jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (15 posts)

Why is Science right?

1. HLKeeley profile image83
    HLKeeleyposted 5 years ago

Why is Science right?

When talking to non-believers, why is science the biggest point for the disbelievers? HOW do you know science is even right?

Science and the Bible were both written by man. The difference is science came from man. The Bible are witness accounts of the unbelievable by multiple people.

Also, being a believer does not make me any less intelligent because I believe in bigger things. My mind is open.

2. Josak profile image61
    Josakposted 5 years ago

Science only makes assertions when it can prove them, I can explain even as a non scientist why most of the common scientific theories are correct and I can demonstrate them to you not just because other people said it was true but so you can see it with your own eyes. The bible is not the only holy book with millions of people claiming to witness religious events, indeed in Greek mythology the gods walked amongst people all the time, gave them gifts etc. and i am sure there were and are millions upon millions of people who have seen fairies, leprechauns, unicorns, ghosts etc. it does not make it true.
    Having said that it absolutely does not make you any less intelligent.

HLKeeleyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I feel patronized because I believe in God. I know He exists. I can't explain why were are here, but I feel that it is right. There are unexplained things every day. What if science is the proof that God exists?

2. Josak profile image61
      Josakposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Simply science is not the  proof of that at all. I don't know how you "know" that god exists (I suspect you believe) and there is nothing wrong with believing things but beliefs are not on par with facts.

3. HLKeeley profile image83

I know because I feel it. If that is not a good enough reason, than neither does love or happiness or any feeling.

But how do you know that science is not just a peek into how God made the world?

4. Josak profile image61

Love and happiness are felt sure but they are chemical equations at heart, we know what chemicals cause happiness (namely dopamine) and the combination of chemicals that cause love no such thing for god. Science is demonstrable fact, god is not.

5. HLKeeley profile image83

well arent you a romantic?  smile it is interesting to see this from your point of view and i understand what u are saying. But life is so much more than that.

6. Josak profile image61

I am actually tongue but I do like to understand things intellectually as well as emotionally,

7. HLKeeley profile image83

I understand. It just bothered me that science is "true" but God could not. I believe in evolution and dinosaurs and science, but I believe that we are still very naive about science.

8. JBrumett profile image59
      JBrumettposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Doesn't give me enough room to write two comments.  But second thing is endurance, unless you're built to take a beating from trying to get people to convert, after a few years you'll just burn yourself out.

3. JBrumett profile image59
    JBrumettposted 5 years ago

Eh, you shouldn't really feel patronized.  People like to argue, it's in their nature.  I'm sure the guy who proved 2+2 = 4 had people annoying him for a while.  The forums are a pretty good example.  People like to drone on about sticky subjects for months.  I guess former band member Duff McKagan of Gun's n Roses (bare with me) described it best.  After he left the band he decided to find his own path including becoming a business man.  If I remember, ten years after he left the band he was in the U.K. for a business conference and the manager at the hotel unwittingly put him in a room next to Axl Rose (leader of Gun's n Roses, who was there for a concert) under the impression he was still in the band and didn't realize that he'd left over a decade ago, gotten married, had kids, no longer had any contact with the band.  Long story short he could have avoided Axl but decided to go talk to him, and Axl invited him to the concert they were playing and Duff described it as a bit uncomfortable having him take sole credit for all the work THEY had done.  Then he said he sat there in the crowd and thought, you know what it doesn't matter, I'm a man, I'm content with my life and who cares what he does.

For Christians, it brings them joy to introduce someone to God, not for brownie points but because they care. There is a lot of outdated beliefs that some cannot connect too which is understandable.

2. JBrumett profile image59
      JBrumettposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Understandable, but two things about that.  First is what I mentioned above, because people inside and outside the Church are going to make you feel uncomfortable at some point in time.  It's just how life is, how you react is what defines a person.

4. d.william profile image75
    d.williamposted 5 years ago

Religious debates trouble and sadden me to the core.  One must realize what is real and what is fictional before any intelligent conversations take place.  Science facts are proven.  Religious beliefs are not. 
    No one is born with an innate belief in anything.  When religious beliefs bombard the young mind from the time of birth til death there is no option but to believe or risk the perils of hell.  This is called conditioning, brainwashing, indoctrination and worst of all child abuse at its deepest and deadliest levels - emotional trauma.
    We are born with innate needs for food, water, love (companionship), and  reproductive drives.  This kind of religious mind control takes the option of a child away from them and denies them the right to study, think for themselves, make logical decisions and conclusions and replaces those rights with guilt, fear and the old control factor: "you must do as i say, or pay the consequences". 
    These psychological implants are hard to deprogram, and are the base causes of multiple mental disorders when logic collides with superstition.
    There are not just 2 types of people (believers in God and the non believers in God); but the 3rd type is the most common:  those who do not believe in organized religions for the reasons i cited above, but believe in the concept of creators of the material world and humanity itself. 
    There is no shame in maintaining your religious beliefs, as long as those beliefs are not imposed on the rest of society, just as there is no shame in not believing in a God as religions depict him, her, or it. 
    There is no proof of an afterlife, heaven or hell, etc..., but is sure makes life more palatable to have this belief.  Otherwise, we would all have the attitude that what we do on this earth, the pain we inflict on others, the judgements we make on others, etc.... is acceptable behavior. 
    Although morality does not necessarily accompany religions, these attributes are lacking both in religious cults and outside them.

5. Kari Pete profile image59
    Kari Peteposted 5 years ago

I would argue that science isn't "right" per se.  Science is a process of coming to understand the world we live in.  Your belief in God is different.  It is personal and is the context in which you place your moral and ethical world view. 

I don't know if you are speaking specifically about evolution, but that is a good example.  The Christian Bible tells followers a specific story about the beginning of the world and of life on this planet.  But like any story, even those written by direct witnesses there may be mistakes or biases (remember it was also flawed men who decided what would be included in the Bible).  It may also just all be a story, created to tell a particular moral or ethical message.  We see this all the time in our lives.

In the study of evolution, people collect evidence and interpret the evidence in the most thorough way that they can.  That evidence has pointed us in a certain direction as to how life evolved on this planet.  Since these changes were often incremental, it is likely that none of it would have been recorded anywhere.  But, new evidence is always coming to light and challenging our ideas about how things evolved and where. 

Personally, I don't worry about the distinctions too much.  If there's one thing I believe, it is that what we call god is probably completely beyond our comprehension and can incorporate into itself even such seeming dichotomies.