jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Are Stock Markets Selling Off Because Rasmussen National Poll Shows Donald Trump

1. Rock_nj profile image94
    Rock_njposted 21 months ago

Are Stock Markets Selling Off Because Rasmussen National Poll Shows Donald Trump Leading?

Just wondering what people's opinions are out there, with the talk of trade wars and other policies that might depart from long-standing economic policies.

2. lions44 profile image98
    lions44posted 21 months ago

Typical Wall Street, overreacting to the slightest twitch.

But I don't think any of that will come to pass.  Once in office, I can't see Trump upsetting the apple cart that much in terms of trade.  Plus, the idea that he is not well-connected to guys on Wall Street is ridiculous. Obviously, I'm not a Trump fan (nor of HRC), but I don't fear him either.  The office takes over the man/woman doing the job most of the time. Crises, foreign and domestic, tend to make a President delay (or in some cases move away from) their intended policies.

As for the Rasmussen poll, I don't put much stock in Rasmussen period.  He is probably the worst pollster in America.  Didn't he have Romney up 3 points election day? His methods always draw scrutiny.  The fact that other mainstream pubs and media outlets have Trump leading impresses me more.

Rock_njposted 21 months agoin reply to this

I know Trump will likely not follow through on some things, but he seems hell bent on redoing trade agreements.  Not a bad thing on the face of it, but going to cause turmoil for sure.  I agree about Rasmussen.  Their polling is suspect?  Biased?

3. tamarawilhite profile image92
    tamarawilhiteposted 21 months ago

I think it is the economic data that matters more.
    The problem is compounded by negative economic news world wide, with many nations reporting economic slumps and instituting negative interest rates. That is official admission of deflation and an attempt to spur people into spending to try to stave it off. And deflation means weakening demand, downward economic trend.
    Business Insider did a report that the actual inflation rate of what people spend most money on (rent/mortgage, food, medical care, education) is 3% a year instead of the fed's 2% a year. If actual inflation is one point higher while wages are flat, you lose 1% spending power each year - an economic squeeze box. So we're in deflation, too, it has just been hidden for the past eight years by lots of bailouts and government borrowing to prop up spending to try to prevent deflation. They stopped printing money, now the deflation is clearly evident in the US.
    Official wages are 10% lower than they were 20 years ago due to outsourcing of jobs and competition with legal and illegal immigration. And Obama is still letting Syrian immigrants who will rely on welfare the way Somalis from the 1990s still do, and they are still giving immigration waivers to "unaccompanied minors" from central America showing up - raising competition for jobs while draining welfare coffers.

When the bad economic and political policies are failing but being kept up by the regime, and it is so bad the official data can't hide it anymore, of course the markets will go down.

Rock_njposted 21 months agoin reply to this

40% of inflation is housing, which has been lagging in price, but is finally going up.  That said, I have a hard time believing the inflation rate. Those 99 cent cards are now $1.29, as is 99 cent tuna pouches.  30% jump in two things I buy.

working