Should the lifestyle of 3 murdered woman be highlighted so much?

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (95 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Precious Williamsposted 13 years ago

In 'NewsWatch' today with Raymond Snoddy, a woman (I didn't catch her name) was complaining about the reporting of the brutal murder of three woman brutally in Bradford.  She thought that it was unfair to keep highlighting that they had worked as prostitutes.  It's something I've also been uncomfortable with. Every report goes Susan... who worked as a prositute.  Why should it be necessary to keep mentioning it?  What do you think?

1. tony0724 profile image61
      tony0724posted 13 years agoin reply to this

It Is absolutely fair. Their behavior is relevant to the story

1. Ohma profile image59
        Ohmaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ok was the motive behind the murders the fact that they were prostitutes? Because that is the only way it could be relevant.

Reporting is about telling all the facts that are associated with the story. To not tell that segment of the story is to not give all the facts. Yes they were victims. But it is still an Important segment of the story.They would probably reiterate that they were waitresses if that was their job.

2. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What does their behavior have to do with it? When reporting to the general public?

Was she killed because she was a prostitute? If not, then what she did for work would be completely irrelevant. Unless, the purpose of media was to inflame the religious folk into actions that they need not get involved in.

Even if she was killed because of being a prostitute, it would be more relevant to focus on the individual who killed her than the what the dead person did for work. Don't you think?

cagsil generally mainstream media likes to inflame the non religious folk. And the reason they report that is because people who kill in multiples generally have a profile. And the  victims here and their chosen profession are part of that profile , therefore it is relevant to the story. Because as I said before not to report it is to not get the whole story. Which we rarely get from the media anyway.

1. Cagsil profile image71

That couldn't be further than the truth than you would ever believe. Approximately, 80% of America is religious in some faith or another. So, please.
            And, YOU are missing the point. hmm

No Im not.

Actually you are. TOO MUCH focus on the victim and not enough focus on the killer.

But, no you're not missing the point. roll

The report itself is biased to the job she was doing and not the actually killer. That is the point.

I do not care that they mention what she did, but it is NOT the focus of the damn story. Got it!

Gary Ridgway the Green river killer had 48 and more then likely more victims , many were prostitutes . Now is that relevant to the story ?

Again, you're focusing on the WRONG thing.

WOW! roll

2. Ohma profile image59
                    Ohmaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Only if they were killed for being prostitutes.
                    this is clearly a shameless attempt by the media to shift the focus away from the relevant story which in this case was the murder.
                    Being a prostitute is illegal in the US I do not have enough info about the UK to know if the same applies there but I do know that murder is illegal. The simple truth is the murderer in this case was probably some wack job nobody with no sensational tale to tell and the media is dishing trash about the victims to boost their own ratings at the expense of the poor families of these victims.

2. SaiKit profile image67
                  SaiKitposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"Too much focus on the victim, and not on the killer." Reasonable.

2. donnadavis profile image59
      donnadavisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree. It is worth mentioning once only for the social value of helping young women realize the risks of the profession. To keep mentioning to me comes across as judgmental with the understood, she knew the risks so she somehow deserved what happen or sensationalism.

3. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Some people think that the victims asked for it.

If they wanted to die..they wouldn't be out there working to survive.

It doesn't matter if you walk around naked, no one has the right to rape or kill you.

1. profile image0
        Precious Williamsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Deborah, I couldn't agree with you more.  The moment we start saying they 'asked for it', we start losing our humanity.

1. profile image0
          Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I disagree.
          The moment people start saying there are no rules and behaving and dressing (or lack of dressing) like animals, that's when we lose our humanity.

I had a friend request on Facebook; on the person's profile she has shared the information that she and her hubby are nudists.    While I'm glad she was honest, I suppose, at the same time I can't figure out her reasoning for sharing that.  Needless to say, I didn't confirm that "friendship";  I'm not interested in getting involved in her/their fetishes, even via impersonal internet;  and associating with that would be a step toward condoning that foolishness.

1. profile image0

Hi Brenda, I can't figure your friends reasoning either, but if they were practising this in public I still wouldn't believe that they deserved to be raped or murdered.

1. profile image0

What do you think they would deserve?

A warning from the police?   I think so.
              Being hauled off to jail?   Yes, if they didn't put some clothes on!  Isn't that the basic rules we now have in effect?
              So....as people keep pushing the envelope and rebelling against those basic rules, we become more "progressive", more "tolerant", more apt to be forced to question the original common-sense rules and more apt to be pressured to change those rules at that radical pressure.
              To condone and legalize prostitution would have that effect eventually.  Rules aren't made to be broken.  They're made in order to protect each person's safety and rights within the groundwork of those basic rules.   When the basic rules start being broken and that wrong being legalized, they start to infringe upon other people's rights.

That's what is happening in America right now.  Pressure from those who don't want to abide by rules are trying to change the rules to fit their own desires, while infringing upon the basic rights of others.

1. profile image0

Rules are to be followed?
                What about these rules you are suppose to follow. You say you believe in the Bible

What about love and compassion?

2. profile image0

Man, talk about the lack of love.
            That's not Christ like in my opinion

How can you condone crime???!!!

Oh that's right. Once someone "says" they "believe"
            then they are allowed to do anything and still go to heaven.

1. profile image0

Umm....condoning public nudity and/or prostitution IS condoning crime.  Is that what you do, condone those things?  How can you do that?

1. profile image0

I'm talking about a CRIME.
                I am not condoning anything except the right to not be raped or murdered.
                You are comparing rape to nudity? They are equal?

And remember, I don't hold the same doctrine as Paul.

Nudity doesn't show hate or the lack of love. Rape does

2. profile image0

Kill, no.
        Rape?  Depends.  I can't imagine any good reason that someone would put it out there for unhindered viewing unless they were offering their body to whoever sees it.   I'm talking about ADULTS here, not children!
        I certainly know that if a naked person was intruding into everyone's space by running around naked in PUBLIC, then anyone should have the right to make them go away or put some clothes on.
        That's the thing about "freedom" especially freedom to pursue "happiness" that gets all twisted way outta bounds.....one person's "happiness" isn't legitimate if it intrudes on another person's VALID pursuit of "happiness".

1. profile image0

There are a lot of naturalist. Nudist.

That doesn't mean they are inviting rape or death. No one has the right to rape. Rape means take it by force. And if someone is taken by force they didn't consent.
          Remember Adam and Eve had no clothes.

I can't imagine someone who has the "LOVE" of God feeling rape is OK just because someone isn't wearing clothes

Being naked may say "yes" to people seeing their body, but that's all.

1. profile image0

Saying yes is permission.
            Common sense tells us to not run around naked in front of other people besides one's spouse.

1. profile image0

It is not!
              People do not have a right to rape.

2. kirstenblog profile image79
              kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't want to get into this one to much but this comment begs a comment. Nudity does not mean yes. If you offer me a chocolate chip cookie and a glass of milk should I strip off to say yes?

A person may well run around starkers due to a mental break or for some other reason, you my dear have no heart or ability for compassion for your fellow human being who is less fortunate then you!

3. IzzyM profile image87
        IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Agree with you 100% there Deborah!
        NO-ONE deserves to be raped or murdered no matter what they do, and prostitutes ahould be afforded the same protection in Law as every other worker, woman or not.
        Prostitution should be legalised or at least decriminalised in order to offer them protective services.
        When I was driving taxis those young girls (and they were nearly all young) used to asked me to look out for them when their 'John' took them to an apartment. They were scared stiff half of them. There should be a safe place they could work out of, instead of being on the streets and ending up alone with sometimes several men at once.

1. profile image0

True
          I'm not sure how people think that the victim is to blame.

1. profile image0

IzzyM wrote:
            Izzy wrote:

Agree with you 100% there Deborah!
            NO-ONE deserves to be raped or murdered no matter what they do, and prostitutes ahould be afforded the same protection in Law as every other worker, woman or not.
            Prostitution should be legalised or at least decriminalised in order to offer them protective services.
            When I was driving taxis those young girls (and they were nearly all young) used to asked me to look out for them when their 'John' took them to an apartment. They were scared stiff half of them. There should be a safe place they could work out of, instead of being on the streets and ending up alone with sometimes several men at once.

Deborah wrote:

True
            I'm not sure how people think that the victim is to blame.

Well....why not turn them in to the authorities or point them to a shelter, especially since they were young girls, so that they could get pulled out of the prostitution ring altogether!?  And hopefully the pimp or ringleader over them get prosecuted!?  Isn't that the right thing, instead of trying to watch over them while they engaged in prostitution?

Same old story Brenda. roll

1. profile image0

Cagsil,

If you had a daughter mixed-up in prostitution, wouldn't YOU pull her out of it?  Instead of telling her oh hey you be careful when you're with those johns now, ya hear?!

4. manlypoetryman profile image81
      manlypoetrymanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah...Good Point. Why doesn't the Media say "alleged" prostitutes...like they do for suspects...or the "would-be" murderer! Everyone is so very careful for the rights of the criminal...but surely not afraid to describe every last detail of the victim. hmm Man...That's Whack! sad

2. FranyaBlue profile image73
    FranyaBlueposted 13 years ago

This was exactly what I thought when I watched some of the reports on it. It seemed like they were mentioning the word prostitute too much.

1. profile image0

Yes I think it diminishes them.  One report mentioned how one of them had been in a long term relationship as if that was odd.  Terrible for the families to find their loved ones are relegated to only being described by their work and not the fact that they were mothers, daughters, sister etc.

1. FranyaBlue profile image73
        FranyaBlueposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, it's like they were saying that because they were prostitutes it didn't matter too much. I feel sorry for the families too, it just makes it worse for them.

Also, there doesn't seem to have been as much coverage of this one compared with the Suffolk murders.

3. Ohma profile image59
    Ohmaposted 13 years ago

Although I do not know the story that you are talking about here in the states such things happen by the media in an attempt to shift the blame from the assailant to the victim.
    ie: she would not have been murdered if she was not a prostitute. It happens more frequently in rape cases than murder but it is all the same. some people have to believe that crime victims must have done something to cause the actions of the assailant. They have to believe this to continue living in their "it will never happen to me" bubble.

1. FranyaBlue profile image73
      FranyaBlueposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Maybe it is an attempt to scare other women away from prostitution.

And, I see it as a suppression tactic against a woman's right. wink

2. profile image0

It's a disturbing trend isn't it?  You would have thought that in this day and age the media would be more neutral in their reporting.  No one but no one, whatever their job deserves to be murdered, and they certainly weren't 'asking for it'.  It's odd isn't it - if a miner is killed whilst doing their job no one would think they deserved it - it would just be rightly seen as a tragedy.  However, around the world recently there have been a lot of miners killed in different explosions (some allegedly because of criminal negligence) but no one would dream of implying that it is their fault for deciding to crawl around dark tunnels in the bowels of the earth.

4. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Media continues to distort truth for it's own agenda.

5. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

yea it's not right - the media sensationalizes everything. I don't read the newspaper anymore...don't know what is true or false or misinterpreted.   they seem like to point out all kinds of things to draw attention.  I sometimes speak to the media in relation to my job - hate doing it - so I usually prepare a handout of info for them because I know they'll screw up something....

6. aware profile image67
    awareposted 13 years ago

occupational hazards

1. kerryg profile image83
      kerrygposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is, but it also becomes kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy, don't you think?

Serial killers know that prostitutes are among the most vulnerable members of society and that, often, nobody comes looking for them if they go missing, and nobody cares if they are found dead. Unless the murder is unusually brutal or strange in some way, nobody will be clamoring for it to get solved, and soon enough, police resources will get diverted to some more "pressing" case, leaving the killer free to strike again.

If upstanding citizens cared as much about prostitutes and homeless and other members of society's most vulnerable classes as we do about ourselves, it would be a lot harder for serial killers to get away with their crimes.

1. profile image0

Prostitutes are vulnerable, you said?
        How so?
        I'd say they're more predatory than helpless.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
          Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What world are you living in?

Awww...those poor Johns...and the guys who are forced to murder prostitutes...they are the real victims.

1. profile image0
            EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Any minute now someone will come along and say that it's all their mothers' fault, for potty training them too early or some such b******s.

Whatever happened to people being responsible for their own actions?

2. profile image0

I don't have to ask what world you're living in.  YOU live in a liberal-minded world that says nothing is wrong as long as it feels good or makes money for the doer.
            Prostitutes are....listen up!----prostitutes.   They prostitute themselves and don't care if they become part of the homewrecking process.   Sure, the "johns" are also responsible.  But that doesn't take away the responsibility of the prostitute either.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79

This is why it should be legal, safer for everyone involved.

7. Polly C profile image90
    Polly Cposted 13 years ago

Well, I think the fact that the women were prostitutes is very relevant to the case, and therefore reporting this fact is necessary. Basically, the killer's whole profile does rest on this fact, and that is not in anyway being prejudiced against the women victims, but just an important aspect of the case.

Someone who murders prostitutes is probably someone who has been seen hanging around red light districts before. Sometimes, only by investigating this underground world can evidence be uncovered as generally these women like to keep themselves to themselves and are nervous of authorities for many reasons.

The psychology of the murderer is possibly someone who likes to control women, and sees prostitutes as an easy target.

Just as in the case of the Suffolk murders, the fact that prostitutes were being targeted as victims means that it is a key point of the entire case. I, personally, do not think things like this are necessarily being reported in a demeaning manner. I will admit that I haven't watched a lot of coverage of the Bradford cases, but saw a lot about the Suffolk murders (my sister does actually live in Ipswich where it happened and I only live one hour away).  I feel truly sorry for all the victims and their families, but I agree with Tony  - facts are facts.

8. MickS profile image61
    MickSposted 13 years ago

well, when a bank manager is killed, or a school teacher, or, well whatever, the media bang on about their jobs, what makes prostitutes immune?

9. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

Well, prostitutes have existed since before Biblical times. They are not going away any time soon.

Sounds like you are saying they deserve what they get.

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
      Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Christians are most unforgiving!  Unless of course, it is their own sins being discussed.  Then they think theirs are worthy of forgiveness, but not those they judge harshly.  Hypocrites to the end!  Thank goodness they've told me I'm going to hell.  I was going to volunteer anyway rather than spend eternity hearing their nonsense in their idea of heaven!

2. profile image0

Only those who willingly prostitute themselves.
      Those who (especially underage girls) who are at the mercy of pimps or kidnappers, etc., need help to get out of the situation.

1. Doug Hughes profile image61
        Doug Hughesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like Brenda is a convert of the ide of legalization and regulation to protect women. Bravo, Brenda - sanity - where I least expected it.

1. profile image0

If you're suggesting that I'm for legalizing prostitution, think again.

No, but I am.

1. profile image0

I suppose you're all for letting the man's "contribution" and the prostitute's "social work" be tax-deductible too?

1. IzzyM profile image87

Absolutely, it should be taxed. Everything else in the public service industry is.

2. Cagsil profile image71

As long as the woman treats it like a business and nothing else. I do not see a problem with it. There are a lot of single women and plenty of single men.

I'm not the one looking for the service, so it doesn't apply to me and nor am I a woman. Also, I am not married, so that's not a problem either.

However, if a man could control himself within the guidelines of his life, then he will have no need for the services of those women. If he strays, it is his own fault and not the women, regardless. The "CHOICE" is his to make to stray.

If a woman wants to get into that sort of business, then she is deal with the consequences of her actions also. Which, could result in her death. Yes, awareness of the danger is already out there, but if you give a woman that sort of freedom, they will most likely opt to take it.

For some, it might be better than what they are doing now and could live a better form of lifestyle, without getting hurt or killed. Many prostitutes are killed because of prostitution rings and those who operate them. Prostitution rings should be outlawed, but an individual person can be a prostitute without having to belong to a ring or bossman.

10. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61

...looked at the original post again.  don't know what the news said but if all 3 women were sex trade workers, it's important for people to know there may be a serial killer on the loose;  On the other hand ...if they were all sex trade workers, I'm not sure how fast and furious the investigation will go.  In Canada, we had a monster killing women (some sex trade workers - some just troubled and very vulnerable women); I don't know exactly but it was more than 30 women (the investigation outcome still didn't determine how many) - and finally after quite some time (many years) the investigation sped up and Pickton was charged and convicted but I think there should be 1 or 2 more people convicted in the case; some may recall the Pickton Pig Farm.  There is also someone else roaming a lonely stretch of highway in BC, Canada, killing women, but I don't feel there is enough investigative work happening to find out who the serial killer is - many of the women being targetted and killed are First Nation.  These killings don't seem to make the headlines; nor did the killing of women in the Pickton case even though it went on for years.

11. Doug Hughes profile image61
    Doug Hughesposted 13 years ago

If you ignore the nonsense - dellusion - halucination - that prostitutes are predatory homewreckers *sigh* - the rational threads of the discussion are these two.

1) Is the reporting of the lifestyle that may have led to their murder appropriate?

2) Does the danger of that lifestyle suggest that a rational society would legalize and require levels of security and medical care for women in the profession?

To the first question - the facts are germane to the story, even if they add to the grief for the families. I conceed that most publications will exploit the sex angle of the murders to sell more papers. But I still find yellow journalism less offensive than censorship.

To the second question - the record of legal brothels in Nevada speaks for itself. No spread of disease - because of testing and precautions. No violence or exploitation of women against their will - because of security.  Guaranteed medical care for women. It's amazing that only one state in the Union has the sense to embrace the reality (sex happens) and provide the precautions and safeguards that only legalization can offer.

12. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

I didn't see this thread before (missed it with being offline for a few days), but Brenda I really can't believe you called prostitutes homewreckers!
    It is MEN that want their services. If MEN learned to control themselves and stay home with the missus instead of prowling the streets looking for a pro, these girls would be out of work.
    They are really just social workers providing a service. big_smile

1. profile image0

Both the man and the prostitute are homewreckers in the case of the man being married. I agree that men should control themselves!  But so should the women.

Social workers???!!!! oh hahhaaa
      Are you suggesting that men are so stupid that they don't realize they could service themselves much more economically than paying for a prostitute??  In which case, those benevolent prostitutes are really pulling quite a scam on those poor helpless men, huh?  tongue

1. IzzyM profile image87

Nope, they are only providing a service, which they get paid for. And yes they are social workers in a way because if men are desperate enough to pay a stranger for sex, what would they do if the stranger wasn't there. Rape the wife?
        The prostitute doesn't even know if the man is married unless he tells her. She is not interested in that anyway. She doesn't have the NEED - only the man has that (so she doesn't need to 'control' herself). She just wants paid for her service.

13. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 13 years ago

Aww come ON!  You guys make it sound like women have no feelings, no sexual feelings especially, and no responsibility;  and that men are animals instead of individuals with choice and responsibility!

14. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

I believe the prostitute emotionally detaches herself from her work. Much as her cllient only sees his own physical gratification and not HER.

15. profile image0

So...
    are you tellin' me that if your husband (I dunno if you're even married or not; just putting a scenario out there)..if he used the "services" of a prostitute, you wouldn't blame her as well as your husband?    Remember, not all prostitutes are young girls in desperate need of money; some are just greedy.   ..Well, honestly, I think most of them are just greedy anyway, either greedy for money when in fact there's all kinds of shelters and help for obtaining legitimate income and housing, etc....or greedy for the power they feel they have over both men AND those men's wives or girlfriends if they have them.

1. IzzyM profile image87

I would hold no blame to her whatsoever. She is only doing her job. But HIM!! I'd kill him!

16. profile image0

And...I think the sex act is such an intimate thing no matter what, that it must be impossible to totally "detach" one's self from that anyway.

17. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61

I posted this on another thread

just to add my 2 cents.  I've worked around many sex trade workers.  i think gov't should legalize it primarily to keep women safe and provide whatever supports are necessary to help those who want out, to get out.  many are in the trade because of how harsh life as been to them not because they truly want to sell their bodies and put their life, body and emotions at risk.  I'm not sure of what the % is for those women who made a clear and informed decision to sell their bodies - I doubt if it is very high.

1. profile image0

Think about the far-reaching consequences of that.

...In divorce court, is the wife gonna have the right to claim that her husband cheated on her if it was a prostitute he was with?   Or is she stuck with him not being responsible for the breakup of their marriage?  If they have money or property together, will HER rights to part of that property be denied because the husband can claim he was engaging in the services of a "social worker"?

Or vice versa too.
      I'm sure there are male prostitutes too, who aren't gay, etc., but are there to perform for the "needs" of a woman.  Male gigilos or whatever they'd be termed....So is the husband gonna be stuck with not being able to hold his cheating wife to account?

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
        SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years agoin reply to this

of course not - guess it depends on divorce laws where you are - in Canada, the reasons for divorce are adultery or living apart for one year with no explanation needed.  Adultery is adultery no matter who someone stepped out of the marriage (or living arrangement) with - proving it is another matter unless both parties agree. 

I'm just talking about why many women resort to the sex trade - not about why Johns pay and/or the result of the Johns' decision/actions.

18. profile image0

Adam and Eve were the only two people on earth at the time!  LOL
    That's not quite comparable to the discussion here.

19. profile image0

So...you think it's okay for a person (man or woman) to run around naked in public, but to be offended when another person is tempted by that?

Edit-----that was to Deborah.

1. IzzyM profile image87

Temptation is a quite different thing to giving in to temptation.

1. profile image0

I agree!

So...what should be done about the woman or man who keeps running around in public naked?   Parallel that to the question of what should be done about blatantly prostituting onesself.

2. profile image0

No matter what another person does, we are to be in control of our own lusts.

Rape is not OK.

20. Alison Graham profile image94
    Alison Grahamposted 13 years ago

I have read all the comments with interest - a great debate!  I feel that the media are wrong to state that the women were prostitutes at every opportunity, they are also someone's sister, daughter, mother, friend.  I think we should be concentrating on the man who is alleged to have murdered them who gave his name in court as 'The Crossbow Cannibal' - no-one, whoever, (or whatever) they are deserves to die like those poor women.

21. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 13 years ago

Brenda, if a child runs outside naked, is it OK for her or him to be raped?
    Isn't she asking for it? Most children know people don't run around nude.

1. profile image0

No of course a child doesn't deserve to be raped!  I believe I already stated in an earlier post that I'm talking about ADULTS.  Surely you didn't conveniently overlook that??!

I just know that ADULTS shouldn't put themselves in a position where they're knowingly and deliberately putting temptation in someone else's face.    We were talking about nudity.  And no, I don't mean people at swimming pools with bikinis on and etc.!   I mean people who think they have the right to break normal rules of conduct in society.   Willing, adult, prostitution fits that too.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79

Maybe all women should wear a Hajib, just in case the men are tempted...

22. Anesidora profile image61
    Anesidoraposted 13 years ago

Maybe they're trying to get the warning out to other prostitutes that a prostitute killer is on the loose.

1. Lisa HW profile image61
      Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's the thing.   Just as there are serial killers who target, say, college girls; there are killers who target prostitutes.  Not long ago, in Massachusetts, we had "the Craigslist Killer", who targeted escorts from the Internet.  It's relevant because people who are at risk of being targeted should know about.  It's relevant, too, because sometimes someone who's not among the apparent target group may be able to feel a little less concerned.

Whether anyone likes to admit it or not, there are some jobs (and prostitution is one of them) that are more likely to attract freakos, and a high number of freakos usually means a higher percentage of potential killers among them.

I think seeing "demeaning" in using the word in reports is in the eye of the beholder.   (Years ago the Boston Strangler killed nurses.  That was mentioned all the time - still is when people talk about it.)

23. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 13 years ago

Some people hate prostitutes because they are afraid of them.
    In reality it is because they "Fear" their husband or boyfriend will be tempted. It is a lack of trust.

If your husband wants another woman, he'll find one, prostitute or not.

1. lucieanne profile image69
      lucieanneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's just been on the news here that the killer has tried to hang himself and he has been taken to hospital for treatment. Now this is what angers me. If the guy has killed three women (regardless of what they do for a living) why go to the lengths of saving his life? Is it just because they believe it's a cop-out by him and they want their glory day in court? The guy's a killer -whoever he killed he's a killer! He doesn't deserve to live. Let the scumbag die. As for rape victims and naturalists deserving to be raped, does that mean if I came to your home and you had a lovely family heirloom on display I could take it just because it was on display? People will never agree on the prostitution issues - this argument has been going on since biblical times. They will always be classed as immoral by religious people and called 'dirty' by anyone else who has an opinion, but at the end of the day if they can't find a job in a cafe or shop or hospital or anywhere else and they've got kids to feed, then I dont blame them for doing it. If they're doing it to feed a drug habit then they clearly need help to get off the drugs.There are far too many issues to consider before anyone can cast a judgement, but they certainly didn't deserve to die. I don't think the media are deliberately trying to show these women in a bad light, all three of the women WERE prostitutes, so obviously that was the reason why they were killed, but it doesn't justify it. They do it with everyone, what about 'missing chef' Claudia Lawrence? They always mention her occupation when they report on her.

1. profile image0

I agree with everything.

24. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

to understand the killer, it helps to know his target, his triggers. knowing the girl's profession, her lifestyle, would certainly help to understand the killer and his pattern.

Gavin de Beckers's book, The Gift of Fear, is an excellent study into the lives of violent killers and what is behind their motives. if you've never read his books, I highly recommend them.
    here's an older interview with him.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwGS7Jmd00c

1. pinkboxer profile image61
      pinkboxerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The same happened in my state. Eight women involved in prostitution and drug abuse were viciously murdered over the past several years by one who is now considered a serial killer. Focus was initially placed on the lifestyles of the women by local law enforcement and the media. Finally, national focus, now by the FBI, is on a serial killer who is believed to live in that city. Unfortunately, the female victims were blamed for too long. Now the entire city is being held hostage.

25. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

the married men who use them, why? what is lacking from their relationships? prostitutes are not just used for their sexual performance.

I think media repeats facts throughout the story to bring attention to it in case people missed the beginning of a story, or clearly to make a point. sometimes it's hard to hear, I agree.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)