jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

"Judging a book by it's cover" (Metaphorically)

1. JakeFrost profile image60
    JakeFrostposted 5 years ago

"Judging a book by it's cover" (Metaphorically)

The famous saying "Don't judge a book by it's cover" is taken into account a lot these days, but I'm sure everyone finds it hard to stick to. Apparently we all start making thoughts about a person within the first ten seconds of seeing them. Do you think this is completly wrong or just human nature? I think judging comes in handy sometimes, I wouldn't walk down a dark alley with a group of 'thug' looking youngsters down it. Even though they could actually be really nice people... What do you think? Is it okay to "judge a book by it's cover" or only in certain circumstances?

2. Rfordin profile image82
    Rfordinposted 5 years ago

I don't think it's ok to "judge a book by it's cover", however it's human nature regardless of what anyone says.

I think some of us work harder at it through our lives but I still think it's "built in" due to stigma assocaited with a certain group of people (like you example of "thugs" in an alley.). Who are we to say those "thugs" are not nice going chruch boys? In a politically correct society were not supposed to make those assumptions but we do. The media scares us, the journalists scare us heck the weather men scare us were programmed for survival of the fittest and in that "programming" we must take into account our safety and that of our loved ones. So yes alot of us take the long way around the alley to avoid the "thugs" or if your like me and just a pansy you take the long way to avoid the darkness of said alley.

Good question and in short Yes I think it's human nature that we "judge" people but I also think that as we encounter certain "groups" in our lives we learn that not all "thugs" are bad.

3. Cre8tor profile image97
    Cre8torposted 5 years ago

To pass judgement on someone(thing) by it's cover is not a good idea as far as I'm concerned however, creating an awareness or assessment of something by this method is a must. We have to form an opinion of not just people, but everything we see in order to be aware of dangers, possibilities and opportunities by carefully studying their "covers". Otherwise, we walk blindly.

4. Express10 profile image88
    Express10posted 5 years ago

I think it's human nature and also feel that it is important to judge a book by it's cover in a variety of circumstances. I often use the example of you walking to your home or car alone after dark whether you are male or female, young or old.

Let's say you visited a friend's house, were at a concert, or are leaving work. On the same path you are walking come several young men that look quite scary coming towards you.

Will you use your gut instincts and find a way to avoid them such as by going back to your friend's house, crossing the street, or going into an open business, or will you walk into a crowd of thugs or trouble makers?

Judging a book by it's cover is a very important and primitive skill that was given to us humans. Only some use it appropriately. Situations such as this are a great example of when to use it to your benefit and safety.

5. Lisa HW profile image73
    Lisa HWposted 5 years ago

I've been that book that's judged by the cover most of my life; so as far as I'm concerned, if I'm not sending out "cover vibes" that make you worry that I might be dangerous to you, it's a pretty lousy thing to be judged by "cover" (and it's an even lousier thing to be the person who does the judging).

As with most thing in life, there's a common-sense factor involved.  It's not an either/or thing.  Police will often tell people that if they think there's something "not right" about someone or a situation, they should err on the side of caution and go with their instincts.  So there's that kind of "judging" and that purpose for it.

Other than that, though, people ought to be smart enough to overcome any instinct/urge to form opinions about "books":

6. whonunuwho profile image78
    whonunuwhoposted 5 years ago

This is metaphorical and meant to say that what is beneath a face, or that having an outward appearance may be totally different and quite possibly more positive in nature, than what is seen on the surface. It is entirely easy to form judgments when a person or thing is viewed at first, yet experiences have taught us all, that it is best to wait in our own assessments,before making a final decision as to the validity of a thing. When it comes to survival or self-preservation, of course the most appropriate decision is the immediate one in most cases.

working