Attack on remote Afghan outposts kills 8 US troops

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (33 posts)
  1. Army Infantry Mom profile image60
    Army Infantry Momposted 14 years ago

Attack on remote Afghan outposts kills 8 US troops - http://bit.ly/3iD702

Obama better get on his job, quit lally gagging around on late night talk shows and decide what hes going to do -

Either A - Give McCrystal EVERYTHING he asked for,..NOW !!!!
    or
    B - Get the F*ck Out Now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Somethings gotta give - Our kid's are dying over there !!!!!

1. Tackle This profile image62
      Tackle Thisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you and God bless you for the cahoonas to say what half of the men in America should be saying.

Sadly, and to my disappointment it seems Obama and the IAEA have something in common...giving the enemy weeks and possibly months to either create more havoc or hide something.

2. R.Edwards profile image62
      R.Edwardsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I usually try to stray away from topics dealing with Obama, but as a former soldier I have to object whole heartedly to this statement.

Contrary to everyone's belief, the president can't just wave a magic wand and bring all of us home. Believe me, when we were all sitting in the chow hall in Baghdad and heard that Sadaam was captured we thought it was definately over.

However Bush showed no intention to leave, nor did his counter parts. There are more factors to deal with when concerning the pull out of our troops as much as we would like to end this war it's just not that easy.

I don't get into politics but the principal of it all, running from a waged war is super bad...not good for homeland security at all. Think about it, as a country like Afghanastan or Iraq, or any extremist country seeing your enemy draw its' troops away is a sign of clear defeat. It's a chess game and innocent lives are involved.

It goes MUCH, MUCH, MUCH deeper than poor little Obama's hands can reach. I have deep feelings when dealing with this guy so I'll stop now, but just remember, the war didn't start with Obama....and it damn sure ain't ending with him either.

Many more lives will be losed and as a former soldier it was something I had to come to grips with and know that at any time that life could be mine.

"War is old men (regardless of race) talking and young men dying"....so true!

As long as there are controlling powers above the common citizen, we will forever be involved in conflict and war.

'Twas the same before you were born, and will be loooong after...sad truth!

1. dutchman1951 profile image60
        dutchman1951posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I hear you, but this "OLD MAN" walks with a limp from a Russian rifle, because I was not allowed to carry a weapon on base at PLEIKU because we were considerd not in a free fire zone! Even though we were in the heart of North Vietnamiese Regulars territory! Coming over the Border from Laos 

I know the political bull shit well! Those 8 were sent up into an un-defendable position, they were under staffed, put up one hell of a fight also, and thats what happend... they got jumped from the Mountain tops, an easy target, in an un-defendable position, all for Political Orders to show a wide US Front, like we are greater in number than we really are! Trying to show a front line that we do not have.

I am not stupid, I have been there. We can not afford crap like that to happen. Fight it like we know how to, not understaff it.

if we are in it, and we are, and in truth can never leave it! Then lets get in it all the dam way. This Poor Little Obama is sitting on the fence with no backbone, get in and get it done, or come up with something brilliant; he can not.

He does not have the experience to do it. We need to back the Military on the ground there and listen. Not play games for affect and cover.

I loaded to many 5th Americal Soldiers into bags, not to know the politics they play.

Jon

1. R.Edwards profile image62

I hear you honestly Jon....

same situation happened in Tikrit in '04. A convoy...a whoooooooole convoy of reserve troops whith soft back humvees enter a red zone because the government wanted to supply aid to a village smack in the middle of the action.

Soft back humvees....I'm sure you know what that's a recipe for! However what action was taken then? NONE! And that was while under the 'All mighty Bush,' pfft....as long as their are suits in office NO ONE will know how to fight a real war. I mean what? Did you think McCain would honestly do better? Or maybe Sarah Palin? Pick your poison with our American leaders Jon....

it's a wolf and fox political system. So often we get foxes into office...just a bunch of underlining secrets covered by false reasoning. Or do you want the wolf?

Innocent lives will be lossed because of a piece of man made paper that wants to remove 'In God we Trust' from it's face.

This war, like I said was in the making long before you and I Jon, or anyone in this thread...and will be long after we're gone.

As soon as we stop sheriffing the whole world and let man be...the sooner peace will come. 'Till then, another American flag will be folded in rememberance of another innocent young man's or woman's life!

No, I know Obama was the best man, he is not responsible for this except to be pinned to vote for the funding as support for the troops, I know that, I do. McCain would have destroyed us all, had a draft going, escalated it to almost world war probably. He is still hurting from the Hanoi Hilton I think!

I rail against Obamas' idealism, his concieved outlook, the fundamental constitutional changes, the dollar loosing ground. That stuff, not the Man himself. he is a good man, principles, he cares, I know it.

Palin, I dont know what the hell she sees in truth. I just know the America I thought we were going to get, the change, would be what we need, and I am loosing faith in all this fast.

its not the limp or the wound, its the length of this, and the resistance you got to keep to survive it mentaly, ya know.

I want, a world without color, I honestly do and I want freedom, real freedoms. I want to go to my grave 15 years from now or maybe 20 and feel like I counted, my vote did something, and I want them home! I want to jut pay my bills with piece of mind, and relax, not sweat a job loss, or a raise in taxes I can not pay.

I want a solution, I want to see that also. I honestly do. I want to see us working, dignity, humility and a dam smile on people that they mean. A workable world, I will work my way like everyone else, but we seem to be loosing that chance to do that.

And I hear you on the Home thing to, Your right about that, I see the Kids here, they walk the streets, nothing for them, a lot of suspicion against them, they are expected to fail, and they do it. Schools that can not even supply text books!

I work Police radio here, Nashville- 911 at night, take care of the servers, and it is no good. You hear it on the radios, see it in the Officers when they come in with in car computer troubles. No dam good at all, and the enviorment, the kids and the world they are getting to go out in to, who knows????

I honestly do hear you, I do. The Hum-v's the decisions, the look we portray, I know it well. I just rail against the injustice I see in all of that, and the America I though we would make here, I dont see a good vision of that now.  We are widening the race gap, not healing it, we are promoting class warfare, the divide between rich and poor, no jobs, no sucesses, just hand outs. We are pulling appart, not uniting in strength.

2. profile image0
        Deborah Sextonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

People think the president has all the power and forget there is congress....I like Obama. It will take him more time to clean up all the mess he inherited.

3. video lost profile image59
      video lostposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Choice B will be best of the best for Obama

4. thomasczech profile image43
      thomasczechposted 13 years agoin reply to this

they are dying because the US gov lead terror attack on afghanistan and iraq should never have happened

5. zduckman profile image61
      zduckmanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What is the official explanation of why we are in Afghanistan now?.Check the FBI web sight ...Osama Bin Laden is not even wanted for 911. There is no official evidence linking him to that horrible tragedy. We are in Afghanistan because their neighbor Turkmenistan has the 4th largest natural gas reserves in the world. Google the "TAPI" pipeline. This is all public information. It is unfortunate that most of the Sheeple are to lazy to do the most basic research into this to learn the facts and instead prefer to be spoonfed propaganda by our corporate controlled media.
      When will people wake up and smell the coffee?
      How bad does it have to get before we demand regime change here in the U.S.?

2. Thadrok profile image60
    Thadrokposted 14 years ago

He has to reconcile the conflicting viewpoints of some congressman and some in his administration before he makes a decision. I'm sure GEN McCrystal will get what he wants. President Obama has (rightly) supported the Afghanistan war very vigorously.

As a veteran myself, I have confidence he will do the right thing. I have friends and co-workers who have served and are serving in Afghanistan right now. (I went to Iraq.)

These things take time. It's unfortunate that our NATO allies haven't stepped up more. Their commitment over there is weak.

1. Army Infantry Mom profile image60
      Army Infantry Momposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well least McCrystal lit that fire under Obama's butt last sunday when he said in a interview Obama had only met with him 1 time since he took the position in May. Now since then Obama has met with him 2 times. I like McCrystal and I have confidence he knows what he is doing and he seems sincere.

I take your words to heart, for you have first hand experience, and I appreciate what you say and even more what you have done for our country.

2. Tackle This profile image62

Extended periods of time tend; generally speaking, do equate to unusually higher numbers of Americans deaths.

God bless you for having served but i have a riddle for the "left."

The U.N. = PaPer Watchdog, the IAEA = the Paper Watchdog's Paper Kitty, The AP = The Paper Kitty's News Source.

3. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

I have no confidence that Obama will give the General anything, he was asked more than a month ago for more troops and Obama waits. His adoption of Afghanistan as the real war was nothing more than a jab at Bush and McCain, he is a liberal who hates the Military and it shows.

4. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I believe Obama is working with the military to close down those posts in remote areas. You seem to think he has some sort of magic wand... Blindly giving into the military is something I'm sure you would not want in a leader...

Your allies are dying also, over 130 Canadians have died in Afghanistan.

1. myownworld profile image73
      myownworldposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And does anyone care about the hundreds of civilians deaths everyday esp children??....or because it's afghan blood, it just doesn't count....?

1. tantrum profile image60
        tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It counts more. And they didn't ask for the war. It's all about power and money. It's disgusting !!

2. Valerie F profile image61
        Valerie Fposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Does anyone care about the hundreds of thousands of civilians, Afghan and otherwise, that suffer when the Taliban is allowed to run amok?

My God, thank you...finally someone that is NOT about to cry on Oprah for human rights and then forget those that live under the constant threat of a steel hammer that wears pink ribbons in their hair cuz they'll hide behind women and children and even use places of "worship" to fight from.

3. Tackle This profile image62

We care more than you might think...If the thugs of the world truly had any testicles they wouldn't subject their families that they "love" to danger.  They wouldn't fight from "holy buildings."

2. profile image0
      A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sending troops that were asked for is not using a magic wand,

3. dutchman1951 profile image60

Uninvited, Its not about blinding following advice, either fight it like it is a real war, back up what is needed and finish it and get out, or get out now before more of our kids, Canadian, and American get killed.

He placed a hand picked commander in theater to lead.  He needs to listen to his hand pick Generals' assesments of the situation. He is and he is not, Obama can not make up his mind, and we do not need a leader like that. This is not the time to be eclectic and middle of the road. WE ARE IN IT UP TO OUR EARS!

They are dragging their feet trying to look politicaly correct. Like they evaluated all sides fairly? So what? Osama did not worry about political correctness when he hit the Twin Towers, why are we worried about it now? Our Kids do not need to be taking hits for the Gipper!

The fact is there is nothing correct about it! ITS WAR; Either fight it with full force and defend lives at all costs, or leave it.

I spent 13 months , 3 days, 2hrs and 15 mins in Viet Nam doing this same exact crap! It did not work then, It is not working now. Fight, un-tie the military hands and let them do what they know, or forget it and come Home.

I have to ask, is Obama running for President of the World, (future office) or is he going to be the US President? We need to know?

Jon

1. R.Edwards profile image62

You of all people should know Jon...same exact time I spent in Iraq. An additional 3 months in Afghanistan and other theatres of war.

It's politics, none of those people's kids are in the Cav or infantry.

And not worrying about factoring in political backlash would be falling into our own traps. The Geneva Code controls the official's actions, everyone knows that. We just can't go guerilla although it would seem appropriate when dealing with guerilla fighters. But in truth, this isn't a war that America can win...we can't even stop domestic terrorism in America (gang affiliated crimes, random violence, etc.)

It's all a form of terrorism and we're trying to look good in front of fellow allies and nations while doing it....it's not going to be an American victory, no matter who's in office...and you better believe that!

I can see that, I can,...I...Ok, I get real mad when I hear 8 dead, 3 dead, its hard to take. It makes me want to join in, go guerilla, go under cover- clear the s..t out, get rid of them for good. and I can not. We can not, but I still hate this feeling, I do. Its like living Viet Nam over again. I mean I know its different, but its not also. I hate this, I feel like I am loading those bags up again and again. I turn the TV off but I can still hear it. I hate it. I just want it over, thats all.

Jon

2. Tackle This profile image62

Mr. Jon, I think your last question speaks volumes sir

5. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

And all that I have heard, more troops would not have prevented this attack.

1. Pr0metheus profile image60
      Pr0metheusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Would you rather fight with ten buddies or two; having always, wondered if the next group of not-so-peaceful marauders was ready to split your rectum?

6. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

A big push is definitely needed and definitely stop *tangling* the troops in SOP. I hate that Canada wants to withdraw, nothing worse than no backbone. tongue sad

7. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

As long as good intent and discussion like this can take place across nations and belief systems there is hope. smile

I hope so Earnest, I do hope for that. I am strong on this country I know that, maybe to strong at times; but.. I am also a world travel person, honestly so and I know good people in many countries. We are similar in our wants and needs, very.

My wife Lanna is from Minsk Russia, she reminds me every day thats its about a world of people togeather.

If that even makes sense!

Jon

8. readytoescape profile image61
    readytoescapeposted 14 years ago

Obama needs so show some leadership and some backbone, get out of the way, and turn the Dogs of War loose to end this thing permanently and he needs to do it now.

When will these idiots in Government realize that War is to be fought by Warriors not lily livered civilians, there is no way to fight a liberal politically correct war. War is horrid, War is harsh and in War people die. The object is to make it the enemy.

Once a government chooses war as an option it is their responsibility to end it as quickly as possible, you do this by allocating every resource available to overwhelm and defeat the enemy, period.  We have a trained and highly educated and ethical military stop interfering with their prosecution of the war you all voted for

There should be no debate about any of this. Conflicts only end when the enemy is defeated. Loosing resolve only emboldens your enemy to continue the battle; even if you no longer have the stomach to fight and withdraw does the enemy stop? Especially this enemy, don’t be foolish.

There is a reason no one should named the Commander and Chief without the benefit of Military service in his background. 

You will call me a war monger, I don’t care. I’ve earned my stripes, I have two sons that have fought in both Iraq and Afghanistan, one has participated 4 combat tours, the other 3 tours. I am echoing their thoughts and those of there brethren.

My sons fight so their little brother won’t have too, all dedicated members of our Volunteer Military fight for the same reasons, so your children and grandchildren won’t have too.

There can be only on real end to the worldwide tragedy of terrorism, the complete destruction of the philosophy. We, and I mean the entire free world, need to make the thought of being a terrorist so abhorrent and incur such fear that these “tactics” will never be considered again.

At one time I believe Bush was making an inroad to establish muslum schools that did not teach terror, and was asking Goverments Like Syria and Lebanon and Turky, and the Curdish nations to do the same, It was actualy working for a short while, but I think they have abandoned the effort though. It  is going to have to be fought on many fronts.

Its going to take many countries banding togeather to go after it, to stop it. To many are sitting back and letting the US do it all.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)