Going to the Extreme

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (21 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 6 weeks ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/16889166.jpg
    Do you contend that both the Democratic & Republican Parties in America are going towards the extreme in terms of policies?  Do you further believe that both parties are becoming increasingly undemocratic in their stance? Do you believe that it is the Democratic Party that is becoming extreme? Or do you believe that it is the Republican Party that is extreme?  What are your thoughts?

1. Valeant profile image86
      Valeantposted 6 weeks agoin reply to this

Well, let's give one example.  In terms of trying to fix the border, Joe Biden asked congress to create law for him to sign.  The GOP came back with the president has the power to fix the problem.  So, in this instance, one party wants bipartisan solutions and the other wants it done dictatorially. 

In terms of undemocratic, one party's leader tried to overturn an American election.  The act of holding that person accountable for the crimes surrounding that illegality is seen as something undemocratic by his supporters.  I find the view of not wanting someone who clearly committed crimes to be held to account very extreme.

In 2020, many people went to the extreme and wanted to defund the police because of the many killings of innocent people taking place.  Instead of nominating a candidate that supported that extreme position, the Democratic Party nominated the person saying to expand police funding.

Now, before I make this next statement, I want to set the stage where I do not believe social justice protests were affiliated with the Democratic Party.  They were supported by those who believe in humanity and due process under our laws.  Once that is established, just take a look at the violence and violent threats being committed by members representing the views of the two parties.  One party has violently attacked their own Capitol, the country's FBI, and even mailed pipe bombs to the people Donald Trump has targeted.  Most who speak out against Trump now receive death threats.  In this extremism, it's clear which party has gone really extreme.

2. Sharlee01 profile image79
      Sharlee01posted 5 weeks agoin reply to this

Just my view --  In considering the trajectory of both the Democratic and Republican Parties in America, I have observed significant shifts in their policies and stances over the past decade. Neither party seems immune to these changes, with ideologies and values fluctuating or, in some cases, seemingly eroding.

Both parties harbor segments that assert their influence, often challenging the established norms of Washington politics. However, I maintain that democracy persists, albeit in a form that may appear unfamiliar to some. The essence of democracy, being ruled by the people, thus far has endured through our electoral processes where the majority's voice prevails.

Yet, there's a looming question: can this framework withstand the increasing polarization and divergence within the parties? Will these growing disparities lead to a fracture that threatens our democratic foundation?

3. tsmog profile image85
      tsmogposted 5 weeks agoin reply to this

"Do you contend that both the Democratic & Republican Parties in America are going towards the extreme in terms of policies?"

Me: Some policies.

"Do you further believe that both parties are becoming increasingly undemocratic in their stance?"

Me: Not the parties themselves, but factions - yup!

"Do you believe that it is the Democratic Party that is becoming extreme?"

Me: The party itself, Nope! Factions within, yup!

"Or do you believe that it is the Republican Party that is extreme?"

Me: The party itself, Nope! Factions within, yup!

I have no thoughts to share at this time.

1. MizBejabbers profile image89
        MizBejabbersposted 5 weeks agoin reply to this

T: I think you nailed it!

Valeantposted 5 weeks agoin reply to this

I don't know, considering the Republican Party is now very heavily MAGA, and they are forcing out non-MAGA elements of the party, that's pretty extreme.  The left has progressives, but you don't see Democrats wanting to kick them out of the party for being overly progressive.

1. tsmog profile image85

Good observation as I see it. MAGA is a faction (Perhaps dominate) of the Republican party while within MAGA itself is factions. That is seen with those Fox News Voter analyses shared elsewhere.

As an example for the New Hampshire Republican primary or is it a caucus . . .

The question asked is: Generally speaking, do you consider yourself to be a liberal, moderate, or conservative?

** Very liberal - 2%
            ** Somewhat liberal - 6%
            ** Moderate - 34%
            ** Somewhat conservative - 36%
            ** Very conservative - 22%

For New Hampshire Democrat primary or is it caucus

The question asked is: Generally speaking, do you consider yourself to be a liberal, moderate, or conservative?

** Very liberal - 35%
            ** Somewhat liberal - 38%
            ** Moderate - 24%
            ** Somewhat conservative - 2%
            ** Very conservative - 1%

Notice the contrast with 'very':

Very conservative = 22% with Republicans

Very liberal = 35% with Democrats

Not making a conclusion, only an observation.

I would have liked them to ask it as:
              Progressive
              Liberal
              Moderate

and
              MAGA
              Conservative
              Moderate

Would have been more in-line with my point.  And New Hampshire, with not many big cities, is a bit of a 'crunchier' (nature-loving) state.  So, to see more think they are very liberal isn't really a shock.

1. tsmog profile image85

Good point on the nomenclature to use. It is more in alignment with today's political attitudes I would say.

The 2024 Fox News Voter Analysis showed for Iowa, New Hampshire, and South Carolina. I just used the default setting (New Hampshire) as an example.

Here is the link to that voter analysis if curiosity bites.

Fox News 2024 Voter Analysis
                https://www.foxnews.com/elections/2024/ … r-analysis

For the 2022 election cycle the link is:

Fox News 2022 Voter Analysis
                https://www.foxnews.com/elections/2022/ … r-analysis

With that one there is the option to look at nation or by state. You can also look by year - 2022, 2020, and 2018.

Also, take a look at the header choices such as Senate, House, and Governors. Of course, those are old news.

Of course both may not be one's cup of tea. Myself being a data junkie they are playgrounds to occupy an old guy who gets bored watching TV ha-ha wink

For me, Fox News admitting they knowingly lie to their viewers for ratings in a court of law disqualifies them as a reliable source.

1. tsmog profile image85

Okay . . .

2. MizBejabbers profile image89
            MizBejabbersposted 5 weeks agoin reply to this

You have a good point there.

2. Ken Burgess profile image75
    Ken Burgessposted 5 weeks ago

When you consider the current Republican/Trump 'policies and stances' they are not extreme... they are the things that America stood for and/or the things Americans asked for many long decades.

A controlled Border is not a new topic, Americans asked for it in the 90s, 00s, 10s... it is not a new issue.

Its the Economy stupid, is not a new issue, no matter what Democrats say, it is their wanton spending sprees, their replacing American workers with immigrant workers, their green new regulations that raise the costs of power, transportation... I can't wait until we have to pay a Carbon Tax just for breathing.

War... Americans always prefer not to be at war... only an event like 9/11 ever gets it real support.  Biden's war on Russia using Ukraine as a proxy has put all Americans at risk and has also worsened our economy, making trade more difficult and costly globally.

Men in girls bathrooms, locker rooms and sports.

Child mutilation not only supported, but protected by a deranged Biden Administration.

Equity being forced throughout the Federal government and Military, if you do not accept it and the new emphasis on pronouns and Trans acceptance... you are fired.  You accept the new ideological insanity or your career is ruined.

No... there is only one Extremist group in America... unfortunately they control the halls of power in DC and in Main Stream Media, it is the most powerful forcing their ideologies and agendas on the People.

All who want to see it stopped, before the extreme changes they are bringing to America get twice as bad, need to realize Trump is the only alternative... the only chance to counter this extremism.

Is this extreme?
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1768963498577481888
    and
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1768959527255416850

Or?
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1766197345421844874

Or?
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1768693206827569404

Do you really trust Biden or Harris to lead us when facing this?
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1769033617643123112

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 5 weeks ago

Define: "Extreme in terms of policies."
    What would NOT be extreme?
    W h a t  do you think IS Extreme?

EXTREME

?

... compared to that which is not EXTREME?

~ don't make ME the only politically incorrect one in the bunch.

4. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

Im about to say/write something politically incorrect.
    Can you guess what it is?

5. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

"Do you further believe that both parties are becoming increasingly undemocratic in their stance?"

(Synonyms for undemocratic: authoritarian, autocratic, despotic, dictatorial, tyrannic, tyrannical.)

Q. Which party is leaning toward less freedom and more enslavement?
      I would say neither.

There is a nefarious Deep-State influencing a developing/growing "Uni-party."
    What enables the formation of a uniparty?

I would say $$$$ and IGNORANCE.

Please name those in the deep state.  It seems that no one knows who the members of the deep state are.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
        Kathryn L Hillposted 5 weeks agoin reply to this

Oh, they know... but they refuse to say out loud because they will face consequences.

Precisely.  When called out to name this so-called 'deep state,' conspiracy theorists flounder because it's a made-up boogeyman.

6. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

Apparently we are at war.
    They have infiltrated and we are not responding appropriately.

They march through the southern border.
    They win unfair legal battles.
    They buy our land.
    They surveil us.
    They belittle us.
    They dumb us down.
    They empty our coffers

And we just let them.
    So, no we are not winning the war.

When we stop them cold by enforcing the laws, rules and boundaries we have in place, we might have a chance to survive as a democratic republic.
    Which president will say "NO?" and give us back our sovereignty, common sense and decency, our military strength, our peace, prosperity and happiness?

Trump.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)