jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (16 posts)

Is it OK to tell atheist jokes?

1. Oztinato profile image84
    Oztinatoposted 2 years ago

Is it OK to tell atheist jokes?

Was Richard Dawkin's book "Brief Candle in the Dark" really just about his honeymoon?
    Is it acceptable to make such atheist jokes online?

2. jlpark profile image86
    jlparkposted 2 years ago

Sure.

As long as they are meant in jest, rather than in malice - there is nothing wrong with jokes about faith or lack thereof (as in this case).

If one's faith, or lack thereof, cannot stand up to a wee bit of jovial banter and ridicule at it's own expense, then one should really look at why they hold those beliefs, as one must be able to laugh at one's self and ones' ideals, to acknowledge the 'weaker' parts of them in others eyes. It can strengthen the hold on the ideal that the person has.

When it is meant in malice, not jest, it's abusive. Either way - religionist to atheist or vice versa.

Heck, if one can't laugh at one's self, then life is terribly serious, and very boring. I enjoy a good joke about things that I either hold as ideals or embody - I'm a gay woman, who happens to be an atheist. As long as the jokes are meant in jest (and not homophobia) I can laugh at a gay joke, a joke about women, or atheists - as long as they aren't nasty and are at least funny. My colleagues include a Muslim, A Mormon, several Catholics, a couple of agnostics, and me (all are straight except me too) and we can all have a giggle at our own expense, and I like the fact that my colleagues are comfortable enough with me to give me stick about being gay etc...and vice versa.

Online is a little different - you can't see tone, but you can usually figure it out - one just has to be careful to make tone obvious.

I know that a few people here have big issues with religion, and a few have huge issues with atheists.....I'd tell them to be careful with tone.
    (Good grief I'm long winded...sorry)

Oztinatoposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Not at all. Very good answer. You sound real. I should pick this as best answer but I'll just wait a bit and see as it's only been up a few minutes (oooo I hear you say)

3. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8475848_f260.jpg

Nope, it isn't okay to tell atheist jokes.  Such as it isn't okay to tell religionist jokes, ethnic jokes, LGBT jokes, racial jokes, gender jokes, & jokes dealing with a specific category of people.  Such jokes are in poor taste.  Jokes should be inclusive, never exclusive.  For example, an astrological joke is fine because it is inclusive while a joke relating to Christians isn't because it is exclusive.

Thanks. You're probably correct. My question was in response to another question re is it ok to tell jokes about Christians. It seems atheists like to tell jokes about Christians but not vice versa.

2. Medvekoma profile image82
      Medvekomaposted 2 years agoin reply to this

The difference between the things you listed that genders, sexual identity, ethnicity and race are things that are possibly permanent and impossible to change, things you are born with. Religion is an opinion that can be changed.

4. Medvekoma profile image82
    Medvekomaposted 2 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12861133_f260.jpg

Atheism is just another opinion, it can be criticized, ridiculed or made fun of. It's part of your freedom of speech?

The real question is whether you want your freedom of speech sound like the 'freedom to be a prick', which is where ridiculing categories and groups of people will eventually lead to.

Race and religion are often synonymous so the Atkinson quote is incorrect. To be Tibetan or Indigenous for example religion is integral to one's race and culture. Atheism however tends to more neatly fit into the Atkinson quote.

5. M. T. Dremer profile image94
    M. T. Dremerposted 2 years ago

I've chuckled at a few atheist jokes I see on facebook. So yes, it's okay.

6. Billie Kelpin profile image88
    Billie Kelpinposted 2 years ago

I call myself an atheist because I don't want to be confused with anyone who believes in God as separate than us - the whole universe with everything in it is God to me - not immutable, but ever changing, not looking over each of us - we're just part of it all.  Having said that and thus identifying with the term atheism as a "non-believer" I would love to hear an atheist joke - or even a pantheist joke for that matter.  I can't imagine what that would be, but I'd enjoy laughing at myself because I enjoy laughing at the whole silly, unfathomable, amazing mess of it all

In no way could you be described as an atheist. Hindus believe exactly the same thing for example.

2. Billie Kelpin profile image88
      Billie Kelpinposted 2 years agoin reply to this

smile

7. tamarawilhite profile image92
    tamarawilhiteposted 2 years ago

Yes, especially given how often atheists mock the religious. It is only fair.

Totally agree! I think there is a great need for atheist jokes about atheists. At the moment 99.9'% of "atheist" jokes are about Christians!

8. B M Gunn profile image61
    B M Gunnposted 2 years ago

Of course. Everyone needs to be able to poke fun at themselves, and be able to take it when someone makes a joke.

In all good comedy, SOMEONE must be offended.

You could be right. John Cleese also says the basis of humour is offensive. It might be worthwhile to analyze the psychology of it one day. ie why is offensive funny etc

Closed to reply

working