Is it interesting that both Romney and Obama agreed rules are needed, then ignor

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (24 posts)
  1. Perspycacious profile image63
    Perspycaciousposted 11 years ago

Is it interesting that both Romney and Obama agreed rules are needed, then ignored the debate rules?

I felt there was intent in Obama taking more than two minutes to make up for losing "five seconds" and that a comparison of the actual time each candidate was allowed to talk would not show the time was evenly distributed.  It was also interesting to me to notice that Romney spent the time, when Obama was talking, either looking at Obama or referring to his notes and making notes; while Obama looked less often at Romney and, when he wasn't looking at his own notes or making notes, he looked at the moderator.  Perhaps a body language expert among us could comment on any significance to that.

2. profile image0
    thegeckoposted 11 years ago

Kind of the opposite of when President Obama ran against Senator McCain. I feel as though our president was a bit off his game tonight.

1. profile image0
      thegeckoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Here's a thought... after their time is up, cut off their mics. It's not like they don't know when the clock is winding down o.O

3. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

Painful to watch. Painful to listen to.
    Very interesting to see the green and yellow lines for men and women undecided voters reacting to each candidate's comments.
    I want to smack Obama. He missed so many opportunities to rebut.
    Romney was beyond prepared. He was out for blood.

Perspycaciousposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The difference in time was Obama +5 minutes of actual debate time.  That is nearly 10% more, if Lehrer's portion of the 90 minutes counts.

4. rafken profile image78
    rafkenposted 11 years ago

As is often the case, many men of power believe that rules are absolutely necessary   but not always applicable to them. After all, what is the point of having power, if you have to be governed by rules and how can you be expected to remain powerful, if the masses are not restricted by rules. Power could be defined as the ability to make rules that OTHERS must live by.

1. Diana Grant profile image90
      Diana Grantposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That sounds about right.

My father always said "rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools."  And that's what he taught me. Isn't it also called "thinking outside the box"?

2. swordsbane profile image59
      swordsbaneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

How can anyone be expected to follow laws when those who created them are exempt?  It's not 'thinking outside the box' and it's not right.  Laws that congress enacts frequently have language in them that exempts congress from those same laws. BAD.

5. lone77star profile image74
    lone77starposted 11 years ago

Living overseas, I'm lucky I don't have access to watching that junk.

I get enough clips and snippets of American news on YouTube and don't miss the slide toward oblivion.

Just look at these 2 videos on the Republicrat and Demopublican conventions and how they've stopped using the rule of voting and Roberts Rules of Order. All a sham!

RNC Scripted:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKaXqoC4DjE

DNC Scripted:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmaE2Aez_XY

As far as the Corporate Party, which runs both Reps and Dems, it doesn't make any difference who wins the election, just so long as it's one of their two guys.

A 3rd party win would really throw a monkey wrench into their plans to dismantle America -- a plan which is, so far, running along very smoothly. Hitler would be envious.

Just look at HR 347 -- making it a felony to protest. America is effectively dead. It would take a miracle to revive our beloved land. Too many of its citizens are brain dead and brainwashed by the Corporate Party media propaganda.

1. ithabise profile image73
      ithabiseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ouch! Why so negative? "That junk" may have its frustrations, but it is every American's opportunity to make him- or herself informed about who they're putting into office. As bad as it gets, I can't afford to be jaded about it. Too much at stake.

6. profile image0
    huckelburyposted 11 years ago

It was business as usual, which means that a stronger moderator is needed for these performances. Jim Leherer is capable, but he didn't maintain control to ensure the debate followed the agreed format. The "debates" are nothing more than theater, each side telling a different story. After all, the electorate doesn't vote for policy issues only personalities. Again, business as usual.

7. swordsbane profile image59
    swordsbaneposted 11 years ago

Not really interesting as it is entirely expected.  For the same reasons that they tell us they'll do all these wonderful things when they get in office then not do it... all they wanted is to get votes.  They'll have no end of excuses for WHY they didn't obey the rules.... most of them having to do with their opponent somehow validating it.

Why people continue to vote for these two parties is a mystery that is beyond confounding.

8. Rock_nj profile image90
    Rock_njposted 11 years ago

I thought one of the rules was to keep Big Bird out of the debate.  ;-)  I wasn't able to watch all of the debate, but the parts I saw seemed pretty even to me.  I think Obama must have taken a laid back approach on purpose to not seem overly agressive, and perhaps this approach backfired, but he did get his points across and so did Romney.  The debate served its purpose of letting the American people see the candidates in a different light without the media/campaign lenses.

Having just one moderator took some of the spontaneity out of the debate.  It's better when you have three moderators for different backgrounds throwing curve balls at the canidates.

9. My Esoteric profile image87
    My Esotericposted 11 years ago

Astute observation :-)

I listened to almost all of the debate with my eyes closed so I could focus on what was said.  It wasn't until listening to the CNN commentary afterward did I become aware of the body language you mention.  I thought the following:
    1. In content, it was a draw
    2. In truthfulness, it went to Obama
    3. In style, it went to Romney - hands down
    4. In sticking, on message, I think it went slightly more to Obama because it seemed he got Romney to weaken or change is stand on tax cuts and Medicare
    5. In curtousy to the moderator, Obama; Romney seemed like a rude bully to me (other than Obama's "5-second" diatribe)
    6. In preparedness, Romney

It seems like the national impression, according to CNN, is that Romney won this thing going away, accept in the 39 person focus group where it was a draw; 8 people deciding to vote for Romney and 8 people deciding to vote for Obama; the rest remained undecided.

I was happy to see neither went for the jugular, which the CNN commentators seem to constitute debating, and did mainly stick to this issues, so, in my opinion, if anything won, the debate itself won.

1. Rock_nj profile image90
      Rock_njposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for that interesting debate analysis.  Interesting that you listened to the debate instead of watching it. The first Nixon/Kennedy debate had dramatically different opinions regarding who won based on if it was viewed or listened to.

2. ithabise profile image73
      ithabiseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Excellent analysis and I think you're right. I too felt Obama was more truthful.

3. Perspycacious profile image63

I seem to recall other debates having a bell which went off when given times had expired.  It could have helped in the first 2012 debate.

4. My Esoteric profile image87
      My Esotericposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That would be a good idea; a loud, persistant bell, lol.

10. alifeofdesign profile image90
    alifeofdesignposted 11 years ago

I chuckled when I logged onto Hubpages and noticed your question. I was thinking the same thing last night.

I recall in years passed the camera would pan over to the light behind the moderator that indicates to the two candidates they their time is up. I would have liked to seen that this year.

I'm not sure if the overall time for equal between the two men, but I find the discussions that take place after such debates often more interesting than the debates themselves.

11. lburmaster profile image73
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

It is highly entertaining and brought a few laughs from me. However, why did Obama need to take so many notes? He could always film the debate and watch it later making notes at home, which means he does not consider Romney a threat and chose to ignore him. They both just took up time and barely reached major issues.

I will guarantee he considered him a threat the day after the first debate!

12. MizBejabbers profile image88
    MizBejabbersposted 11 years ago

Yes, that is interesting, especially since neither had anything of any new substance to say. If there had been some real rebuttal on either side, I can see their going overtime, or at least attempting to go overtime. I am disappointed in both of them, especially Obama because he missed so many chances for a real defense of his policies. BORING!!! Too bad he can't hire Bill Clinton to stand in for him on the debates. This political correctness is getting out of control!

1. My Esoteric profile image87
      My Esotericposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What a great idea, having Bill Clinton Stand in.

13. violetheaven profile image62
    violetheavenposted 11 years ago

Oh my...... I laughed so hard when I read this!  It is so accurate.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)