A good person or a bad president - which matters more?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (96 posts)
  1. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
    Kathleen Cochranposted 7 months ago

Jimmy Carter just turned 99. He is America's longest-living president. Unquestioningly, he has lived a good life, accomplishing much in the world that has led to the benefit of countless people. But history has labeled him a bad president for the decisions he made in the one term he served.

Which is more important? Being a good person or being a good president?

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 7 months agoin reply to this

I suppose one could ask which one affected the most lives...

1. Sharlee01 profile image84
        Sharlee01posted 7 months agoin reply to this

I feel you've made an excellent observation. I've definitely drawn comparisons between Carter's time in office and Biden's current term. The parallels are striking, as both administrations encountered issues they struggled to address effectively while seemingly remaining unaware of the problems. Instead, they focused on allocating funds toward social programs and personal projects. Were both "good men"? That is in the eye of the beholder, I do think Carter has more than proved throughout his life that he is a good man. However, he was not cut out to be president.  We lived under much the same poor economy as we are now, and he left the country in a mess. So, in the end, I would surmise he hurt more citizens while he was in office than he helped.

As you can see, the thread has moved quickly into "Biden's good man", Trump's bad man".

So, I feel comfortable that this comment reflects the conversation -- yet no one here is on board with addressing Biden's blunders.

1. MizBejabbers profile image88
          MizBejabbersposted 7 months agoin reply to this

Yes, it's too bad it has evolved that way. I'm surprised that (at least I haven't seen) no one has brought up Bill Clinton. Was he a good man? I knew him personally, but I still don't know enough about him to say. I think he was basically good, but he and Hillary did have their problems. And frankly, there were enough rumors about her dallying outside the marriage. I didn't know her because she refused to get acquainted with anyone in the media. But he did have the intellect and ability to run a government, be it state or federal. He left both the State of Arkansas and the federal government with a balanced budget while still fighting off impeachment and Whitewater. In fact, it was his presidency that started this whole process of "lets impeach the president because he isn't in our party."

Bill was a conservative Democrat, an oxymoron, a middle of the roader (Hillary was the flaming liberal). I believe that we need more like him and a Congress that will let the president do his job.

Hi, Ms.Doris

I believe Bill Clinton serves as an interesting example of a president who, while not without flaws in his character, proved to be effective in his role. He possessed a strong sense of practicality and was adept at resolving issues, qualities that I admired.

During his campaign, (dare I say) he addressed many of the problems that Americans felt were pressing at the time. He was a skilled campaigner with a likable demeanor, and once in office, he promptly began working towards fulfilling his promises. His focus on improving the economy, reducing unemployment, addressing the growing deficit, and reforming welfare made a positive impact. However, he faced challenges in achieving healthcare reform.

Despite his imperfections, I view Bill Clinton as a good president. People appreciated his competent governance and approachable personality. I voted for him and have never regretted that decision.

I  agree it would be beneficial if Congress let a president do their job --- if it was the job he campaigned on. A president should work on what they promised the people, as Bill Clinton did. We recognized that he worked on what he said he intended to work on.  No surprises. Well, one surprise... (I am smiling) So, pleased you brought up Bill ...

Shar

2. Castlepaloma profile image76
        Castlepalomaposted 7 months agoin reply to this

Can't imagine any one person abilities from the top, down to service everyone's a  individual or their best well being. I can imagine the grassroots bottom up serving everyone better.
        Who is more likely to be into fascism?

2. Sharlee01 profile image84

I think your example that uses Jimmy Carter is a good one. Carter's historical presidential job performance was not complimentary. However, his reputation as a man is exemplary. His character is that of a man who has spent his life helping others.

In the end, a president could be what you refer to as a"good person". Yet unable to do the hard job as a president.  This wonderfully good person could ruin the country due to just not being qualified to do that very hard job.

The importance of being a good person versus being a good president depends on one's perspective and the context in which the question is asked. From a moral and ethical standpoint, being a good person is generally considered more important. Ethics and morality are fundamental to one's character.

However, from a political perspective, being a good president can also be crucial because a president's decisions and policies can have a significant impact on a nation's well-being, economy, and security. Effective leadership, strategic thinking, and the ability to govern competently are important qualities for a president to possess. A president's job is to serve the best interests of the country and its citizens, which may sometimes involve making tough decisions that are not universally seen as morally good but are considered necessary for the greater good.

Ultimately, the ideal scenario is for a president to be both a good person and a good president, balancing moral principles with effective governance. However, when evaluating leaders, and individuals, one may prioritize one aspect over the other based on their values and priorities.

1. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 7 months agoin reply to this

I like this.  You point out that decisions are not black and white; that sometimes an action is necessary that is not liked and not well accepted but still necessary.  And that is all too true.

Lots of gray is involved in the day of a president. I surmise.

I think that is true. Also, the president has access to information that the general public does not. Sometimes the president's actions are colored by what the public does not know, especially those involving other countries. (and, who knows, maybe those involving ETs) lol

I so agree, and so appreciate the wonderful way you communicate. Just stands to further great conversation.

Thank you, Sharlee. Sometimes one has to laugh to keep from crying.

2. Ken Burgess profile image77
          Ken Burgessposted 7 months agoin reply to this

One has to consider the context in which decisions must be made.

Take Biden for example... was deciding to pull out of Afghanistan with the speed in which it was done, the right thing to do?

Was it done because they knew they were going to escalate the conflict in Ukraine with Russia?

Was choosing to ignore Russia's perspectives, its red-lines and demands,   the right decision for Ukrainians, Europeans, Americans?

Has it been worth the hundreds of thousands of lives lost, the hundreds of billions of dollars spent, for a conflict certain to end in a victory for Russia or an escalation to WWIII?

An interesting question has been posed... and I can see where the focus was intended, based on the John Kelly quote.

Was choosing to ignore Russia's perspectives, its red-lines and demands,   the right decision for Ukrainians, Europeans, Americans?

Ken, you really bring up a good point, but herein lies an example of what the government knows that the public does not. I say this because I spent 10 days in the Soviet Union during Perestroika. I was on an educational tour because I was studying Russian and Soviet History at our university branch in Little Rock. We interviewed a lot of Russian people while we were there, including university students, merchants, and even European tourists visiting Moscow and Leningrad. Even one of our older students (like me) was able to get acquainted with hotel security guards in Leningrad and interview them, some who were KGB. We came home with a consensus. Nearly 100% of these Russians we spoke to approved of  and respected Gorbachev because of his leadership of the country. He was giving the people more freedoms, including the opening of private enterprise and allowing the churches to reopen. One person even said that Gorbachev was a Christian. (I was privileged to attend a Russian Orthodox service there.)

But many of them expressed concerns that relaxing the laws and giving the citizens more freedoms would open the doors to a takeover by the Russian Mafia. Their concerns were warranted because that is exactly what has happened. Putin is a top dog in the mafia, and the current changes to the country under his leadership have returned much of the country to what it was before Perestroika. I had hoped to make another trip to that country, but I have no desire to now. I don't think the American people understand what the invasion of Ukraine really meant, but the Europeans in the countries bordering Russia do and they are frightened. After all, we are over here with an ocean on each side protecting us, so we are safe, aren't we? I'm a senior citizen. I remember WWII and although I was a toddler, I remember my grandma worrying and praying about her three "boys" in the Pacific.

You have every right to disagree with me, but I believe that a Russian victory in Ukraine would come nearer to pushing us into WWIII than defeating Russia under its mafia leadership, and I think our government policy on Ukraine is working under this premise. Our govt. sees give them one piece and they want the whole pie. Many Americans, however, see buckets of money being poured down a rathole.

1. Ken Burgess profile image77

It is good that you have some experience to call back on.

I have a fair amount of experience outside the US as well, and I have spent many hours, lets say an hour a day for the last 590 days, studying and researching this situation (Ukraine history, Russian history, and the ongoing war).

So... to summarize greatly the situation:

This war would not have happened without the Biden Administrations support and 'go ahead' to Zelensky.

Zelensky in 2021:
              In late February, President Volodymyr Zelensky signed a decree establishing the Crimean Platform, an initiative aimed at uniting and coordinating international efforts to aid deoccupation of the Crimean Peninsula. Predictably, Russia called the initiative a “threat of aggression” against “its regions.” The first international summit of the platform is scheduled for August 23, 2021, the day before Ukraine celebrates the thirtieth anniversary of its independence.

https://www.wilsoncenter.org/blog-post/ … march-2021

https://euromaidanpress.com/2021/03/11/ … -platform/

Ukranian Parliament put into law that they would take Crimea back, by force if necessary.

The Russian speaking Crimean populace, with more significant ties to Russia and Russians than Ukraine, wanted to be part of Russia, and became part of the Russian Republic in 2014.

If Ukraine and the West (America) had been willing to accept that, and negotiate a peaceful resolution to the Donbas (also predominantly Russian heritage and Russian speaking) regions, there would be no war.

Biden has ALWAYS stated there will be no compromise with Russia regarding Crimea.  Therefore Biden has ALWAYS sought war with Russia and has no intention of ever negotiating a peace with Russia. 

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-roo … f-ukraine/

The United States does not and will never recognize Russia’s purported annexation of the [Crimean] peninsula

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
                Kathryn L Hillposted 7 months agoin reply to this

~ could this miserable strife end with a new US president who understands what you say here? Can we survive another year of this war and it's effects on our economy? What affects our economy more: the war or the energy dependence? or both? What would be a good solution, ideally?

I have not studied what the Republican candidates have said.  I know RFK Jr. plans to continue the fight, I was disappointed when I saw his take on it. 

Trump has said he would end it, on day one.  Needless to say, Trump won't be getting elected, the entire Military Industrial Complex, as well as most other corporate giants are against him.

Besides the cost in lives and direct aid (at least 100 Billion spent that we know of)... There is considerable cost in international relationships because of this war.

America's position is not seen by the non-Western world as being in the right.  Many nations have grown sympathetic to Russia's position in this matter.

Europe's economy is paying a heavy price for this as well, Russia was a source of cheap energy and raw materials prior to this war.  The EU now contends with crippling energy prices while also being hammered with a continuing migration problem, the EU is buckling under increasing pressure the longer this war goes on.

As for what would be a good solution... an end to the war.  A return to normal relations with Russia, especially between the EU and Russia.

Acknowledge Crimea (and now the Donbas Regions as well) as part of Russia. 

Ukraine cannot defeat Russia... is was, and still is, a grave miscalculation by this current Administration that they could cause Russia to lose the war, or collapse internally.

Russia appears now to be getting stronger because of the war, they are on wartime footing, the chance that there would be an overthrow of Putin seems to have passed, if that was ever a possibility.

Russia is rallying and garnering allies, in what it recognizes as an all out war against it by the West.  The only way Russia or Putin falls now, is if America (and the UK/NATO) choose to engage it fully in WWIII.

And if our leadership chooses to do that, we may all perish, or live far more miserable lives for it.

2. Readmikenow profile image95
                Readmikenowposted 7 months agoin reply to this

"I have a fair amount of experience outside the US as well, and I have spent many hours, lets say an hour a day for the last 590 days, studying and researching this situation (Ukraine history, Russian history, and the ongoing war)."

One thing you HAVEN'T done is spent time in Ukraine speaking with Ukrainians.  You HAVEN'T spent time in Crimea speaking with those who live there. 

It is easy to play into the fantasy that you look at things in the internet and then declare yourself an expert.

It's another thing to go there, speak with the people, and learn their reality.

Again, you really have NO idea what you're talking about.

This situation is more complicated than you seem to realize.

It's is disappointing you understand this about the things you say.

It's okay, because you should hear the things Ukrainians, who have never been to the United States, say about this country.  Just like you, they think reading stuff on the internet makes them an expert on all things associated with the United States.

Mike, my understanding is better than some who are making the decisions in DC to continue this war.

My understanding is better than yours, regarding the logistics and cost of this war, this is not personal to me, it is to you, your bias makes you a poor judge on the matter.  Ukraine CANNOT WIN unless America intercedes directly.

EDIT:

Let me add context.

The Donbas regions that had been trying to secede for a decade and Crimea that has been part of the Russian Republic for nearly a decade, are not Occupied Territories.

This is important for people to understand.

If they were occupied territory... if a foriegn force were controlling them... that military force would have to constantly fight for control over the population.

Such wars typically fail... the UK could not maintain control of the American colonies, America could not maintain control of Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan.

It doesn't work, unless you are willing to be brutal, willing to massacre entire populations, as was done to the Germans and Japanese in WWII.

So... the people in the Donbas and Crimea regions are NOT fighting to be part of Ukraine, they are fighting to be FREE of Ukraine.

That makes Ukraine the invading force.

Russia has already made its stand, it has already said it will not give up Crimea under any circumstances. 

This means Russia itself must be defeated, Russia with the largest nuclear arsenal in the world.

Ukraine cannot defeat Russia.

Only America directly engaging Russia makes that possible... that is WWIII.

I fully believe that was the Biden Administration's plan all along.

1. Readmikenow profile image95
                    Readmikenowposted 7 months agoin reply to this

"The Donbas regions that had been trying to secede for a decade and Crimea that has been part of the Russian Republic for nearly a decade, are not Occupied Territories."

You have lost all sense of reality.

They ARE Ukrainian territory.  russian forces DID invade them.  These are facts.  Maybe facts beyond your ability to comprehend, but they are facts.  The majority of the world agrees that russia is the invading force.

You have absolutely no credibility on this subject.

3. abwilliams profile image68
          abwilliamsposted 7 months agoin reply to this

I think a perfect example is what has just happened with the ousting of McCarthy. An action was required, which will sting for a bit, but may be what saves us in the end.
          But enough about that, don't want to get off topic. Perhaps someone will introduce that topic to the forum!?
          Not me, my last two contributions were duds. wink

3. Castlepaloma profile image76

A US President is of a corporation- US Corp. , not of a country. Don't like Corporatism.
      Vote them all., they are all the same under Martial Law.

Love,:We the People:. Under US Constitutional law

4. abwilliams profile image68

"Which is more important? Being a good person or being a good president?"

When they are the current President, naturally, the latter!

I must agree. In my view, Biden has proven he just is not cut out for the job. I mean, do we not need someone who can do the actual job at the helm?

1. Castlepaloma profile image76

With every US presidents getting worst since John F Kennedy. It's a no brainer that my life policy of being honest for mass part of it.  And the number one rule of doing no harm. And actually being sticktoativeness to every step of the way. Call me political incorrect.  I'm a better person compared to
          greatest liars and killers on the planet. Who would really want to be a US President, Better off leading your own lives.

5. Miebakagh57 profile image67
      Miebakagh57posted 7 months agoin reply to this

Is the president not a person? But the president is pictured more as an office than anything else.                                   A bad person can be a good president, and a good per a bad president. The many examples can fill a book.                                   When Jimmy Carter saddled the presidency, I was glad because he appointed Andrew Young, as ambassador to the UN.                                      Critically, the only mistake Jimmy Carter, did was his failure to get the 52 American released.

After being a puppets for so long, I wonder? A president can only be a leader of a.Corporation. not of a country. They call a corporation a person, not to me

2. Kathleen Cochran profile image77

John Kelly, Trump Chief of Staff: "“Trump is a person who is not truthful regarding his position on the protection of unborn life, on women, on minorities, on evangelical Christians, on Jews, on working men and women. A person that has no idea what America stands for and has no idea what America is all about. A person who cavalierly suggests that a selfless warrior who has served his country for 40 years in peacetime and war should lose his life for treason – in expectation that someone will take action. A person who admires autocrats and murderous dictators. A person that has nothing but contempt for our democratic institutions, our Constitution, and the rule of law. God help us.”

Kathleen Cochranposted 7 months agoin reply to this

This man was closer to Trump than anybody but his family. Describe, please, how you defend a person like this to the point of electing him to the highest office in the land.

What are you searching for? Once again, the upcoming presidential election poses a challenging decision for Americans. It requires us to weigh the strengths and weaknesses of two candidates, both carrying their own baggage. One has demonstrated struggles in governance, while the other, despite his significant baggage, appears well-suited for the job.

In my perspective, we cannot afford to retain a leader who exhibits signs of senility. Did you happen to watch his recent speech? Beyond a certain point, it becomes evident that he struggles to maintain coherent thoughts and simply walks away. You can see this at the 7-minute mark in this clip: [link]

Many argue that his leadership has inflicted considerable harm upon America and that it is imperative for someone else to step in and rectify the situation. Consequently, we face a formidable choice: Should we vote for a man whom the majority of Americans believe has performed poorly, is advanced in age, and possibly facing cognitive decline, solely based on the perception of his superior moral character?

This raises the question of whether emotions are clouding our judgment, overriding common sense.

Source for comment in regard to Biden's speech problem yesterday --
        Enter the clip at 7.00
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AceeKSt21Q

Sharlee: I knew you'd be the first.

I often find myself among the first to comment on a thread, and I believe that within a community, it's crucial to acknowledge the effort someone invests in initiating a discussion. Additionally, I'm eager to kickstart conversations and discover the insights and contributions of others. Hopefully, more join in. and share their views.

No. I knew you would be the first because nothing about Trump makes an impact on you. He would literally have to shoot somebody on 5th Avenue with hundreds of witnesses to make a dent in your opinion. Do you hear the words people who were closest to him say about him? Not his policies. Not the legislation he passed. Him. The kind of person/threat he is to our country? I know. I should save my little typing fingers. Nothing gets through.

1. abwilliams profile image68

Oh!?!
                He didn't shoot somebody on 5th Avenue with hundreds of witnesses?

I should have not become engaged --- Will I ever learn?   LOL
                  Hey, I tried.

2. Sharlee01 profile image84

I've already responded to your comment concerning my perspective on the choices available in the 2024 election. I took the time to elaborate on my viewpoint regarding the matter of choosing between two flawed candidates.  It appears that my perspective doesn't align with yours, and I'd like to emphasize that I respectfully disagree with your stance. To reiterate my response to your question, after careful deliberation and recognizing that Trump aligns with my policy preferences and agenda
                I find it commendable.

I feel between the two men, Trump proved in my view,  to do a much better job as president. Trump wins hands down in regard to job performance. Biden again in my view, has failed in the job, and I feel he is experiencing dementia.   I  certainly could never consider voting for a man that I feel has dementia.   

As an American citizen, I find that the Democratic party does not provide offerings that resonate with my beliefs and priorities.

I take voting very seriously, emotions just do not come into play. Trump has shown himself capable of running the country --- Biden has failed and is cognitively Impaired.

3. Credence2 profile image78
    Credence2posted 7 months ago

There are plenty of examples of good people that made for bad presidents, I am reminded of Ulysses Grant, for example. They simply did not have the skill set or were simply overwhelmed by events, as was the case with Jimmy Carter.

But, I say that bad people cannot fundamentally be good Presidents. I am reminded of Andrew Johnson and Donald Trump, not even Nixon can be categorized as part of it in the same way.

Impressive statement, but have you thoroughly explored the alternative perspective? A significant portion of the American population believes that the current administration has underperformed, and there are observable concerns about cognitive abilities. It's becoming increasingly difficult to overlook the numerous challenges facing America today. While we do face a tough decision, should Trump emerge as the candidate, his track record suggests he is capable of fulfilling the role. I, like many, am eager to hire someone who can effectively lead. The prospect of our country faltering under the wrong leadership is a daunting one. Joe Biden has, in the eyes of a majority, struggled to demonstrate his suitability for the job. It's perplexing to contemplate anyone, regardless of political leanings, supporting his candidacy when assessing the current state of affairs. I must say --- Come on!
      Yesterday's speech --   His cognitive state is getting worse by the day.
        Source  Enter the clip at 7.00
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AceeKSt21Q

4. Kathleen Cochran profile image77

Nice you can laugh about it. If only his followers took the serious more seriously. It is not all about them, their stock portfolio, their taxes, how much they pay for gas, their one-issue votes. They throw around comments like "Biden is ruining the country" when Trump tried to undermine the republic, the rule of law, the constitution. Not all presidents are good people. Trump is dangerous - and people laugh.

I was sharing with AB making a point  ---  Trying to say, I should not have ventured to engage with you.  Followed by I never learn, laughing at myself.

I addressed each and every one of the comments you directed to me. My comments were very polite, not once did I get personal or hyperbolic. I  addressed my comments sharing my own views. By no means did I try to insult your views.

Now in turn I ask you to read the comments that you addressed to me.
      They were personal, and edge on being baiting, you directed a rant my way.

Yes, I disagreed with you, but compare our context, and the way we communicate. It appears if one does not agree with you, you seem to feel you have the right to become combative.

You really need to stop and review the entire conversation.

I will stay clear of your threads, and you... As I shared with AB -- I tried.
      This time I learned.

5. Willowarbor profile image61
    Willowarborposted 7 months ago

Simple question here. For those who adamantly support Trump, what do you admire in his character? Are there examples that you can point to that you really connected with as evidence of his integrity? I'm not looking for policy.  I'm looking for things that you would point toward, to your children and your grandchildren as an example of character.  Something to emulate, something to look up to. I don't want to hear about Biden and  photos that are paused on hair sniffing.  I simply want to hear your Trump moments that are inspiring examples of character, integrity and honesty.
    If you have none then just be honest that character doesn't matter to you.  Definitely no lipstick on a pig here.  If the man appeals to your most base instincts then just admit it already.

How liberal of you not to want to hear anything negative in regard to Biden's character. flaws. All should be ignored in regard to his character.  I ask you the same questions just change the name from Trump to Biden.  Would you be comfortable explaining his obsession with hair sniffing to your children?  So, If the man appeals to your most basic instincts then just admit it already.

6. KaboomView profile image46
    KaboomViewposted 7 months ago

The question of whether being a good person or a bad president matters more is complex and often subjective. It depends on various factors, including individual values, priorities, and the specific context in which one is evaluating a leader.

Here are some considerations:

Effectiveness as a President: Some people prioritize a president's ability to govern effectively, make decisions, and achieve policy goals. They may be willing to overlook personal flaws if they believe the president is advancing policies that align with their values and benefiting the country.

Character and Ethics: For others, the character, integrity, and ethics of a leader matter most. They argue that a president's personal behavior and moral compass are indicative of their ability to lead with honesty, empathy, and a commitment to the greater good.

Public Perception: Public perception plays a significant role. How a president is perceived by the public and the world can impact their ability to lead effectively. A leader widely perceived as morally upright may have an easier time building trust and forming alliances.

Historical Legacy: Historians often assess presidents' legacies based on both their policy achievements and personal character. Presidents who are remembered as ethical and virtuous may leave a more positive and lasting impact on history.

Balancing Act: Many argue that it's important to strike a balance between being a good person and an effective president. They believe that leadership should encompass both ethical behavior and effective governance.

I share your sentiments. However, the current landscape has somewhat limited our considerations, primarily revolving around the two existing candidates. As you may have noticed, the conversation often steers towards discussing Trump and what some perceive as his character flaws, which is not unexpected given that we are discussing the 2024 election.

From my perspective, as voters, we find ourselves in a situation where both candidates exhibit their own set of flaws that they are grappling with. Consequently, we must confront these flaws and make a decision regarding which candidate is better suited for the demands of the presidency. It necessitates a careful evaluation of their capacity to perform the role, as you so insightfully pointed out, prioritizing a president's ability to govern effectively, make informed decisions, and achieve policy objectives.

I also believe that when selecting a president, it is crucial that their values, ideologies, and vision for the nation align with one's own. Ultimately, the upcoming election poses a challenging decision for some. I have always made it a point not to let my emotions cloud my judgment. Instead, I rely on the knowledge I have gathered over the past three years and evaluate the job performance of the previous president. I am unwilling to let my emotions dictate the choice of the leader of the free world.

7. Willowarbor profile image61

A good person? You be the judge and let me know if this is okay.

John Kelly, the longest-serving White House chief of staff for Donald Trump, offered his harshest criticism yet of Trump.

“What can I add that has not already been said?” Kelly said, when asked if he wanted to weigh in on his former boss in light of recent comments made by other former Trump officials. “A person that thinks those who defend their country in uniform, or are shot down or seriously wounded in combat, or spend years being tortured as POWs are all ‘suckers’ because ‘there is nothing in it for them.’ A person that did not want to be seen in the presence of military amputees because ‘it doesn’t look good for me.’ A person who demonstrated open contempt for a Gold Star family – for all Gold Star families – on TV during the 2016 campaign, and rants that our most precious heroes who gave their lives in America’s defense are ‘losers’ and wouldn’t visit their graves in France.

A person who is not truthful regarding his position on the protection of unborn life, on women, on minorities, on evangelical Christians, on Jews, on working men and women,” Kelly continued. “A person that has no idea what America stands for and has no idea what America is all about. A person who cavalierly suggests that a selfless warrior who has served his country for 40 years in peacetime and war should lose his life for treason (Milley) – in expectation that someone will take action. A person who admires autocrats and murderous dictators. A person that has nothing but contempt for our democratic institutions, our Constitution, and the rule of law.

“There is nothing more that can be said,” Kelly concluded. “God help us."

Trump is absolutely devoid of character or integrity.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administra … -war-dead/

It's why I don't pick either extreme sides of two evils.
      Pick yourself to be your own best leader instead.

It's clear that Americans will face a significant decision in 2024 when choosing their next president. For some, this choice seems like picking between two less-than-ideal options. From my view, though, I find this decision rather straightforward, and simple. When considering hiring an employee, an employer typically selects the person they believe is best suited for the job. References, qualifications, and the ability to perform both physically and mentally are usually crucial factors.

In this context, when comparing the two options, Biden falls short of Trump in all these aspects, big time.  To put it bluntly, I have great concerns about Biden's capabilities.  Plus, can't stand the Democratic policies and truely harmful agenda.

1. Willowarbor profile image61
          Willowarborposted 7 months agoin reply to this

But if your employee is pretty much quoting Hitler, is that not a red flag?  That's an automatic disqualification from me. I don't think that there is any reasonable justification for a throwback to Hitler's ideology.  I mean I suppose it would be acceptable if you're in line with that type of thought.  But how are Trump's qualifications in excess of Biden's? Trump never even seemed to have even the basic understanding of how government worked. Staffers have stated they needed to explain the most fundamental things to him.  As far as a successful businessman, the curtain has been pulled down on that one also. He seems to be a fraud who squandered the almost a billion dollars that his father left him.  Even at the very most basic level, when he speaks it is just an incoherent word salad generally filled with lies and ugly hateful rhetoric.  That's just not okay for a lot of us out here.

I think after my last comment you should have a good understanding of how I am voting for, and why I am voting for him --- Perhaps this will make it really clear -- I don't care what he said, or how many indictments he has. He did a dam good job, and I am looking for a guy that has the ability to fix things. I mean everything Boden touched he ruined.

I feel Biden is a non-starter.  Thank goodness the majority of Americans share my view of his poor job performance. I am sorry for those who continue to support him.   Sort of pitiful in a way.  Your bait is really weak and so repetitive.

2. abwilliams profile image68

Oh good angling there Willow! Now that the Biden Administration is in agreement with Trump about a wall and the crisis...can no longer use the words, "racist" and "xenophobic"!!

So now it's, Trump "quotes Hitler".

Did you come up with that or has it been in circulation since the news broke?

2. Credence2 profile image78
      Credence2posted 7 months agoin reply to this

The Rightwingers, Republicans and Trump will all deny that Trump did in fact say what John Kelly had claimed that he said.  But I believe Kelly, as Trumps statement is not out of character with his attack on John McCain's military service in 2015, which he did, in fact, say. A President  that disrespects our Armed Forces and the men and women who make the ultimate sacrifice, as Commander and Chief, is a bad person first and it consequently follows, a bad President as well.

Here is a little more for the grist mill.....

WASHINGTON — Donald Trump is asking a federal judge to dismiss criminal charges against him based on his actions leading up to his Jan. 6, 2021, coup attempt because, as president, that coup attempt should be considered part of his presidential duties.

Donald Trump is a spoiled sport over the selection of being president. And he owns me also $10,000 is why I really don't like him. Yet to call Trump part of a coup of January 6th. Where no cops died that day and only 2.7 millions of damages, would be chump change out of his pocket. Compared countless murders and billions of dollars damages across the country over Black lives matter. I think some priority are terrible out of whack. If all these protesters crooks came a looting my store. I wouldn't depend on politicians nor police to save my store of business  I'd be ready with pepper bombs and salt guns. And finally make good use out of triple layers of COVID masks. They would have a big surprise coming!!!

1. Credence2 profile image78

Well excuse me Castle if I expressed having a great deal more problems with Trump and MAGA beyond the fact that he "stiffed" you over some money.

Looking at the big picture of the BLM protests, I believe that my perspective and priority of the violence relative to J6 over a matter of hours compared with the violence and property damage relative to participation in the 2020 BLM protests over a period of 3 months is spot on.

I stand firm with the BLM objective of equality in application of law enforcement and me and mine will continue to make a point of it and insist upon that, regardless of how many pepper bombs you have....

So, I beg your pardon....
          -------

The George Floyd protest movement began hours after his murder as bystander video and word of mouth began to spread.[20] Protests first emerged at the East 38th and Chicago Avenue street intersection in Minneapolis, the location of Floyd's arrest and murder, and other locations in the Minneapolis–Saint Paul metropolitan area of Minnesota.[21] Protests quickly spread nationwide and to over 2,000 cities and towns in over 60 countries in support of the Black Lives Matter (BLM) movement.[22][23][24] Polls in the summer of 2020 estimated that between 15 million and 26 million people had participated at some point in the demonstrations in the United States, making the protests the largest in U.S. history.[25][26][27]

While the majority of protests were peaceful,[28] demonstrations in some cities escalated into riots, looting,[29] and street skirmishes with police and counter-protesters. Some police responded to protests with instances of violence, including against reporters.[30][31][32] At least 200 cities in the U.S. had imposed curfews by early June 2020, while more than 30 states and Washington, D.C. activated over 96,000 National Guard, State Guard, 82nd Airborne, and 3rd Infantry Regiment service members.[33][34][35][36] The deployment, when combined with preexisting deployments related to the COVID-19 pandemic and other natural disasters, constituted the largest military operation other than war in U.S. history.[37] By the end of June 2020, at least 14,000 people had been arrested.[4][38][39] By June 2020, more than 19 people had died in relation to the unrest. A report from the Armed Conflict Location and Event Data Project estimated that between May 26 and August 22, 93% of individual protests were "peaceful and nondestructive"[40][41] and research from the Nonviolent Action Lab and Crowd Counting Consortium estimated that by the end of June, 96.3% of 7,305 demonstrations involved no injuries and no property damage.[42] However, arson, vandalism, and looting that occurred between May 26 and June 8 caused approximately $1–2 billion in insured damages nationally, the highest recorded damage from civil disorder in U.S. history, and surpassing the record set during the 1992 Los Angeles riots.[6][43]

Being an mini anarchist, don't take stake or stock on how horrible the state of the world is today. By means of mainstream media, legal drugs, political and worst financial institutions. I'm satisfied in my world and will service it's worst recovery ever to come, in our lifetime anyway.

Floyd's had enough drugs in him to kill 3 people. Here is the lies, myth and fraud about it.
            https://city-countyobserver.com/letter- … and-fraud/

I've had more girlfriends of color than whites and married one with creating a daughter. White àre not the only ones racist and what race doesn't have the same rights as I do? The greatest problem and crimes in the black culture is mostly due to fatherless parents.  My mix race daughter has a better chance of getting into university if she calls herself brown instead of white. It's been up and down in the dominated  race game in the Corse of world human history. There is more billionaires in Asia than in North America, call them racist.

Classic right wing diatribe, Castle.

The same rubbish I get from Rightwingers all of the time. Dr. Moss' affiliations and values are quite evident. Why is he presumed to have the correct answers while this "truth" was so cleverly concealed in a court of law during the trial of Chauvin? One guy's opinion can overrule that of many more just as qualified to make a judgement, that is the rightwinger for you. That is the sort of excrement Trump and the MAGA would have my buy saying the election was stolen. Well, I don't buy it. This Dr Moss is politically biased  and solitary in his opinion, why should I believe him?

I am not an anarchist but am committed to making a civilized, just and fair society, under rule of law. So, I have not given up on that ideal, yet many thinking on your lines of reasoning seem to have.

Racism is a component of the larger war between have and have nots, it is just a tool in the tool box. It's ultimately about power and control. If you don't know by now, come to America and visit a few state legislatures where issues of parity regarding the access to the ballot are still in question. Well, maybe it is good that your daughter's brown hue gives her an advantage because the white hue has had the advantage for so much longer before. So, a little Quid pro Quo might not hurt. The game has its ups and down, but maybe some of us are tired of being on the downside of it all of the time.

I do not deny that we have internal issues within  our communities that contribute to our problems but that does not mean that others factors imposed from outside our community will be overlooked and ignored. I won't overlook them.

Been a classic liberal majority of my life. A hippy artist of 50 years living off grid in tiny house villages and building sandcastle and sculptures worldwide. A environmentalists working in all natural materials. Who stood by gays and pot to be legalized, still working on legalization these thing into 80 countries where it's still illegal. Even legalization for urban farming    An agnostic who would not own guns. These new liberals who love the establishment to every dictatorship narrative they demands, like a robot AI kids and zombies pharma surgery and drug plans. What ever happened to good old holistic alternative drugs, sex and rock and roll. New liberal WHO, WEF who support top scammers of Government, banksters and big pharma. New liberal are as opposite of a classic liberal that can possibly be. That harms free speech, escalates racism, turning lesbian and gay against groomer genderism in their pride parades and school porn study classes with drag queen strip shows  The Big Pharma and liberal Government grooming parents against their ultimate rights to their own children. Also genderism who invaded sports and female spaces and change the English language and free speech laws. Along with non biological solid facts or evidence about sex, vaccines, carbonism and natural laws. Not into any left Right, left, Right march of any centroism. I deal with every individual basis first. Let Government run the small stuff, not our entire lives.

1. abwilliams profile image68

Preach! No pun intended.

2. Credence2 profile image78

We have chatted off and on for some time, I know that there has always been a method to your eclectic style.

I stand for equal rights for all and do not resist the legalization of pot.

I am a old liberal that supports the idea that the rule of law and established governance takes priority over the desires of the wealthy and powerful, regardless of the masks they wear.

I support free speech and the free exchange of ideas without censorship.

I am an old liberal who would resist genderism all of which is neither understood nor appreciated by me.

Government is a covenant among people as to how we are to govern ourselves, because it is not going to work if we all think that we can do what we want without considering the rights of others.

Example: Denver had an air polluting problem for a long time, people complained about the county government requiring emissions checks on vehicles registered in the county. Well, we have a common problem with pollution and we all voted for the need to contain the problem, so government facilitates, not controls.

My liberal instincts see Government as an ally rather than an adversary. So, there may be difference at that point.

Capitalism is innately a source of exploitation in the US, I want a leash kept on it and its possible abuses.

Example: we disagree on the RFK Jr. and the East Indian candidate for the GOP nomination for President. This candidate automatically disqualifies himself with me immediately when he speaks of disenfranchising adults under 25, because of some idea about the maturity of such voters. WE have been subject to similar arguments that bigots used to deny our folks the right to vote. I am touchy about this stuff for obvious reasons.

Does that make me a new or old liberal?

"My liberal instincts see Government as an ally rather than an adversary. So, there may be difference at that point."

But you can see the problems in trusting the government to be an ally in this very administration.

8. Willowarbor profile image61

A bad president?

Gosh darn it already when is crazy old Biden going to stop this?

Employers added 336,000 jobs in September, almost double the 170,000 estimated, according to figures released by the Labor Department. Data for August was also revised higher to show 227,000 jobs were created instead of 187,000 previously reported.

Stop the madness.  Doesn't he know people would rather collect unemployment?

The job jump increase was because the country was greatly suffering from unrealistic shutdown of the economy and divide social structures due to vaccines plandemic. Can't fool the people twice, Americans have shutdown most of his new vaccines mandates. That was the first Trojan horse attrack. Now it's fiat currency collapse , genderism and carbonism the mass weaponized world war and of more to come weapons of mass distractions.

2. abwilliams profile image68

Karine Jean-Pierre?
      Are you Willowarbor when not behind the podium? wink

Isn't Karine Jean-Pierre more selective on who she talks to.?

3. Sharlee01 profile image84

Hey, under Joe, better work or starve, and have your utilities turned off. 

US Unemployment Rate (I:USUR) Updated Sep 2023
      US Unemployment Rate is at 3.80%, compared to 3.80% last month and 3.50% last year. 

Seems to be headed in the wrong way.    
      Total unemployed people Sept 2023  6.4 M

Oct  2022 --   Oct 7, 2022 — The number of unemployed persons edged down to 5.8 million in September 2022.

I think we all are feeling the pinch, and hope relief comes soon.

Shar

9. Kathleen Cochran profile image77

You have more than driven home the point - ad nauseum - that being a good person is at the bottom of your list of priorities when it comes to choosing a president.

What the heck is a" good" person?

Is Biden a good person?

2. GA Anderson profile image88
      GA Andersonposted 7 months agoin reply to this

You should use the word 'integrity,' it's less ambiguous and more to the point. It also adds more definition to your 'point.'

GA

the quality of being honest and having strong moral principles; moral uprightnes

I'm putting integrity on my tombstone. And the act of imagination closes to being Godlike and everything that I've ever achieved in life, was all once imagined.

3. Ken Burgess profile image77

Good to see you back GA,

Integrity is an interesting word... something in short supply in DC.

Occasionally I come across a speech by a politician that has it, these are typically from politicians that are soon pariah in DC, or denigrated and cast aside, or silenced all together.

Rare are the politicians like JFK today.  Tulsi Gabbard was one such person who chose integrity over power and political gain, this speech of hers talks of that, and the troubled times of today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh-vyaLJLgE

Seven minutes long and worth the watch, if only to understand how far our political system has fallen, how corrupt and lacking of integrity are those currently steering the Nation's course.

Its not merely that we are lacking a President of integrity, the entire political body inhabiting DC is lacking in such, with too few exceptions.

1. GA Anderson profile image88
          GA Andersonposted 7 months agoin reply to this

I never left Ken, just had a change of perspective about jumping in.

GA

GA

I believe it's wise to step away from the political discussions of today. The reality is that often, we talk past each other without truly listening. Occasionally, we do listen, but it can be challenging to process the information, leaving us feeling disillusioned and regretful for having engaged in the conversation at all.

I realize the thread has strayed from the question. As most do...

However, I would have appreciated hearing your perspective on the dilemma of choosing a president when faced with the "lesser of two evils." It would be interesting to know your thoughts on the question --  "A good person or a bad president - which matters more?"

Shar

I simply recognize that we are all adamant in our respective opinions on these political matters.

Rather than trying to convince, I get the conversation and the debate into the public forum so that many who read but do not post can see the merits or lack thereof of either side of the debate.

In my view, we have witnessed such a dived in our respective opinions on many political matters, and yes both sides remain adamant and steadfast in their beliefs.  Chats are not easy or comfortable grounds to have conversations for some.

~ so the heck what? comfortable to become consciously aware of the truth?
                  Never give up, I say!

Hey, you don't see me shying away.  I am with you!  I guess the "some" that are uncomfortable can sit it out.

It's a very strange question. On one hand, most humans are good individual people, from experience touring the world.  And in agreement with people 95% of the time. It's the 5% can turn into suffering. Where preference is to spend most awaking hours of my life. In the  pleasure business.

With a US president is of a Corporation, meaning a president is not of a country, for example America is under the US Corp. It's disquised a corporation to be a person. Its another secret illusion the vast majority are afraid to confront this truth. I can't live a lie.  To compare a  bad President to a good person. Is like comparing Heaven to Hell. Look at the state of affairs from many countries around the world from horrible greedy munipulator so called leaders .Being an anarchist means nobody is above me or below me. Who knows who is really above a US President other than the financial institutions puppet masters. A bad President would be among the worst people, I could imagine and wouldn't want to know.

Castle

I feel the question is very complicated, like a twisted-up ball of yarn. It is not something anyone wants to tackle. It makes one dig very deep and needs to weigh the pros and cons. Sometimes the scale tips in a way you are not pleased with. Not many were willing to answer the question. I wonder if that is not the bigger question --- why not? Would it give a peak into one's values or one's intelligence or both? I really found the question-provoking.

I agree most humans are good people, and yes we often find common ground and shared values with people from nations other than our own. However, it's also important to acknowledge that there can be points of contention and disagreement, which can sometimes escalate into heated disputes.

Regarding your mention of a US president of a corporation, it seems you're touching on the concept of corporate influence and power in politics. The idea that corporations can wield significant influence in political decision-making is a topic of ongoing debate., and certainly appears the case today. 

Finding a balance between individual rights, corporate interests, and the integrity of democratic systems is a complex challenge. It's essential for society to engage in open conversations and transparent governance to address these concerns and ensure that the interests of the majority are well-represented. Both have broken down. In the US we have no transparency at this time, we have several of our Federal agencies under suspicion of possibly being weaponized by the White House.  The majority of voices are all but silent at this point. We have an administration telling us not to beleive what we see, and believe what we tell you to believe.

Shar

Too many rabbit holes in religion and politics has brought me to too many dead ends, same for centroism. Like playing a game within the matrix game, where is the win/win?.From very complicated situation or questions. It's better off working my universal bubble expanding to greater possibilities. A method of simplify, simplify, simplify until beauty is truth. Taking the good bits in the learning process of an over ego world.

Actually enjoy the challenge of uncommon sense questions like this Shar. Many of my best international art work is from accident or out of the box thinking.  My best guestimate is corporationism is over powering competitiveness with capitalism causing civil society. unrest. There is a huge difference between corporationism and capitalism free trade. That's creating mass hysteria where the mass fails to recognize. The US cavalry is not coming to save us

10. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 7 months ago

A moral person would make an effective president.

A moral/effective president would abide by and follow the boundaries set for the protection of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness for both himself and the citizenry.

1. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 7 months agoin reply to this

For the citizenry first, right?

"A moral/effective president would abide by and follow the boundaries set for the protection of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness for both himself and the citizenry."

"abide by and follow" are the verbs. The noun is "the boundaries which protect life, liberty and pursuit of joy from within."

Following moral precepts and applying them to one's own life and others' lives  e q u a l l y
        is the ideal.

The reason we have a republic with checks and balances is because following moral precepts in general is difficult to realize.

why?
        temptations!

~ Power and money being the top relevant temptations today.~

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)