I was having a read through people's comments on the other thread about smacking your kids and I was thinking about other issues and how people view each.
If you agree with it just say yes....if not then no. If you are undecided just put ?
3 Capital Punishment
4 Smacking your kids
If you want to add more info on why you agree/disagree then please do.
Yes/no answers aren't enough for these issues.
For example, #4, smacking your kids.
Is it always bad? No. Is it always okay? Also no. So a simple yes/no answer just isn't good enough.
1) Abortion: I agree that it should be safe, legal, and incredibly rare. I further think that the best way to reduce the number of abortions is to reduce the number of unintended pregnancies, and that readily available education on human biology and contraception is the best way to go about it. Of course, abstinence from sex is the only 100% guaranteed means of not getting pregnant, and it's important that people know this, but it's not the only thing you can do to reduce your chances.
2) Euthanasia: I agree that is should be legal for a person to end his or her own life by the means he or she chooses at the time he or she chooses. I further think that nobody should ever be coerced one way or the other on this score, and that the act of coercing someone to end (or not to end) their life should be a criminal act.
3) Capital punishment: Once we can be 100% sure (not just beyond a reasonable doubt) that a convicted criminal is really actually guilty (not just legally guilty), then I'll be for it. But I've seen too many reports of DNA evidence exonerating people who were on death row or serving life sentences because they were wrongly convicted. I believe it's better for a guilty person to go free than for an innocent person to be put to death. Until we can be 100% sure, I'm against.
4) Smacking your kids: Generally speaking, I'm against it. I wrote a more nuanced response to this issue in the thread called "to smack or not smack your kids," so if you'd like to read it, please go
For some people yes or no is enough because that is what they believe.
Some people say no to abortion whatever the situation and so a simple no is enough. some people say no to smacking their kids because they believe any form of physical discipline is unacceptable and a no would therefore be sufficient.
Thanks for contributing. I will read your comments in the other thread.
Thanks for asking.....
I am undecided on the last one (as I mentioned in the other thread) because I think it depends on the situation and on the child. Plus I don't have any kids of my own yet and so any decision I make now could change once I have kids.
I'm off for a lecture now but I will be back in an hour to see what people have said.
Thanks to all who contribute.....with honesty.
Very complex issues to reduce to simple yes or no answers, with the only avenue for contingent circumstance railroaded into the "?" category as if one hasn't put much thought into it.
Yes the issues are complex and rarely have simple yes/no answers in reality but some people are very sure of how they feel and so yes/no answer is enough and for those who don't know or are stuck in the middle then ? is enough for this forum and you can give reasons for your answers to explain how you feel.
1. Yes, up to a point. First trimester only.
3. No. I'd add that I would say "Yes" for "uncontroverted proof of seriously violent acts," like when the rape of a child is caught on tape and the criminal confesses and there is absolutely no possibility of error. But, because it is NOT possible to be 100% accurate, I have to say "no." Too many innocent people have been and will be put to death.
4. No. "Smacking" implies more than just a whack to the hand to keep a child from touching a hot stove, or a whack to the butt for ignoring my plea to not run out into the street. There are limits.
1. no - except for in rare circumstances
4. no - a pop on the hand or butt is okay, especially when they're doing something dangerous
3 Capital Punishment-no
4 Smacking your kids-no
1. Abortion.. It's a personal choice, don't judge one until you
have walked in their shoes.
2. Euthanasia.. When I no longer have a quality life, I feel I
should have the choice to live or not live.
3. Capital Punishment.. I am against it, having worked for State
Corrections.. It's an automatic appeal when the death
penalty is ajudicated, amounting to millions of dollars.
It's more cost effective to give a sentence of natural
4. Spanking a child is fine!! Within limits. The laws have
taken the rights away from parents to discipline.
Children are told in school to report parental
abuse. Children use that against parents, threatening to
call the police. Back to 3.. We would have less persons
in prisons if parents were allowed to use the paddling
stick more often.
by Jenny Pugh2 years ago
There are so many labels and descriptions attached to the word LOVE; there is the so-called "love at first sight", "love develops", "first love never dies", "unconditional love",...
by Jacqueline7 years ago
OK so I need a few opinions either way to help me out with another English essay I'm working on.So what is it to be....smack your kids or not? I'm not talking about beating them black and blue to make that clear, just...
by Josak3 years ago
Some thoughts:No campaign contributions allowed all campaigns are funded by a tiny flat tax every party receives a given amount to publicize their views so long as they can get say 50 000 party members. Yearly full IRS...
by SparklingJewel7 years ago
regardless of where one stands on the abortion issue...how could any American citizen stand for allowing their tax dollars or be forced in their work ethic to be used for something that is against their deepest...
by Holle Abee7 years ago
Fromm CNN and Maureen Dowd:http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/08/17/ … tml?hpt=C2
by Tim Lajoie21 months ago
Trump is not a conservative...so what? His positions have changed over the years...so what? My parents were liberals and became conservatives who voted for Ronald Reagan. People hold views that change...
Copyright © 2017 HubPages Inc. and respective owners.
Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners.
HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc.