The contempt and scorn candidate...

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (28 posts)
  1. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

I do not feel anger, contempt or scorn. I do feel pride, but not what I believe this article is talking about (e.g., egotistical, self pride).
    If that is what you value, your choice for president is clear.
    Vote for Mitt Romney in November.

"Romney, the widely acknowledged winner of the first debate, mostly registered negative emotions, Kowal said. But that's not necessarily a bad thing.

"What Romney was able to do was really show anger, contempt, scorn and pride. Those are the emotions that his voters in his base feel," said Kowal, an assistant professor at Purdue University who has studied both Obama's and Romney's facial expressions since 2007.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/bod … d=17396577

1. JayeWisdom profile image89
      JayeWisdomposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Romney's already made it perfectly clear that he feels "contempt" and "scorn" for much of the U.S. populace--at least 47% that he feels are "not his problem."  If there are voters among that 47% (or even within the 99% of the populace who are not ultra-wealthy) who want to vote for an egomaniac who feels contempt and scorn for them because they aren't at his level of wealth and society...what does that tell you about those voters?

2. Jean Bakula profile image92
      Jean Bakulaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, it's not surprising many R's feel anger, contempt and scorn towards other people. Oh, I mean towards people who are not rich. Remember in the earlier debates, when the audience was clapping to hear about uninsured people who die? When even Ron Paul looked sad and said, "Well, sometimes sick people DO die." He said it with genuine regret though.

Although Obama was definitely off his game the other night, I hope he can rebound. I thought Romney looked snide the whole time, and was very disrepectful to both the moderator and the President. Maybe Obama just didn't want to get down to Romney's level, though he didn't appear to be feeling well to me. I couldn't believe my ears as Romney lied his way throught that speech. I've heard a few body language experts too, and however one wishes to interpret Romney, nothing in his body language reflected concern, intelligence, or empathy. His performance was mostly a show of bullying, maybe a speech a coach might give before a big game. This is not a game. Our country and lives are at stake, and our do-nothing Congress and Romney can afford the best of everything.

To read a very interesting take on Romney's debate tricks, go to this link:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/
        Type in:  Janet Ritz   in the search box.
        "Janet Ritz:  Romney's Debate Technique will come up. This is an intriguing and very informative article.  (I hope someone shows it to the Prez.)

3. Wayne Brown profile image80
      Wayne Brownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So lost in the weeds....and totally without a clue!

1. Jean Bakula profile image92

I freely admit Obama lost the debate, and I have heard stories that he was sick. But I also know he is a disciplined man, and if it was any of us who posted on this thread and we had to get up there and make the speech of our lives, we would have done it! I do think Romney was snide the whole time, and Obama rarely looked him in the eye or engaged Romney. It was odd. I don't want a man who thinks so little of so many of our citizens to be President, and I thought his behavior the whole time was rude to the POTUS. When the moderator said they had 2 minutes, I was also shocked Obama took most of it to wish Michelle a Happy Anniversary. They had all day to do that, and time was a 'wasting. Maybe it was some kind of comment he felt compelled to give in public, since we D's usually get dissed about our "family values." I've been married to the same person for 33 years, and we've never cheated, and have been through the hard times all married coupled experience. I dislike these debate formats, they never stay in the alloted time frames, and we usually don't get much from them. Obama didn't do all he promised. But he did well with what he was left to work with, and I believe he deserves more time. Romney has openly called 47 percent of Americans "moochers," and still thinks parents can send their kids to college and then lend them money to begin a business. We and most of our friends are wiped out from the college bills. Our son has a teaching degree and is lucky he's the permanent substitute in a nearby town. It's F/T, but not with benefits. But at least it's a foot in the door of the career he wants. Most of his friends aren't even working in the fields they studied But we couldn't afford anything in the college years, but we didn't take loans either, we paid.

Jean....Please read Janet Ritz's column on The Huffington Post, "Janet Ritz: Romney's Debate Technique."  It will explain A LOT.

Jaye

1. Jean Bakula profile image92

I will read it Jaye. I will be voting for Obama, and will check out what you recommend. Romney was aggressive, but he changes with the wind, so it really doesn't matter what he says!

2. American View profile image60
    American Viewposted 11 years ago

The spin on this debate is just amazing. Hey Democrats, admit it, Romney gets the edge for the first debate. Stop making excuses and looking for false bravado. Picik yourself up and fight. Stop making excuses, because if that is the best you can do, you do not deserve to be President.

1. profile image0
      Onusonusposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You'd better watch it dude! Obama was at a clear disadvantage because of the change of altitude he experienced. Plus I heard he puked all over his teleprompter right after he got off the plane.

2. JayeWisdom profile image89

Maybe you should read Janet Ritz's column too.

3. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

I disliked the entire tone of the debate.  Romney appeared like a bull in a bullfight.  We don't need a domineering, patriarchal control freak running the country.  His smirk is meant to be offensive.  A smirk.  Please, you're debating the President and 'addressing' the citizens of the US with a smirk! I've never liked him at all.  I honestly don't see the appeal, or why women especially respect this man.  His physical demeanor and posture reminded me of a predator. 
    @American View, in my opinion and in that of most people I know, he did not 'win' the debate.  He made it clear that he cannot be trusted or respected for the office of the presidency.

1. profile image0
      Onusonusposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You are right, Romney's smirk is inexcusable and insulting to the American public!

http://www.familysecuritymatters.org/imgLib/20080801_obama_looking_up.jpg

http://scm-l3.technorati.com/11/09/09/50883/Obama-Looking-Up.jpg?t=20110909100802

http://www.fireandreamitchell.com/wp-content/gallery/obama-satire/barack-obama-arrogance.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_mbWThvBk2kA/THvWJ80LLSI/AAAAAAAAPVQ/R7yDI1eYsDM/s320/Obama-02.jpg

4. JayeWisdom profile image89
    JayeWisdomposted 11 years ago

Hear! Hear!  That's an excellent description of Mitt Romney, rebekahELLE. I certainly do not trust or respect him or his running mate.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image64
      Ralph Deedsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Romney characteristics--high opinion of himself, huge sense of entitlement, absence of empathy for others less fortunate than himself except for fellow Mormons, narcissistic, materialistic--4 McMansions and two Cadillacs among his fleet of cars, little concern for truthfulness in his campaign statements. Add: "shameless, lying chamelion," courtesy of the mayor of Philadelphia, just not.

5. maxoxam41 profile image64
    maxoxam41posted 11 years ago

I am wondering how people confidently say that Obama's lost! Based upon which criteria? How many of us know about economics, finance... and therefore are good judges. The media says one thing and everybody's jumps in the bandwaggon! People are really sheep.

1. Mighty Mom profile image78
      Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Romney won the debate on style, not substance.  He came in uber prepared, he stayed on script, he was animated and not robotic. (Actually, he seemed cranked up. Reminded me of Howard Dean.)
      So what if almost everything he said was not true?
      He looked good saying it.
      So what if he was rude and disrespectful of the moderator as well as his opponent?
      He put on quite a show!
      And he got a bump in the polls.
      However -- and this is as weird as any other part of the debate -- despite that, the latest poll numbers I read today still show that the public doesn't like him and doesn't really trust him.
      Go figure.

http://news.yahoo.com/romney-gains-grou … iness.html

It's not difficult for me to figure.  He is untrustworthy, and anyone who thinks for himself/herself will realize that, regardless of polls.

Once more, I want to encourage everyone on this forum to read Janet Ritz's column that explains Romney's Debate Technique in the Huffington Post.  Reading this will help you understand what happened in the debate, whether President Obama was feeling unwell or not.

2. Repairguy47 profile image60
        Repairguy47posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Poor ol bammy was suffering from altitude sickness, totally not his fault he was lost. You know, how everything isn't his fault?

1. Reality Bytes profile image75
          Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There has to be some kind of way:

http://thepatriotperspective.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/bush_fault1.gif

1. Ralph Deeds profile image64
            Ralph Deedsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Very true. Bush cratered the economy and the Tea Tards sabotaged the recovery.

1. Repairguy47 profile image60
              Repairguy47posted 11 years agoin reply to this
            2. profile image0
              JaxsonRaineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

And it had nothing to do with any prior Democrat policies...

...or the Democratic congress...

...or anyone who voted for the wars...

...or anyone else who made a budget/voted on a budget...

...or anyone else who voted for anything that had negative consequences at all...

Yeah, all Bush's fault. Bush's fault that D's voted for a war that they later were against. Bush's fault that D's voted for spending that is now sometimes used as a bad thing, and othertimes used as an example of Obama's leadership. Bush's fault for saving the auto industry(whoops, that's awkward).

6. movingout profile image60
    movingoutposted 11 years ago

Mighty Mom, perhaps he took acting lessons instead of debate lessons! lol he did show good, but said absolutely nothing. And what he did say was a complete opposite of his last 8 months stance! This guy is all over the table. Kind of like a bumper car! Out of control! lol

7. profile image0
    LikaMarieposted 11 years ago

Well, I am a college educated woman, divorced, remarried with a child that is going to virtual school.  yes, I made the decision, and someone needs to be able to tend to school needs, and my husband, a computer guy, is doing it because he is currently unemployed.

Because I have health issues, I only work part time.  We live on little, as between child support and what I make, our family income for 3 is still considered poverty if I earned the same as a single person.

I know for a fact that my situation is one of those situations that Romney scorns at, and has contempt for the fact that my family needs medicaid and food stamps.  No matter, we don't have debt, and we are honest.

1. profile image0
      writeronlineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"we don't have debt, and we are honest'. Take a bow, LikaMarie. Were you cut of the superior Romney cloth, those attributes would entitle you to pour scorn and contempt back on the candidate - to whom clearly neither quality applies.

From outside the US, every time I see or listen to the guy, and imagine him as your President, (scornfully and contemptibly) donating the lives of more young Americans, likely drawn from the ranks and families of you lower folks he so despises, to the cause of American imperialism, when your country so desperately needs someone to take care of its own people and domestic affairs, ( and not just the rich, ffs) an image comes to mind of of John McEnroe throwing his raquet on the ground and screaming "You cannot be serious!"

Romney's an archetypal glad-handing car salesman, insurance agent, realtor, 'financial advisor', political operator who understands that once you can fake sincerity, the world (of the gullible) is your oyster. God help the world if the gullible outnumber the sensible come Election Day.

There are far too many gullible "followers" in this country, writeronline, who ingest the GOP propaganda as fast as it pours from the machine.  That is scary!  Many of these people don't even realize they are harming their own interests if they vote for this man who plays to their biases for purposes of his and his party's own.

8. movingout profile image60
    movingoutposted 11 years ago

Romney changes his stance more then I change my socks! lol I can't figure this guy out? One day he's for this and the next for that? Refused to answer the voucher question? Only thing I know for sure is Romney killed Big Bird and President Obama killed Bin Laden.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)