"If we stop testing right now, we'd have very few cases, actually."

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (15 posts)
  1. crankalicious profile image85
    crankaliciousposted 3 years ago

In discussing the Coronavirus with seniors (in Iowa, I think), Trump said that if we stop testing, we would have fewer cases of the Coronavirus.

This might be the stupidest thing a U.S. President has ever said.

I assume what he's trying to say is that other nations aren't doing as much testing as we are, so if we did less testing, we might not look so bad compared to other nations who aren't doing as much testing. As in, we're getting undue criticism because we're trying to figure out how many people truly have Coronavirus.

One assumes that Trump believes we should do less testing so that things don't seem as bad as they are.

1. Credence2 profile image78
      Credence2posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Yes, Crank, it is stupid. But, what else is to be expected from shallow a man, who really cares more about his reelections prospects than public health? Look at what is going on in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

crankaliciousposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Well, if they don't count how many people who get sick at his rallies, then Coronavirus won't likely spread there.

2. crankalicious profile image85

Seen this, Cred? From Republicans Against Trump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5Xpwyd4aMM

Thanks, Crank. It is an eye opener, but i suspect that most will get into line by November, and continue to,support Trump as their practical alternative. In the time that remains,

2. GA Anderson profile image87
          GA Andersonposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Well, harrumph, sputter, and pshptf. What the hell does Lindsey know. That was then, this is now.

Yeh Trump!

That is an expected response, right? The irony is that even Lindsey will refute his own statements now.

GA

But what about your assumption; that he is referring to other nations' testing. Did that fly out the window as quickly as it was said?

Is it really possible that is what he meant, or must he be held to the common interpretation of what he said?

GA

Why be wishy-washy, can I not hold a person accountable for what he or she has said? His attitude about testing and the pandemic generally support the words. It is in all the papers, don't you know

Regardless of your 'sticks and stones' analogy on another thread being apt for a school yard playground, we cannot ignore the fact that for grown ups words have power and meaning, particularly from those that are suppose to be the leaders.

I am not going to excuse a grown man at so lofty an office for being careless about what comes out from of his mouth.

Obama probably caused him to say it.

"I am not going to excuse a grown man at so lofty an office for being careless about what comes out from of his mouth."

And with this, I agree.

*nudge, nudge. . . That was a poke at Crankalicious, I would have given you a pass on it.  ;-)

GA

2. Sharlee01 profile image79
        Sharlee01posted 3 years agoin reply to this

In my view after reading his full statement on the subject, he was referring to his opinion that our infection rate for COVID is higher than in other countries due to we have increased testing for COVID infection. He has been stating every chance he gets that the US is testing more than any other country at this point.  He is correct in the assumption the more tested the more will be discovered to have COVID. He may want to rethink his opinion on testing.

Testing is a good thing. It works to determine who needs to be a quarantine and traced, it also works to show the virus is killing a less present of those that have it or have had it. testing is a good thing. I had hoped they would make the antibody test free, this number would also aid to increase the number of who has had it. I had the test as well as my son and grandson, and two of my neighbors we all had the good test where they draw blood. We all had antibodies. The more that had it the better to show it is not making all sick, and that death rate will be perhaps small to the number that contracted the virus. I think the more testing the better. They should be doing both COVID testing and antibody testing. So far we know it's a killer of the elderly, and those that have compromised health. If we have a second wave in the fall, we could learn who and how to protect our society, without closing the country.  Hopefully, the next wave will show a mutated COVID.

3. crankalicious profile image85

Wow. I may have to repost. Trump only took a few days to come out with an even more stupid statement:

Today, on the DACA decision and others:

"Do you get the feeling the Supreme Court doesn't like me?"

Because I'm sure in thinking about the rights of people and the law, the Supreme Court was thinking how they could screw over President Trump.

Just wow.

Wait, just found another:

"I did something good: I made Juneteenth very famous," Trump said in reference to the rally date in an interview published Thursday. "It's actually an important event, an important time. But nobody had ever heard of it."

It's been around since 1867.

1. Sharlee01 profile image79
            Sharlee01posted 3 years agoin reply to this

I certainly will admit I never heard of Juneteenth.  So, you had heard of it?  The statement about the Supreme Court was classic Trump sarcasm.

3. Santi Salinas profile image77
      Santi Salinasposted 3 years ago

What most people don't know is that the graph that reveals the amount of confirmed cases of COVID are not a measurement of the prevalence of the disease, it is a measurement of how aggressively the country is testing for the virus. The US has the most confirmed cases in the world because it has the most resources and sites for testing and also the majority of its citizens have the accessibility to them. Even if we did do less test, the numbers will not change. Just because we don't see the cases does not mean that it is not there.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)