A nation without strong men ...

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (33 posts)
  1. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
    Kathryn L Hillposted 6 years ago

is doomed.

Why? Because everyone will necessarily become dependent on the government for ... everything!

Consider that becoming a strong and capable Man is becoming more and more difficult in today's politically correct world.

For instance, in California public schools, boys are required to take PE with the girls. Girls take PE with the boys to allow them to develop the same superior athletic skills that boys have, (had.) Little did anyone know that it would not work to the benefit of the boys ...
    at all.
         In the regular PE classes, boys must stifle their energies and their intelligence while playing athletic games with the girls. Their competitive urge is surrendered, striving for excellence abandoned, total involvement and engagement in the sport being played, whether soccer, basketball, baseball, dodgeball fizzles. Instead, the boys' natural instinct comes to fore: The obligation to be polite and courteous in the presence of the girls.
         Furthermore, in Jr. high and High school, girls and boys are very conscious of the opposite sex, therefore they are mostly overwhelmed with self-consciousness. The girls feel the need to be pretty even in their gym clothes. The boys are attracted to them and therefore mostly strive and devise ways keep away from them. Plus they feel stuck with them.
         The superior abilities such as learning the rules, understanding the challenges of the games being played, along with learning the language and behavior of their teachers and appropriately communicating with their team mates is downplayed and impossible for PE teachers, (whether male or female.) to impart.
    (Luckily, students, (the already talented ones,) have the opportunity to sign up for the sport of their choice, which is not coed.)

"Title IX, the famous 'women’s equality' measure passed in 1972 as a federal education amendment. Conventional wisdom is that Title IX enhanced women’s fitness by prohibiting sex discrimination in any sports program receiving federal funding. This presumably applied to virtually all public schools and most private schools that accepted federal scholarships or grants."
    https://fee.org/articles/title-ix-and-t … sequences/

… and when one considers modern society, one can identify many ways in which the development of strength and intelligence is not only down-played, but shut down in boys.

Q. What is causing this phenomenon?

The nature of our "civilized" society?
    Increasing indolence brought about by technology?
    Government welfare programs which reward single mothers and encourage fatherless children?

Wondering

1. Credence2 profile image80
      Credence2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Being strong and capable also means  wisdom, having discretion and being prudent, especially in today's tinder box world.

For there to be true equality and not just lip service, DOD for example, had to allow women in the trenches during war, operating in submarines or as fighter pilots. If we are serious about giving women the opportunity to attain to ranks of General Officer or Admiral, they are going to have to carry their side of the log, otherwise to qualify just as men would.

Its got nothing to do with welfare, PC or anything else, KH, this is about modernity. Things are going to change away from "Donna Reed" because they have to.

I am not an expert on Title 9 but after a brief perusal, it did not mandate coed sports in all cases.

I don't think that it is appropriate to have coed teams, especially in contact sports, but that is just me. While men are usually stronger there may well be an Amazon or two that can compete in certain traditionally men sports, they should be given the opportunity to make the cut. Standards should not be lowered to accommodate them. They are evaluated on their ability. To meet the standard, not dismissed out hand due to their gender.

1. dianetrotter profile image62
        dianetrotterposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I believe misinterpretation of Title 9 is the issue.  School districts do it for convenience and financial reasons.

I was totally ticked off to learn that you can't have separate girls and boys choral classes.  Any idiot knows that boys voices change dramatically more than girls and go through multiple stages.  As a vocal music teacher, I had to deal with a) boys' shame/fear of being laughed at, b) not enough time to engag in techniques specific to vocal development, c) mainstreaming kids with varying disabilities that couldn't focus on singing period, d) lack of appreciation for vocal music pedagogy as opposed to karaoke singng along with Drake, e) perception that vocal music teachers don't have a challenging job.

This impact the inner city schools more than others because of school overcrowding and lack of parental support. 

I'm done guys.  I just got upset when I say Title 9.  It should be clarified and appropriate exceptions made to guarantee the best opportunities for all students.

Diane, You have been part of the education system, I am sure that you can contribute a lot to this discussion. No need to run away.

As a formal educator, is Kathryn's take on this issue the correct one?

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
            Kathryn L Hillposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Yes. I have seen it with my own eyes. I work with the formal educators as a Sub. I take PE assignments all the time, some long-term.

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

She might be busy rolling on the floor.

3. dianetrotter profile image62

As long as it is not political, I can hang.  I get frustrated with stereotypes and name calling.

2. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 6 years agoin reply to this

"While men are usually stronger there may well be an Amazon or two that can compete in certain traditionally men sports, they should be given the opportunity to make the cut. "

While I agree in principle, is it right to force a boy in a contact sport to engage in pretty intimate contact with a girl?  I've read of high school boys that forfeit a wrestling match because they refuse to roll around on the floor grappling with (and being grappled by) a girl. 

I think it's rather simplistic to say that girls are owed a chance while ignoring what it might do to the other sex.

I said that I had difficulty seeing this in the realm of contact sports because of niceties to be observed between two different genders. But I make that exception ONLY in this specific area of athletic competition.

1. MizBejabbers profile image88
            MizBejabbersposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you when it comes to contact sports or that which requires brute strength. In cases such as these, separate but equal should fulfill the law. However, "separate but equal" became a dirty phrase many years ago. Equality should apply to opportunity and funding, not gender competition. There are different classes within the same sport, such as weight classes in wrestling. Why should there not be separate classes according to, and within genders, according to age, size, weight, etc.?

I would go beyond you in saying that I see no reason why there has to be gender separation in weight lifting. There may be a handful of woman who have incredible physical strength. Men are generally stronger, but generally is not absolute and there are always exceptions. Football, I get a little nervous about, because of tackle and the issue of muscle mass and such, competitive wrestling is out. For me, for the most part I draw the line at contact sport's only because of the problems associated with sexual groping and injury. Why can't a woman qualify to play for the New York Yankees, if she happens to be among the very few who can physically compete with men? Maybe being the "best" means having to compete with all comers.

What concerns I have is only for sports where physical contact between opponents of opposite gender would be a required part of the sport.

I guess I really don't have a problem with the coed system, it is just that many female atheletes are open to the challenge of seeing just how good they are in a universal sense.

1. GA Anderson profile image83
                GA Andersonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Hey there Cred, You are beginning to sound a bit like me - in the respect that you appear to want to have your cake, and eat it too.

Consider the gist of the points in your responses here; our society is, or should be, understanding that equality in all matters is only right. Females deserve the equity to compete with males. The old norms were discriminatory. And I agree.

You mention instances of reality - the very real biological differences, like; stature, strength, and mass - as a general rule. (of course there will be exceptions, but they do not disprove the norm of biological reality). And again I agree.

But ... you are not willing to carry your point through. Whose norms are the concerns of sexual contact, immature arousal or phobias? Surely not the younger generation that is demanding the equality you are supporting. On this I disagree.

GA

Hi, back at you

You're right, I have resisted going the full distance with my perspective, so I will now. I will take my chances, hurtle into and embrace a future which is pointing to sexual distinctions having less and less significance, implying a more uni-sex society than reverting to the whalebone corset culture which has been fought in the past  and overcame at a high cost. I can't give conservatives any daylight here. I have to remove the last of my quaint visions of relations between the sexes and embrace the new reality.

So, now why can the girl get a chance to make the boys softball team?

Well Hell Cred, I was hoping you would stick to your guns. Even though I can't justify my exceptions, I do believe there are areas that should be sex-determined - like the Boy Scouts. It's just that my exceptions aren't for phobia reasons. I don't ever want to see a uni-sex society, (ugh), and I would have loved coed wrestling.

GA

2. The0NatureBoy profile image55
                  The0NatureBoyposted 6 years agoin reply to this

And GA, you should have elaborated more on the "sexual contact, immature arousal or phobias." So long as the children are prepubescent there should not be any sexual arousal but as soon as they become boys and girls a sweating ovulating girl is sure to cause arousals in the boys. I know because it happened in my 8th or 9th grade because of a girl's rushing to school during her ovulation caused all of the boys to become aroused. That is why I would only agree with genderless sports only during childhood and prepubescence but any other type of classes could be.

That is a rationalization. It is also similar to Credence2's logic. I still disagree.

It is not that I disagree with your example, or your point, it is that I disagree that one can insist on the "rightness" of the equality premise - and then rationalize carve-outs using the very physical essence of the argument.

GA

2. wilderness profile image95

Funding - would equal funding per participant be satisfactory?  It would mean no inter-school girls football team, but they could still play football in their own stadium (if there were enough participants to hire a coach).

Or must each sport have equal funding for males and female "teams" regardless of participation?  If there are only 6 females wanting to play college baseball must the college spend as much for those 6 as for the 50 male athletes?  If only 6 males wish to play softball, must the college fund them at the same total cost as 50 women?

+1

I agree that all shops should be open to both genders until graduation but for physical education it should only last through "adolescents" and not until becoming boys and girls at puberty. My reason is because just as I was entering puberty a girl who had been rushing to prevent being tardy walked into the classroom and immediately almost every boy in the room became erected and, not knowing why, began to disrupt class until the girl teacher sent her to the physical Education department to shower.

With man, as in all animated life types, the genders are not a concern except once they become adults at puberty as Genesis 2:24) reveals. Following co-ed participation in the different shops until graduation and in physical education until puberty allows both genders to develop their feminine and their masculine attributes and eliminate "internal nature attractions" man call "falling in love". However, during physical education after a girl has entered puberty for her 3 days of ovulation sweating cause the above obvious distractions for the boys. As for the other shops for both and girl both genders would be required to participate in them.

3. dianetrotter profile image62

Many, many miiddle schoolers and high schoolers have heightened sex drive.  You see couples walking, guys rubbing girls in sensitive places, couples rubbing up against each other, French kissing, etc.  Studies have shown that single sex classes learn more.  They don't have th distraction of adolescent crushes, self consciousness about inadequacies, bullying, etc.

Do boys and girls learn better separately?
      http://www.startribune.com/do-boys-and- … 129596013/

Title 9 should be administered in a logical way that allows all to reach their maximum potential.

1. wilderness profile image95

I think you understate the numbers of teens with hieghtened sex drive.  I would have said "every normal" rather than "many many".

I suspect that the kids will learn more in single sex classes...about the subject.  Not about how to dampen that sex drive or control their emotions when necessary or advisable.

What happens to a nation where everyone is dependent on the government for everything?
    Is it not doomed?

3. Aime F profile image69
    Aime Fposted 6 years ago

You are so weird.

1. dianetrotter profile image62

You are killing me.  I will chuckle throughout the night.  ROFLMAO

4. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

I've never been afraid of being weird. You should try it sometime, Aime. Its freeing!

5. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

Cosby was one of the first people to talk about the importance of fathers.  He talked about how welfare destroyed traditional family structures since fatherless families are essentially rewarded.

1. MizBejabbers profile image88
      MizBejabbersposted 6 years agoin reply to this

True, Kathryn. What I see today is that fatherless families are becoming the norm. Just listening to the talk among my young co-workers in a large government agency, it seems like a number of them, or their grown daughters, were choosing to have children out of wedlock. It seemed to be a badge of honor among a segment of them. These young women weren't eligible for welfare because they had incomes. Not as much as a two income household, of course, but adequate. Now whether these women were drawing child support for their child or children, I don't know and I certainly didn't ask.

Yes, Kathryn, there is some truth in the need for fathers in the civilization's families when the boys were the provider for the family but those days are almost gone.

MizBejabber, since we are now entering the last few years before man returns to ecological living the instinctive nature of only the mother is responsible for raising the child - only one unless it was a multiple birth - in preparing them to know what to expect once civ illation is no longer. That is the real badge of being a mother, to provide for the child alone.

How that relates to this thread's topic goes back to what Diane Trotter said 22 hours ago, children are being educated better in single gender classes. One of my girl friends has a six-year-old son who demand his alone time even at home. All of that is because civilization is about to terminate itself.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)