jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)

What do A/As* say or ask that cause people to think that they are "mocking god"?

1. Austinstar profile image87
    Austinstarposted 2 years ago

What do A/As* say or ask that cause people to think that they are "mocking god"?

*A/As = Atheists/Agnostics - God = ANY god (Christian/Muslim/Hindu, etc.) This is for a hub. Only free thought answers will be considered, but there will be a prize for the best answer! No copy/pasting, No hate speech, Must adhere to the TOU of HP. Do you think it's OK to question the logic and dogma of any religion?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12962805_f260.jpg

2. jonnycomelately profile image84
    jonnycomelatelyposted 2 years ago

Thanks for this question.

On gut-feelings, without much thought about it, I suggest there is a broad spectrum of opinion here.

Some, (like myself) will say immediately, "For Sure!  Why not?"  This might be us at, say, left hand end of the spectrum.

Others, who have a deep yearning for absolute assurance and complete comfort in belief, will be at the far right hand end of the spectrum and say, "No!  My life and my feelings of safety and certainty require me to just accept what is taught.  I don't want to not believe."

Between those two ends of the spectrum, there are an infinite number of us with varying degrees of need.  Our mental activities are what primarily make us human and somewhat different from other species.  Hence, we seem to be the only species with even the slightest perception of spirituality.

I hope this helps your question.  Looking forward to the ideas of others.

Austinstarposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Yes, there is a chasm of deep opinions regarding religion. But to brand A/As as "evil" or as "mocking their beliefs" is wrong. We simply question the validity of a god or gods. Have you heard of "Ignostics"? Interesting theory by Titen Sxull.

3. profile image0
    LoliHeyposted 2 years ago

It is okay to question.  Even I do now and then.  I, too, have had many of the same questions atheists have had, and I sought out answers for them from other Christians and literature, and then I got my answers.

Yes, it is OK to question religion. It is the only way to discover the validity and authority of a god or gods. It should never be considered to be "mocking". It is simply searching for answers.

4. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12232751_f260.jpg

To many religionists, atheists & agnostics are viewed as somehow a threat to the religious paradigm.  While many religionists accept what their particular religion states as a preordained truth, atheists & agnostics question such religious paradigms.  The latter maintain that religions are man-made constructs which are aligned to the particular civilization, culture, & society.  Atheists & agnostics know that religions aren't permanent mandates etched in stone but ever-changing concepts based upon the particular era & the authority who is in power. 

Atheists & agnostics furthermore realize that religions aren't pure in scope & origin but consistently borrow from other religions & cultures all the time.  Even though religionists subconsciously know it, they refuse to acknowledge this as such will upset/disrupt their religious paradigm.  Atheists & agnostics aren't afraid to go against the religious grain, they refuse to accept things because it is the majority societal consensus as to what morality should be.  They know that the concept of a religion/a god has been invented/reinvented by men since time immemorial.  They are of the belief that it is humans who invented God, not God who invented humans.  This idea is quite unnerving to many religionists who believe that God is a sacrosanct subject which shouldn't never be questioned nor even ascribe human characteristics; however, religionists regularly human characteristics to God all the time.   

Atheists & agnostics view God as an invention which is quite an affront to religionists.  To such religionists, God is well God & should be treated sacredly.   To the latter, God is what humans aren't & won't ever be on this earth plane.   Atheists & agnostics strongly maintain that they are gods & masters of their own destiny.  They further assert that humankind has the power if only they realize & use it instead of displacing such power unto God to make themselves & the world a much better place.  Yes, to atheists & agnostics, HUMANS are GODS & this is quite discombobulating to the average religionist who believe that h/she is SUBPAR to God.

If A/As are a threat, then they already have doubts. I am wondering why religionists cannot give up their doubts and start to find true answers. You have given me some things to think about here. Thank you.

2. gmwilliams profile image86
      gmwilliamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Many religionists aren't TRUE, their "faith/beliefs" have been based upon tradition, what their families believe/think, & fear of an afterlife.  If they DARED to question, many WOULD LEAVE as there is no logic in religion!

5. Say Yes To Life profile image80
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 2 years ago

Christians, particularly, are strictly indoctrinated to not question their beliefs. Some go so far as to be convinced if a doubt enters their mind and they drop dead right then, they could go to hell. As a result, they tend to feel threatened around anyone who questions the existence of God, or even their particular denomination / mode of worship. It's as if hellfire will "rub off" on them.

I fear you are correct. In my opinion, we must get rid of the fear in order to change the world. I wish some religions would dismiss preaching about hell and evil and sin. Rather they should focus on life and being good people.

2. Say Yes To Life profile image80
      Say Yes To Lifeposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Buddhism and Baha'i faith do that.

Closed to reply

working