jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

When in power, why is that party their own worst enemy?

1. Kathleen Cochran profile image81
    Kathleen Cochranposted 12 months ago

When in power, why is that party their own worst enemy?

Congressional Republicans on Monday panned Donald Trump’s call to finance a military buildup by slashing domestic agencies and ignoring entitlement programs — undermining the president’s budget even before it’s been finalized. - Politico  Democrats did the same thing to President Obama.  Is it simply their role as checks and balances?

2. bradmasterOCcal profile image28
    bradmasterOCcalposted 12 months ago

The root cause of problems caused by the party go directly to the loyal party voters that let the party put themselves above the country and the people. It is not an intelligent action to vote Row A or Row B. Politics should be treated like a religion where we have faith, reserve that for a God, not politicians.

Both parties are diametrically opposed as to the direction for the country, and this has resulted in a major divide, and congressional gridlock, along with the reversal of whatever the party last controlled by the new party that is in control.

This is the consequence caused by loyal party voters.

Until the time when voters will cross party lines based on the quality and goals of candidates, this will continue to take the country down.

del if u wish

1. MizBejabbers profile image89
      MizBejabbersposted 12 months agoin reply to this

I think you said it quite well, and I'm of the opposition party from what I've seen you post. Right now the parties are too polarized for the average party voter to cross party lines. That was possible when both sides were reasonable.

2. lovemychris profile image59
      lovemychrisposted 12 months agoin reply to this

well, Clinton didn't reverse NAFTA, he ratified it. And Obama didn't reverse TARP or Patriot Act, he allowed TARP, tweaked Patriot Act...I dont see the equivalency at all. Trump is trying to erase everything Obama did with Executive Orders. revenge

3. Kathleen Cochran profile image81
      Kathleen Cochranposted 12 months agoin reply to this

Brad: I don't delete comments.  Thanks for your contribution.

3. peoplepower73 profile image93
    peoplepower73posted 12 months ago

Kathleen:  You have to follow the money.  Congress is constantly in campaign mode.

All 435 seats in the House of Representatives are up for re-election every two years during even numbered years. Members serve two-year terms. Senators serve six-year terms. Approximately one third of the Senate is up for re-election every two years. 

Most of the congressmen are beholden to the big corporations and  big moneyed interests that funded their campaigns.  I believe they undermine president's agendas, because they may be diametrically opposed to the interest of those who funded their campaigns. I think today's congress has very little to do with checks and balances.  it's all about you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours.