jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Why is it that Russia and China don't have a immigration problem?

1. JON EWALL profile image73
    JON EWALLposted 6 years ago

Why is it that Russia and China don't have a immigration problem?

There are estimated that in the US there are some 11 miliion undocumented illegal aliens.The US is a country  that supports  the '' rule of law '',It is apparent that  our government is not enforcing the laws of the land when it comes to legal immigration.

2. kschang profile image88
    kschangposted 6 years ago

China *does* have an immigration problem, but it's INTERNAL to the country. China's "residency" system means you are supposed to stay at where you're born and only move upon approval. In practice, people go where the jobs are, leaving mostly the elderly and children in the outlying villages, while they head into the cities for jobs. In the recent years some of the middle-aged moved back to the villages, after finding themselves unable to compete with the youngsters for jobs in high-tech fields (such as the Foxconn factories in Shenzhen that makes your iPods and iPhones). If you can't prove residency, you won't get hospital care, school, or even right to have children.

So China *does* have an illegal immigration problem, but it's one that guailo (i.e. gaijin) do not see.

3. Lisa HW profile image73
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

Laws aside, I suspect people aren't clamoring to get into either of those countries (at least not in the numbers for illegal immigrants in the US), the way so many are to get into the US.   This isn't to say those countries are bad countries.  It's just that they're not particularly known for being "give me your tired, poor, and huddled masses" kind of countries.  hmm

4. Shushanik profile image91
    Shushanikposted 5 years ago

Actually Russia is the second country after USA for the number of undocumented illegal aliens. So it does have huge immigration problems. Russia has flood of illegal immigrants from former Soviet Central Asia (primarily Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan), and also from Azerbaijan, Armenia, Moldova, China, North Korea, and Vietnam.