jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)

What is the best way to reduce crime against women?

1. Gaurav Oberoi profile image80
    Gaurav Oberoiposted 2 years ago

What is the best way to reduce crime against women?

2. Dakk profile image85
    Dakkposted 2 years ago

While more direct policies such as greater punishments and awareness campaigns can surely affect the issue in a positive way, these are but short term measures against a problem that has persisted in our society for thousands of years.

The only true long term answer to these problems is education. I know this is far from a proper answer to this problem, but the only way to truly combat crime at its root is through education. Of course, there are times in which education will have very little effect on the issue (in the case of individuals under the influence of drugs or mentally diseased/impaired), and this is where prevention must come in. Just as all people must become more educated and aware in regards to this issue, must all women become more aware of these problems, so that they may be more able to avoid risky situations, conditions and environments. Modern criminology has shown us that victims, more often than not, also play a part in their victimization.

A good example of this is teaching all people how to recognize and avoid abusive relationships, but again, this is only one facet of a much larger problem.

Gaurav Oberoiposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I really like your approach.

3. kaiyan717 profile image79
    kaiyan717posted 2 years ago

Statistically, teach the woman to fight back. Changing yourself (as a woman) is the best way, instead of taking on a society as a whole. While most get funny about blaming the woman, there are signs and risky situations that can be avoided. Pepper spray for all the rest.

Correct. What I like the most about your comment is this part, 'there are signs and risky situations that can be avoided.'

4. Brynn Thorssen profile image90
    Brynn Thorssenposted 2 years ago

First: Kill poverty.  Most women in abusive relationships are in them because of financial reasons.

Second: Identify those men who are prone to committing sex offenses and enact a two-fold program of therapy and monitoring.  And do it early, when there are clues but they have not yet acted on their impulses.  It would still be cheaper than incarceration and  may even save a few victims BEFORE they are victimized. 

Third: I have seen men become obsessed with one woman, to the point that all logic goes out the door.  To them, it doesn't even matter if the love is requited.  We need to stop romanticizing these obsessive behaviors.  But how can we combat biology? Men who seem completely normal lose their minds over some women, it is in their nature.  As a society, we encourage that behavior and call it romantic.  It isn't romantic and should be stopped.

This issue will never go away entirely.

Very right. Especially about running a two-fold program.

5. unvrso profile image89
    unvrsoposted 2 years ago

Support your woman and keep her inside the house. This will prevent too much crime against them.

6. connorj profile image77
    connorjposted 2 years ago

Ensure that they are properly trained to defend their self (self-defense). Allow them to qualify to carry, perhaps some type of revolver if they become properly trained and certified. I hate to admit it; however, now that I am 11 for the 5th time and my eyesight has become less than optimum, my Better Half is a better shot with her glock... My brats are working on qualifying...

That's right.

7. LaughingRain profile image81
    LaughingRainposted 2 years ago

I agree with Kaiyan to teach the woman self defense as talking yourself out of a bad situation is somewhat rare when faced with a potential rape or murder situation. Most women it seems would never think of carrying a gun even though they are being stalked and they think that a court order will keep the stalker away, but this will fail often enough. a bullet is quicker than the cops to respond if you want to save your life. A woman wants to believe this cannot happen to her. she brings forth life, she does not want to take life. So prevention and self defense should be encouraged even for children at risk of pedophiles. The problem stems from the culture, whereby ancient cultures would conquer a region and their reward consisted of raping the women as what they supposed was their just due. Part of this mindset is still around in today's culture and in the mind of the psychopath, he feels to injure is justified and to injure the weaker among us, which means women and children. One way to lesson crime of this sort is to keep them in jail for longer terms as the way the court system is now, criminals get out and repeat the crime before it is understood they may not be able to change their behavior, but they may in fact be able to lie very well about their change in heart.

Teaching women self-defence is absolutely necessary & I believe that it should be a part of the curriculum itself. In today's twisted world however many cases have come forth, where women are too involved in such crimes. How can we deal with that

2. LaughingRain profile image81
      LaughingRainposted 2 years agoin reply to this

8% total population are psychopathic. 6% are men. 2% are women. abusive people may have chemical brain imbalance. education is the only approach to lessen crime.