlds depending on whether they watch CNN or Fox news.  The emphasis is in different areas and presented differently.  Right now Fox is placing their emphasis on what Trump is saying about the leaks.  While CNN is placing their emphasis on what the Trump team was doing with Russia during the campaign.  So if you are not a Trump supporter, it is all about Trumps concerns about leaks, which to me is a distraction, compared to what the Trump's team was doing with the Russians.  But if you are Trump supporter it is about how unfair CNN is treating Trump.

1. profile image0

P.P. you should have said the difference between Fox news and ALL  the REST of mainstream media  .
              Obvious to most who feel  Fox is the only right media on TV.

http://thepoliticalinsider.com/content/uploads/2016/11/CwzZyxMUoAA5qQd-300x300.jpg

I was just reading a poll research on who is more likely to unfriend or block someone on social media because of a difference in ideology.

I will give you one guess.

( it was a poll on how untrustworthy the Clinton News Network is)

ahorseback: Are you saying Fox news is the only right wing media on TV or the only correct media on TV?  If it's right wing, there is also Brietbart and Alt Right. And of course there is Fake Dangerous Lying News, that Trump pontificates about.  I think the right wing created the term Mainstream media to separate themselves and their right wing brethren from the left.  Of course it makes it very easy for them to call it the Lamestream media as promoted by Sarah Palin and Rush Limbaugh et. al.  What should the right wing media be called, any ideas?

1. profile image0

How about  "extremely endangered" .   You now as well as everybody that mainstream media used to symbolize the " main " outlets   , ABC , CBS  , FOX , CNN  etc. , That is until liberal  ideologies bought there way into the  mainstream television media , social networks , and The Obama White House .

Problem; - Liberals have long forgotten that there is one" truth "!   And there is . Again you are just "rolling in it" knowing full well that most of the mainstream media  IS owned by you .They're VERY MUCH an entity of  the liberal ideology  . Brietbart is a fringe  alt right or - whatever .   

And so , Fake News is the new norm .

No, remember Kellyanne Conway saying "There are alternate facts."

2. PhoenixV profile image63

While the msm was celebrating hitlarys win the night before the election on their twitter accounts, all President Trump has is a twitter account. You are obviously wrong in your analogy.  The media is so obviously antagonistic to President Trump, that even a blindfolded Hellen Keller on a moonless night could see that.  The msm has been biased for years. The msm is the enemy of the American as described by others. The reason is they are propagandists of the lefty kind.  From ABC to SNL. Liberal msm make Nazi propaganda look like chump change compared to the equivalent of billions in air time.  Its lefty propaganda. Itsa machine. Its undeniable and its manifestly conspicuous.

11. jackclee lm profile image82
      jackclee lmposted 7 years ago

What is this about? I see it's your bio but what is this in response to?

This was a mistake posting. You can ignore it.
          I tried to open a question regarding plagerism of my hubs and it was taken down by the moderator at HP...this link was an orphan. Sorry for the confusion.
          This website copied many of my hubs and I need to report them.

12. PhoenixV profile image63
      PhoenixVposted 7 years ago

Warren Atherton(Republican), as one of the "fathers of the G.I. Bill." One might then term Edith Nourse Rogers, Republican-Mass, who helped write and who co'sponsered the legislation, as the "mother of the G.I. Bill"

13. PhoenixV profile image63

Both the EITC and the CTC were initially proposed, supported, and expanded by Republican policymakers with broad bipartisan support.

14. PhoenixV profile image63

Justin Smith Morrill

widely remembered today for the Morrill Land-Grant Colleges Act that established federal funding for establishing many of the United States' public colleges and universities.

He was one of the founders of the Republican Party.[3]

15. profile image0
      Onusonusposted 7 years ago

If you think Flynn should be locked up but Hillary shouldn't, you're a special kind of stupid.

Onusonus:  Thank you so much.  I really appreciate the compliment. I think you are a special kind of ___________ as well.

1. profile image0

The FBI  has just announced that there will be NO investigation of Flynn !   What does THAT tell the establishment left  Or the divisive and completely biased media .
          So much for" Fake news "

I Wonder if THAT  will make a headline ?

ahorseback:  This is from the Hill  None of these is fake news.  It is all verifiable facts.

"House Oversight Committee Chairman Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah) said Tuesday that his panel won't investigate the circumstances that led to Michael Flynn stepping down Monday as President Trump's national security adviser. Instead, Chaffetz deferred to the House Intelligence Committee, which is already investigating Russia's attempt to influence the presidential elections, a scope that includes campaign communications with the Russian government.

"I think that situation has taken care of itself. I know that the Intel committee is looking into the hacking issue," Chaffetz told reporters.

"I think he did the right thing stepping down."The Washington Post reported Monday night that then-acting Attorney General Sally Yates had warned the White House counsel before Trump fired her last month that Flynn had misled the public about his communications with the Russian ambassador after the Obama administration announced sanctions in response to election-related hacking."

Talk about hypocrisy, He and Trey Gowdy spent years and million of dollars investigating Hillary Clinton.

Comey briefed the Senate investigation committee yesterday.  Marco Rubio, after hearing Comey, said he thinks the committee is going to be able to investigate in a productive manner.

It's good they aren't focusing on Flynn.  They got information from him that will help their investigation.

2. dianetrotter profile image61

The sad thing is that people can't respectfully disagree.  I don't understand it People.

Smerconish was talking about the need for more people "in the middle" for us to get to the point of bipartisanship.  Right now we have Hard Right and Hard Left.  Supposedly the millenials are going to change that trend.  We will probably be dead by then.

Have you heard of the "Whole Foods v.s. Cracker Barrel" book and theory.

The country is divided and for good reason. I do blame the media for not reporting the news but spin it to their liberal agenda. We will all be better informed and less polarized if the media was truly un-biased. It is ok to have opinion articles appearing on the editorial pages. That was always the case. However, with the decline of ethics on the part of journalists, and the editorial room, we see these conflicting opinions played out in hard news. Let the reader beware.

The format that I see on most media is
              1.  Report the new (show clips, quotes, etc.)  This should be inarguable
              2.  Panel discussion (there are conservatives and liberals taking turns and addressing each other)

You don't think that brings balance

Jack:  What do you call Fox news, Brietbart, and Alt Right spinning it to their conservative agenda?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)