jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Are you driving with the windows open and the AC off in order to save gasoline?

1. cam8510 profile image94
    cam8510posted 5 years ago

Are you driving with the windows open and the AC off in order to save gasoline?

I was at a stoplight today and noticed lots of windows down, apparently AC off,  in spite of the very warm temperature.  Then I noticed my own windows were down and of course AC having a much needed rest.  The only explanation I had was that I was saving on the fuel bill.  What other things are you doing to use less petrol?

2. xanzacow profile image71
    xanzacowposted 5 years ago

Actually I use the ac and have my windows down. Not very conservative I guess. I guess I need to check myself.......

cam8510posted 5 years agoin reply to this

haha I think you may just be a rebel at heart.

3. bankscottage profile image95
    bankscottageposted 5 years ago

I think they proved that wrong.  Keeping the A/C off seems like it would save gas, but driving with the windows down (at least on the highway) is not as aerodynamic and decreases gas mileage as compared to driving with the windows up.  I guess you could drive with the windows up and the A/C off to really save gas, but on a hot day, you would probably chose not to get in the car.  I guess that would be the ultimate gas saver.

I have heard the same and it sounds reasonable to me.  When I think of gasoline prices causing people to drive less, I can't help but think that someone is trying to control our driving practices.  That makes me  a little uncomfortable.

4. internpete profile image90
    internpeteposted 5 years ago

If I am driving on the highway at 60-70mph I'll put the windows up and the AC on. If it is a short trip in town, I might try to leave the windows down as long as its not too warm out.

Another gas saving thing I try to do is accelerate slowly. accelerating uses a lot of gas, so instead of stepping on the gas, I try to ease on it.

I find if I am in a relaxes mode I naturally drive more cautiously and thus save gas. So if I am stressed, I try to refocus while I am driving and it usually helps me not stomp on the gas and brake.

great ideas, internpete.  It sounds like self control and discipline play a part.  Why do those two things keep popping up?  They can be so annoying.

5. KK Trainor profile image59
    KK Trainorposted 5 years ago

It's way too hot here for that, not because of global warming but because it's the South and it's always been hot. I have been riding my bike (motorcycle) more though. Can't beat 60 mpg! (I wouldn't be caught dead in an electric car)

Closed to reply

working