Evan Bayh Resigns, Declares American Political System "Dysfunctional"

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (35 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

It surprised me a little to hit the Forums this late and not be able to find a thread on Bayh's resignation.  That our political system is dysfunctional is hardly news to the informed voter, but to have a strong Senator pull the plug in sheer disgust...now, that's impressive.

Mr. Bayh is also an equal opportunity finger pointer, making it clear that both sides of the aisle are wallowing in partisan politics and mutual incompetence.  His strongest thought is that We the People need to clean house by voting out ALL incumbents, thereby getting Washington's undivided attention (for a change, speaking of change)...and start over.

He may have a point.

2. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

thanks ghost, im always learning tons in these threads, being canadian and all, appreciate it, cheers

3. profile image0

Back atcha, Lyrics.  Love your current avatar, by the way.

1. profile image0
      lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

thank you, youd da bestest big_smile

4. profile image0

Aw-w-w-w-w... (*pretends to blush furiously*) big_smile

Still no "Bayh backtalk", though...maybe our informed electorate lacketh clues to his identity? lol

5. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Yeah, but it's pols like Bayh who need to stay!

6. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

I would like to know more about this, and as it is American politics, I will naturally listen to the BBC for a clear view! smile

1. rhamson profile image71
      rhamsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Spot on with your observation of mainstream media in America. I like you earnestshub.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image59
        Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I Hate earnesthub mad

He represents all that is evil in the universe.

7. profile image0

Point well taken, Habee.  Maybe if we do clean house, he could be persuaded to give it another shot.  Not likely, but....

Earnest, where Pam and I live, the radio reception is so minimal, we cain't even kick up our heels to the Grand Ole Opry, let alone catch a BBC broadcast.  So you're our investigative reporter on this one for sure; let us know what they're sayin'...big_smile

8. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Ok Ghost, I will keep an ear to the ground so to speak.I hope you and your love are doin OK.

9. profile image0

Thanks, Earnest.  Pam & I are on track, 'specially since we ousted a young fellow who lived with us for just a few weeks.  He was helpful at first, then degenerated into true-color mode, best described as:  A borderline high functioning autistic mentally ill lazy bum stoner...lol

Got the roof on the house, will be adding anti-sun paint for a day or 2 (just till it warms enough here to stucco), then a few other (non-house) projects clamoring for attention, then....

Pammie had one helluva run with psoriasis (stress triggered) but it didn't kill her, so she must be tougher...if that's even possible. big_smile

Glad to see you're Up and At 'Em Down Under.

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the update my friend, I was bought up in the outback here, and always wonder how you two are doing out there. I like isolation too. smile Glad to know you got the darned roof on.... need a roof! lol

10. profile image0

Yup.  A roof (as Martha Stewart might put it) is a GOOD thing!

Special note:  Even though there's not one lick of insulation yet and there are still lots of cracks for air to infiltrate between bags here and there plus between the top-framing boards, the earthbags are already (and quite clearly) doing their job.  That is, they're absorbing heat during the day (thermal mass) and releasing it after dark, thus balancing out temperatures in this desert climate beautifully.

We know this because we finally stuck a thermometer in the house, hung it just about dead center.  Last time I checked, at about 1 a.m. here, my unheated steel storage shed (where I sleep for now) showed 36 degrees Fahrenheit...but the house showed 46 degrees, a full 10 degrees warmer than the shed!

Will have to do a hub on THAT one of these days, but not until more building is done (insulation, stucco, etc.).  I've jokingly said that when this house is done, we'll be able to heat it with a candle and cool it with an ice cube...and y' know, we might come close at that! lol

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is fantastic! I feel this place of yours is gonna be full  of innovation. smile

11. Ralph Deeds profile image65
    Ralph Deedsposted 14 years ago

I never liked Evan Bayh, and now I like him even less because he inconsiderately waited until a few days before the filing deadline for someone else. Par for the course. Evan has always been out for number one.

Ghost, why don't you show us some pictures of your house?

1. profile image0
      Ghost32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ralph, there are oodles of pics (of the house) available in a hub titled "How Build A House Single Handed"...with links to plenty more.  Enjoy!

About the polls:  Maybe FriendlyWord was thinking of Rasmussen?  Scott's polls indicate that Bayh might at least have been in for a tussle in the fall with the outcome impossible to determine ahead of time.  But even Rasumssen doesn't "promise" Bayh would've lost, so....?  big_smile

That wouldn't quite qualify as "every" reliable poll, though...lol

12. Ron Montgomery profile image59
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

Evan Bayh is an outstanding person and the type of legislator that is sorely needed in Washington.  He was twice elected Governor of a strong Republican state; demonstrating a rare talent for bipartisan accomplishment.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65
      Ralph Deedsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

He may be your kind of Democrat but not mine.

More than the shots from Glenn Greenwald (who called Bayh the "perfectly representative face for the rotted Washington establishment") and Matt Yglesias (Bayh was "acting to entrench the culture of narcissism and hypocrisy that's killing the United States Congress"), what really must have gotten to Bayh was the intensely personal tenor of the attacks on Bayh's wife, Susan.

For many years Susan's membership on several major corporate boards (eight of them, in 2008) was something of an open secret. Only over the course of the health care reform debate was it widely spoken about in Indiana. With Bayh playing a prominent role in the haggling over the public option and medical device fees, it was impossible to ignore the fact that WellPoint, a behemoth insurer, was paying Susan Bayh hundreds of thousands of dollars.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/matt-sled … 62736.html

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65

Surely Susan Bayh was named to the corporate boards based on the astute advice and counsel she renders!

2. Ralph Deeds profile image65

Surely Susan Bayh was named to the corporate boards based on the astute advice and counsel she renders!

"Professional director

"An Indiana newspaper listed eight corporations of which Bayh was a director as of 2006 and stated, "Susan Bayh’s position as a director for eight businesses puts her in the league of 'professional directors', a term used to refer to people who sit on multiple corporate boards and are not otherwise employed."[1] Bayh began serving on corporate boards in 1994 and since then she has served on the boards of 14 corporations in the insurance, pharmaceutical, food processing, and other industries."

[From Wikipedia]

13. FitnezzJim profile image77
    FitnezzJimposted 14 years ago

I heard that news, but I thought he had not resigned, that he was simply declining to run for the Senate again.

While it’s good to know that there is a senator that is as disgusted as the rest of us, it does seem somewhat disheartening that a person in such a leadership position would not be able to come up with some method for correcting the problem.  I used to have a boss who would always say, anybody can see problems, the talent is in solving them.  So consider the following:

We have a Senator who has effectively made himself into a lame-duck senator, a senator who is disgusted with partisan politics, and who has essentially declared that he no longer is beholden to whichever party he is from.  Since Senators aren’t supposed to represent any particular party anyway, he’s created for himself an ideal situation.  What if, during the remainder of his term, he simply represented the will of his state legislature and state government?  What if the votes he offered were offered uninfluenced by partisanship or by lobbyists?  Isn’t that Senators are supposed to do anyway?  What if, he went back into the Senate and said “guys and gals? You do know most of us are on the way out anyway, why not do this the way it was intended?”

1. Friendlyword profile image59
      Friendlywordposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The Senator sold out the Democratic Party during the Health Care Debate and he does not have a chance in hell of being reelected by Democrats.  The Republicans dont want him...so he's gone.  Dont keep your hopes up about him finally doing the right thing.  His nose will point to where ever the money is.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image59
        Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Every reputable poll contradicts your assertion that he would not be re-elected.

1. profile image0
          A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ron, friendlyword hates polls, they always counter his claims, its weird!

1. Friendlyword profile image59

Dont read them, dont site them, dont trust them. I have never ever ever never been called by a poll taker. And I think they influence election now instead of predicting them.

2. Friendlyword profile image59

1 down, four to go!  Good Riddance!

14. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

As long as the rich & greedy are the only ones able to participate what should we expect?

15. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

What?? Our politicians are influenced by money? Who knew?!

16. MikeNV profile image67
    MikeNVposted 14 years ago

There is a lot of talk about voting out incumbents.  But this has happened before, and at election time the same people seem to get re elected.  Sure a few drop out, but over all money talks and with the recent supreme court ruling you can expect more of the same.

So while both parties talk their talk the country keep tanking and the debt keeps building.

The people dropping out now are quitters and losers... unwilling to work to fix the mess.

1. Sab Oh profile image54
      Sab Ohposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"There is a lot of talk about voting out incumbents.  But this has happened before, and at election time the same people seem to get re elected. "

Not always. Remember the '94 midterm elections? If you don't remember, don't worry - they will be played out again this November.

1. profile image0

Yup!

17. Ralph Deeds profile image65
    Ralph Deedsposted 14 years ago

Bayh is right on one thing--Congress, especially the Senate is dysfunctional and too driven by special interest money. He is a perfect example of the latter, assuming he's on speaking terms with his wife.

18. Ron Montgomery profile image59
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

Republicans had a sound strategy and Newt Gingrich in 1994. smile

This time they have Sarah Palin and some used teabags. sad

1. profile image0

For Obama and the gang that will be plenty!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)