Were families more united during slavery?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (81 posts)
  1. dianetrotter profile image61
    dianetrotterposted 6 years ago

At a campaign event earlier this year, an audience member asked Moore for his opinion on when the last time America was "great." Moore responded: "I think it was great at the time when families were united—even though we had slavery—they cared for one another…Our families were strong, our country had a direction."

1. colorfulone profile image78
      colorfuloneposted 6 years agoin reply to this

You got an audio / video with Moore saying that?

dianetrotterposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Video Listen to Roy Moore comments on family, slavery and when America was great

Alabama Republican Senate candidate Roy Moore speaks on Sept. 17, 2017 at an event in Florence, Ala.

Copyright © 2017, Los Angeles Times
        Roy Moore

Anne Arundel Democrats call on Michael Peroutka to resign

Roy Moore, Steve Bannon and racial progress: Five myths about Alabama  | Opinion

http://www.latimes.com/politics/95396983-132.html

2. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 6 years agoin reply to this

First, I would wonder what makes him think families were more united then?  Obviously, he wasn't alive at that time, so where does this idea come from?

But, no, I have no reason to believe families were more united during the time of slavery.  In fact, families were torn apart because of slavery.

True!  The slave masters raped the slaves.  The wives could say nothing.  My Tate ancestors were on a plantation in Kershaw County.  Mary Boykin Chestnut wrote about her husband's having children with the slaves.  She was an abolitionist.  She was a Boykin and married a Chestnut.  I have Boyking and Chestnut surnamed relatives from Kershaw County, SC.

Mary Boykin Chesnut
        https://ehistory.osu.edu/biographies/ma … in-chesnut

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 … 325-2521r/

1. profile image0
          PrettyPantherposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Very interesting!  Learning about one's ancestry is like reading a great novel. smile

My aunts and uncle, 88, 90 & 92, love for me to ask them questions and pull information together.  I plan to go to Alexandria, VA, and Harnett County, NC, either next year or the year after.  I trace Nelson/Moss family back that far.

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
              Randy Godwinposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Researching one's family tree is a rewarding and sometimes surprising venture, Diane. Have you considered a DNA test? I think I'm gonna try one to see where my other ancestors hailed from other than those I've already traced.  Good luck! smile

I've tested w/ Ancestry and FTDNA.  I'm going to test w/ 23&Me to cover the bases.  It is very interesting and keeps me from getting Alzheimers!

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
                  Randy Godwinposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Ha! I already have "oldtimers" disease, Diane. smile

I've had CRS for quite some time now.  "Can't remember szet!"

3. Readmikenow profile image95
      Readmikenowposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I listened to what was presented by the LA Times.  What I heard was a politician giving an answer off the top of his head and not making any sense.  I would have to say it doesn't matter what families were like pre or post the civil war era.  None of us will know the reality because we can  only read other people's accounts of it. Families are different now.  Issues families have to deal with are different.  When I was growing up, if your mother had a job that meant your family was facing some hard economic times.  It was something that made you feel embarrassed. Now, if your mother doesn't have a job you feel embarrassed. As a kid, people in an interracial marriage were people you avoided.  I had a friend who married a black girl, and the stories they told me about the families on both sides were incredible.  Now, it's not so much of a big deal.  I think we need to look at the issues of today and deal with them.  I hope people STOP comparing life today with life over a hundred and fifty years ago...we're different people facing a very different world.

2. Tim Truzy info4u profile image94
    Tim Truzy info4uposted 6 years ago

From all the research I've read, families existed in all types throughout the history of our nation. There was the nuclear family, extended family, single-parent families, and families derived from just living together (cults, business arrangements, etc.), so What does Roy mean by family?
    When Roy said our country had a direction - which direction is he referring to? The continued oppression of minorities and women during slavery? Maybe he was referring to the Confederacy as his country. (Send that man a note. Alabama lost that war along with the other southern states.)
    The definition of what a "family" is happens to be more fluid than Moore appears to be.
    (maybe Dr. Phil can help him on that one.)

I would love for him to explain how he knows about the strong families.  He had to know that the slaveowners and their male family and friends  raped the slaves.  The more I think about it the more ridiculous his assertion is.

1. Tim Truzy info4u profile image94
        Tim Truzy info4uposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I agree. I wonder if this is an example of the "cultural war" of politics which the far right love to practice. Roy has to know that, like P.P. said families were torn apart by the issue.  Steve Bannon once said that in the "cultural wars, the far right always wins." I think this is where we get this ridiculous statement from - it's calculated to make sure those who would have voted for him anyway come to the ballot boxes. Also, he's putting the rest of us who may not know of him on notice as to where he really stands.
        Even more important: It's another example of why we need groups like Run for Something to seek out and put law makers from diverse backgrounds into local, and when possible, national leadership roles.

You have probably heard my chorus a few times.  "It is a heart matter."

It doesn't matter what party is in.  People (each and every one) must respect the right of everyone else to exist and have full access and opportunity.

3. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 6 years ago

No , there were plenty of families that weren't  united during slavery :   Both of my great -great grandfathers , before they were even fathers were separated from their loved ones  too . Here is a list of things they were doing back during the Civil War and slavery ,of course they were white and not subject to slavery; nor were they allowed the victimology so easily assumed by many today;
    --Both union soldiers
    --Marching from Washington D.C. to Georgia
    --Sleeping on the ground or in white canvas tents
    - Laying in civil war hospital wards with healing wounds from ;
    --Gettysburg , The Wilderness , Antietam , Leesburg
    --Eating hard tack and drinking coffee if they had it
    --Marching between battles and the lulls between
    --Patching leather boots rotted by the walking in mud , blood and dust

Of course , they weren't allowed automatic victimology like the above and below .

1. profile image0
      ahorsebackposted 6 years agoin reply to this

FACT;
      It is the greatest irony and lie of modern times that the democrats call themselves the hero's of  the slave era , of civil rights , of  equal rights ........etc.  When as one reads real history , ------looks at the D--or --R before the opposition names ; We find that it was the democrats that fought racial progress all the way from  BEFORE the writing of the constitution to the modern affair of media and democratic party love affair.
      But who continues on with the popular victim clause ?
      The same opposition party as opposes true progress today , Democrats.

The topic here is Roy Moore's illusion about the "family" during slavery.

1. profile image0

And I notice your "illusions"  always goes to racism .  But we thought the TOPIC is "united families during slavery" so why is real history a. deferred subject matter ?  Or shall all our responses be simply about racism like yours, I notice you ignored the subject of soldiers in my family so  divided  by the civil war , Reasons?

Interestingly , One thing I'm considering is a series of articles about Democratic opposition to  civil rights . I suppose many liberals would simply ignore them .

I didn't ignore your comment about white men going to war and being away from their families.  They did!  The slaveowners chose to war because they wanted to continue having slaves, raping them, commiting adultery, etc.

You are right.  There were no family values.

1. profile image0

Actually I didn't say there were no family values  I have however said there ARE none now. Any real historian knows we were far more morally inclined  then than now however . 

Family then that was divided was far more likely to be so because of economics and thus economic migrations .  Even in slavery black or white families were far more morally centered than today. We are evolving away from family and towards social  groupings today .  That , I believe ,is more than obvious.

I agree.  The irony or sequence:  Don't have an abortion.  I hope it is a girl so I can molest her as a teen.

Personally, I don't believe in abortion either.  However, I think people put a microscope on the things they determine to be most important ignoring their own fallacies.

2. dianetrotter profile image61

Families were not divided because men were the bread winners.  There was no birth control so they ended up with one to two dozen kids (seriously).  The women did not know how to take care of the kids and work.  They were at a grave disadvantage.  So men had outside children and the women could say nothing.

Remember it took the suffrage movement for women to vote.  There was a time women couldn't get a home mortgage.  Their names didn't even show up on deeds with their husbands.

Women had no choice!

1. profile image0

--I still contend that women , mothers, families were closer , more centered and less morally divided than today ,
                  -- Women generally not only grew what they all ate , prepared it ,  fed it and grew it again . But were far , far  less likely to fail at family  constructs than they are today.
                  Don't under value woman's contributions then .
                  --I doubt that women's issues  were very important then as they are today , they had no time .
                  --Were women socially, culturally  dominated by men , yes.

But  today we slip continually backwards in maintaining family units .  I blame that one  on boys  becoming  fathers before they are men .  Girls  becoming mothers before they are women  and neither  men or women capable of maintaining as moral and character positive influences .

ahorse, I'm with you.  I use to tell my high school students that they were in school to learn not make out and get pregnant.  I've witness 12 and 13 year old girls being pregnant.

This is a moral crisis!  An economic crisis! a mental and emotional crisis for the kids!

3. wilderness profile image94
                wildernessposted 6 years agoin reply to this

"Any real historian knows we were far more morally inclined  then than now however .  "

And interesting statement, considering that:
                Women were second class people, not entitled to rights of men
                Children were little more than obnoxious pets, and beaten violently as punishment
                There was no tolerance whatsoever for anyone not agreeing with (local) Christian philosophies
                Work conditions were deadly, with no one caring whether workers lived or died.
                Slavery of other people was normal and accepted.

I could go on - the list is nearly endless - but it's pretty plain we've come a long, long way.  The relatively picayune moral issues we're so concerned about today just don't compare to what was considered normal, right and proper 500 years ago.

1. profile image0

But what good is to "...Come a long way ...." in a culture , media or society  , at least we may have in  our perception of that , IF the family unit suffers further decline now  ?    Surely you don't think the family unit is more united now ?
                  I would have to argue that .

I'd love to address this but you would say I'm proselytizing.  Actually, I would!  I will say that there is no unity in what people value.

I agree!

4. Credence2 profile image78
                Credence2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

"Morally inclined"? Depends on your point of view, if morality included people enslaving others then lets have more immorality. As for the rest of you post, it is all debatable, not obvious.

1. profile image0

Credence , Always to the victim-hood and racism huh , And yes family constructs  were more moral in America ,  centered  and closer , whatever the ethnicity    Divorce for one thing wasn't a social fad like it is today.  I suggest you read a few history books , it's simply egocentric and blind  to suggest today's families are tighter .

If we want to blame someone for today's  family problems , look to your  Democratic organized social , safety net programs .  Planned Parenthood for one and  general welfare programs , Planned .Parenthood   now undergoing  an FBI investigation for selling aborted fetuses .

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
                    Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

No, divorce wasn't a social fad like it is today.  I am horrified at how easy it is to get a divorce in some parts of the world.  When I got divorced in Australia (after my husband ran off with one of his 19-year-old students...), I had to wait 2 years.   In the circumstances, I'd like to have gotten it over with faster - but actually I think the delay is a good thing.  it makes people realise the seriousness of what they're doing.

However, I think that "in the old days" it went too far the other way.  Both men and women stuck it out in miserable marriages for so many reasons.  My parents had me in their forties so I had an insight into the generation that grew up in the wars.   I think my parents were happily married but I saw so many of their friends who barely tolerated their spouses, but were stuck in marriage for so many reasons - either because the social stigma of divorce was too great, or because they had no money of their own, etc.

I suppose if you are the sort of unforgiving person who says marriage is for life even if your husband beats you, you wouldn't see that as a bad thing.  I hope most people would have more compassion.

2. Credence2 profile image78

It is sort of hard to talk about slavery in America without racism playing a role, do you think, Ahorseback?

4. Tim Truzy info4u profile image94

Exactly. My ancestors from a tribe here as well as of African-American descent were busy trying to help slaves escape from those "perfect" "families." Although one party isn't to blame, as D.T. points out, here of late, the far right has been going after the "access" points to power for those marginalized groups. This started in the 1960's, when LBJ took up the cause of the disenfranchised, in order to give them more routes to power in our nation (education, food and other resources, more mobility in the military, etc.) The Democrats proclaimed: "We have lost the South," and this was LBJ's party.
    However, the Republicans seized on this: they called it the plan for the Solid South. This referred to getting White southerners to vote for them to restrict those avenues to power (voting, education, etc.) Apparently, it worked in some regard.
    Only in a limited fashion, of course. Many are not fooled. The only way to render victimization a mute point is to be proactive in our democracy. This includes all families, regardless of revised language about historical misstated facts.

I agree with you Tim!

5. Tim Truzy info4u profile image94

Actually, I would look forward to reading your articles about Civil Rights and the Democrats. Now, let me thank you and your family for fighting for the U.S. during that troubled and bitter time in our past. Perhaps, race appears to creep up when the intentions are not bad in our forums is because we are trying to have an open conversation about these things as Americans. We all can agree that the truth has been shifted around, watered, changed, and altogether left out because these parties want to control the narratives. It's our America - we can write the narrative.

6. Tim Truzy info4u profile image94

That's why for Roy to say such a thing is a slap in the face for those who know better. I believe he does, too. He wants people like us to offend each other and further divide our nation. That's part of the tactic of cultural warfare.
    The anger is used to make us all sensitive to the slightest comment while he walks away with the prize. (Again, I am not just blaming one party; it's just what's happening right now.)
    Of course, logic tells us: there had to be good White, Black, Native, and others during the Civil War era and before. Otherwise, that odd institutions (Lincoln's words) Of slavery would not have ended. Likewise, there were atrocious people; many of them were White plantation owners.

7. Tim Truzy info4u profile image94

I think learning how to be parents is essential. That's not happening because of external forces on the family dynamic. Young people grow up not knowing how to take care of kids or themselves. (That's one social program we can create that would benefit the whole of society. It's matter of approaching it the right way.)
    It's worth noting: When force of any kind takes away choices of the individual to act as an adult, how can that be better? When force is placed on an enslaved population to act according to the dictates of a master, how can that  be a better time? Perhaps, if you are not a member of the poor White indentured servants, Blacks, or women during that period, it's heaven I'm sure.
    The family unit is in a state of flux today. There are few Brady bunches running around or Evans family (Good Times.) However, single-parents are still here (America looks more like Sanford and Son, That;'s my Mommy, What's happening, etc. Those television families did not seem to focus on constant turmoil.)
    What's happened lately is the prevalence of drugs and a gradual turning away from the church. There's part of the morality issue. However, morality cannot be legislated. (We tried that with Prohibition.)
    "Strong family," by its very definition, is a loaded phrase. The family unit changes over time anyway. People grow up and move out. This may be a cultural thing, but I think we are seeing a genuine shift in our perceptions of family. For instance, older children who have careers are moving their elderly parents with them or returning home. Baby Boomers retiring caused a shift in the concept of "family." Or maybe Roy was letting us know that women belong beneath him. I can'[t be sure where that guy is coming from.

Tim, I promise, before reading your comments, I thought to myself, "You can't legislate morality."

Many aspects of society either contribute to or add distaste to the concept of morality.
      1.  The current religion thing going on now with who to vote for and how to vote is pathetic.
      2.  The church did not progress with integration.  Now many of the churches that are not multicultural are dying.
      3.  School policy is don't curse; however, all of the songs the kids hear are about sex, drugs and violence.
      4.  Reality shows glamorize immoral living.  The Kardashians is a prime example.  The mother-manager wants her kids doing things that increase ratings.
      5.  Movies have outrageous cursing in them.

The list goes on.

1. profile image0

You could not have said this any better .++++++

2. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Do you find that uttering certain words, words that change with time, is immoral?  As opposed to merely objectionable, at least to you?

8. Tim Truzy info4u profile image94

I'm sorry; I don't remember ever stating my party affiliation. (Who's really on an ego trip, here?) You are entitled to your opinions, but you probably should do more reading yourself. Then, we could have a conversation void of personal attacks. Or perhaps, someone is misrepresenting who they really are. You see, I can have an opinion without a personal attack. Slavery was brutal, families were ripped apart because of it, and if you don't want to comprehend that simple fact - then, enjoy your opinion. There was this thing called the Civil War that happened, too. We do have monuments around from that war, also. Study up on it.
    For someone to suggest that families of that era were somehow superior than now otherwise indicates a feeling for the system which your own ancestors fought against. (Again, no personal attack.) Try responding that way.
    You don't even know if I voted for the Trump machine or not.
    You don't even know if I voted for
    Barack Obama.
    I never said in my post that families were "stronger" or better. I questioned motivation of Roy. There was no research at the time conducted on families from any respectable source. Read, read, read. I'll know if you did, my friend.
    God bless you. (You see, morals are still alive and well just changing. But before, women couldn't hold top exec positions,
    Black people couldn't become president or lead the Joint Chief of Staff. Where did they learn to work to obtain those positions. Hint: it wasn't from people telling them slavery offered them a better opportunity.).)

1. profile image0

You might try addressing who your talking to.

1. colorfulone profile image78
        colorfuloneposted 6 years agoin reply to this

+1
        "(You see, morals are still alive and well just changing. But before, women couldn't hold top exec positions, Black people couldn't become president or lead the Joint Chief of Staff. Where did they learn to work to obtain those positions. Hint: it wasn't from people telling them slavery offered them a better opportunity.)" - TIM TRUZY INFO4U

Its subversion.  It was the Democrats, the Klan.  Attack the black Republicans, burn the cross, lynch them, and call them the Uncle Toms, the house 'n' word.  The opposite is true.  The dumbing down of America! 
        Added:
        "First black senator from SC reads hate mail on the Senate floor — and only those that didn’t use the N-Word"
        Read more at http://www.patheos.com/blogs/frenchrevo … Ty22AXp.99

Added:  "Did you know that the Democratic Party defended slavery, started the Civil War, founded the KKK, and fought against every major civil rights act in U.S. history? Watch as Carol Swain, professor of political science at Vanderbilt University, shares the inconvenient history of the Democratic Party. "

The Inconvenient Truth About the Democratic Party
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_a7dQXilCo

Research it out fact by fact.  That could take months, years on Google, if you dig deep.

Thank you Tim!  I hate for every forum question to end uup being the very same, regardless of how it starts.

1. profile image0

We are all equally guilty of injecting the same bias and prejudice's into the political conversation , you think the above isn't ? You think you  especially are above that somehow ?
        Oh I could go on .........

9. Tim Truzy info4u profile image94

Another important point: we are all one race. President Lincoln (Are you a fan?) said that when freedom is diminished for the one then all of democracy suffers. Now, he was a lot wiser than Roy. So, you constantly scream "victimization," perhaps, you don't understand you are a victim yourself because freedom is not the possession of a few.

10. colorfulone profile image78
    colorfuloneposted 6 years ago

"I hate for every forum question to end uup being the very same, regardless of how it starts." 
    - dianetrotter

"Huh?  "hate". 
    I like to end in truth and love, but it is difficult when there is 'hate'.

11. Tim Truzy info4u profile image94

It's called speaking with a little taste. Speaking in general will make a guilty conscious show through. If you are feeling guilty, progress, my friend.
    In any case, my questions were not answered: A marriage where partners are not equal is one reason why divorce hovers around 50 percent. (Should we legislate morality? Tell a wife she has no rights. Tell her husband he has the deed to her life?)
    This is why you can never convince a thinking person somehow marriages and the family was better when the wife could get murdered by her husband and society ignored it. What about the children? Oh, yes, they were "property" too in that type of society.
    Forget the pre-Civil War Era, what Roy wants is the Neanderthals to come back alive. They're dead, too, just like the Confederacy.
    It takes courage to reshape and reform society along new norms. Going backwards is counterproductive and people who have earned their rights will not give them back to please some played out ideas about what something was like.
    Roy may win today, but rejected his ideas years ago.

1. profile image0

To your way of thinking my friend , quite typical of today's media  informed ,  all things traditional are then  prejudiced by bias , ignorance , right wing , sexist , hate ,   "neanderthal" thought , .....etc....? What's lacking in your interpretation however is our common knowledge of that , yes , today's american culture is  less moral , less religion based , less generally self or culturally disciplined AND particularlly  less honest period .

"Thinking person " ?   Afraid not so much today , today's average "thinking person ", no personal offense to you , is more than likely often shallowly informed than you think.   With our totally liberal education system most of the "thinking today " isn't thinking at all it's simply  pre-programmed thought  and of that programming , biased in all genuine historical truth .

Oh and your reasons for failed modern  marriages are also naively not-thought out , If you think it's male domination alone that's the issue , you just proved me right .  Woman's lib ,  two worker homes ,  less married committal to sacrifice , jees , I could go way on ...........

Thinking man ?    You may be getting there but ,..............

12. Tim Truzy info4u profile image94

Excellent, we agree there is a problem. A starting point. No I don't completely blame male domination, the factors are extensive and diverse. But (hypothetical because I do not know nor wish to query), would either one of us want our sisters in a relationship where they had no say? How about mothers? Aunts etc.?
    Just something to ponder.
    The conditions women experienced after helping extensively during and after W.W. II caused them to push for change. Good for them.
    They had already demonstrated their ability to mobilize to force the Prohibition Amendment (which was repealed). They needed no help from me. Demographically, women will  soon surpass men as the majority in the U. S. population.
    Of course, both parties know this. I don't think playing to the idea that women are meant to behave in a submissive role as they did during the pre-civil War era is going to play well for either party.
    We as Americans will make it  work.

1. profile image0

I agree ,   I have never said women should be dominated or as in my situation dominant .....:-}   But  its simply the closer relationships of family units that I proposed
      was in effect.  Believe me , I've seen male dominance , that 's why I believe that Men today  are the cause of almost all family problems , was that true then , I don't really know .

Today , I know many women who feel that woman's lib hasn't produced the greatest results with too many working mom's ,    divided families ,  too much for economic pressures on the family unit all together , and more so today.  I say enact legislation to equalize pay for women  ! Now.

See , in spite of popularly held opines ,nothing is real  obvious or predictable about my independent opinions.

Amen!

13. profile image0

".........EVEN THOUGH WE HAD SLAVERY ................."

Aside from other allegations , Could somebody point out how saying that makes a man a racist  ?

If it does then I know who the real racist's are  .

This means he thought white families were united, never mind that they treated Black people like animals and tore their families apart.

It was good for the slaveowners.  That is what was important to him.

1. profile image0

Diane ,   you can read "racist" in about any sentence spoken ?

It's one thing to discuss racism , another to read it in anything that's ever spoken though ?

So how were the families of slaves united?

1. profile image0

So you  comprehend when he's  saying  "....Families were more united even though we had slavery "  As that it somehow means that he's a racist because he's answering to that even during slavery ,  actual families were or weren't more united ?
            I can't make the connection of his being accused of racism because of that sentence though ?

We all realize some were broken families because of slavery  , at least I think.

You are reading more into question.  The question is about families being united, EVEN though there was slavery.  Should we believe that the slaves families were united even though they were slaves?

1. profile image0

Somewhere in the region of 60 to 67 % % of black families today have single parenthood ? Which makes our entire society of any color today ,shameful . Was it worse then ?  I can't find the numbers for back then . Where are WE failing today ?

1. Credence2 profile image78

DAmn it, Ahorseback don't be so obtuse. Would you want to have been a slave? It is not a matter of 'numbers'. Your man, Moore, is a bigoted clown of unfathomnable dimension.

1. profile image0

Did you have your coffee this morning ?

So you agree with Roy Moore that "even though" they were slaves, their families were united.

14. profile image0

So wiki- says 67% now aren't united ,according to  different sources many , many slave families were united, could it have been worse then than now- is what I'm asking?
    You know,  I don't really care much for Moore he seems too establishment politician  to me  , yet exactly how is he wrong ?

15. Tim Truzy info4u profile image94

Remember: Alabama is a conservative state. This mean they reject those worn out ideas as well. It wasn't a liberal thing, it was an American  decision.
    Alabama feels that a democrat can represent them better than More - again, after not having a Dem. in that  position for decades.
    DJT said let the people of Alabama decide. They did. Our families are changing just like Ala. has. We will survive and thrive. It's what we do well as Americans. In fact, an "outsider," Winston Churchill once said that America will try and try again until she gets it right.

This forum was great. See you guys around Hub Pages. God bless America.

Thank you for your input Tim!

16. profile image0

Once again , Democrats  explode  Into their highly regarded courtrooms  of public opinion , the halls of ajudicated hypocrisy and the  jury's of media orchestrated  outcome , electing one more swamp dweller .

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)