Is this the beginning of balkanization in the United States?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (41 posts)
  1. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

The village of Kiryas Joel wants you to dress moderately when you visit their Hassidic village.  Dress moderately means long skirts or pants, covered necklines and sleeves past the elbows -- even in 90 degree weather.  In addition they want you to maintain gender separation in the public areas.  There are no consequences if you don't follow the guidelines but there is public disapproval, should you comply?

1. qwark profile image61
      qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It wont happen but say it does...would you adapt or head for the "woods?"

Flightkeeperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What do you mean it won't happen, the village exists and there's a sign.  Google Kiryas Joel.

1. qwark profile image61
          qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

flight:   your question is it the beginning of it happening all over rhe USA. A little village in the "city" means nuthin.'
          My answer remains the same.

2. weholdthesetruths profile image60
      weholdthesetruthsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This isn't "balkanization" in any form.   While I happen to disagree with them, I know many places that request certain dress and behavior standards of both patrons and visitors.    There's certainly NOTHING wrong with asking people to respect their sensibilities.   

They also understand they have no right to demand it of you.   The question that's most relelvant is:   Are you respectful of their request, or do you hold your fellow Americans in such contempt that you'd prefer to offend, rather than accommodate?

3. profile image56
      C.J. Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think this can illustrate the broader point that COMMUNITIES can and do define social norms. You could move right in, never conform, but you NEVER be a member of the community. In any community or group, if you INSIST on being different you will be TREATED differently. Its basic human nature.

Would I comply? Probably not, I'd stroll through town wearing only an oppossum?LOL

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Hey Flightkeeper,

You're saying that there is a village, with regards to what you are saying, within in the confines of the U.S. borders?

If so, and the only consequence is public disapproval, then no I do no comply. I prefer to be comfortable in the clothes I choose to wear. wink

3. Doug Hughes profile image60
    Doug Hughesposted 13 years ago

Hassidic Jews have their customs.  The Amish have theirs. Mormons have theirs. If you are an invited guest to a home or community, it's customary to adopt thier ways. "When in Rome.."

If I can't accept the customs of my host, I politely decline the invitation. The same rules apply to a tourist without a specific invitation, to know and  try to conform to local mores. Or don't go. It's easy to be unfamiliar with customs and, a sincere, 'I'm sorry, but I didn't know.' is usually accepted.

The question becomes thorny when the 'community' is very large - say Salt Lake City and newcomers are not guests - they are going to be permanent residents. But that's hardly the case in Kiryas Joel.

Oh you decline huh?  Yet you're okay with a mosque being built near Ground Zero where the majority of the locals don't want them to build there.  That's pretty hypocritical.

1. Doug Hughes profile image60
        Doug Hughesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Your post makes no sense. Been taking lessons from Captain America?

If you look at the Quinnipac poll closely, you find your statement, 'majjority of the locals  don't want them to build..' is FALSE.  Looking at LOCALS, Manhatten residents, that is, 46% are in favor and only 36% are opposed.

But that's not really an issue because Freedom of Religion is a protected right of the minority, which the founders deliberately pur beyond the reach of the majority.  It doesn't matter WHAT the majpoity thinks about  the location of a church.

This is totally different from following the customs of a home or small community - whether it means covering your head or taking off your shoes.

Helloooo! It wasn't only Manhattan residents that were killed, it was the tri-state area and nice try restricting it to Manhattan residents who are largely leftists.  The majority of New York City resident - 70% are against the mosque.  But your answers only tell me that hypocrisy rings loud and clear with leftists.

So now you support Freedom of Religion but only for certain populations like the Hassids and the Muslims, yet you seem to not give the same courtesy to Christians from previous posts.  Hypocrisy loud and clear.  Thanks Doug.

Give me ONE example where I have extended ANY less courtesy to Christians than any other religion. I ONLY  advocate EQUAL rights and an EQUAL application of the law.

And that's not good enough for a lot of Christians.

Your application of equality is relative depending on what group is the majority.  You don't want Christmas pageants in schools, but the majority does how is that equal?  You want to enlarge the definition of marriage to include same sex but the majority doesn't define it that way yet you want to force the majority to change the definition, how is that equal?

I love the idea of a Christamas pagent - as a child I was in many - but I attended a Catholic school. It has no place in a Public non-denominational school. If the kids who attend public scholl want to be in a Christmas pagent, they should have their CHURCH organize one.

I am married - to a woman. If my neighbor is gay and marries a man, it doesn't change MY commitment to my spouse. Their relationship does not diminish MY relationship.  It would be intrusive for the government to say you MUST marry to someone of the same gender, but I don't think that has been proposed, not even in California.

The government has no say on who gets married. The Supreme Court already struck down the miscegenation laws because it goes against the equal rights amendment.  It is churches that marry and define it as the joining of a man and woman and sanction that joining.  The government's function was to recognize what it considers one of the most traditional contracts.  What gay activists want is to put marriage under government purview, why?  It seems to me they want to take that sanction away from churches so that they can force churches to marry gay people even though it is against their belief. In my opinion, it's really an animosity against Christianity.  I would say you share that animosity.

1. Michael Willis profile image68
                    Michael Willisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What about Justice of The Peace? This is not a Church function and is recognized by the Government as a legal Marriage? The Government does have a say in Marriage when Federal or State Laws say who can and can't marry!
                    Let Churches choose who they want to marry, Government has no say in this  I agree. That is the right of a Church.

Edit: Churches want Separation of Church and State when the Government tells them what to do, but...Churches want the Government to tell Everyone  they have to do what the Church wants them to do! 
                    See the problem!

2. Pcunix profile image91
                    Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, the court struck down those miscegenation laws, just as they eventually will strike down the laws that prevent gays from marrying.

If the function of the state here is to "recognize what it considers one of the most traditional contracts", how do you account for Justices of the Peace?

Nobody will "force churches to marry gay people".   Churches are always free to deny you the use of their facilities.   

What this will "force" is rights, rights that people just like you wanted to deny to interracial couples no so very many years ago.

2. profile image0
            PrettyPantherposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You seem to be trying to create controversy where none exists.  When one of my relatives invited me to attend a Christmas Eve service at their church a few years ago, I asked her advice about what to wear.  Why?  Because I wanted to be respectful of the people there.  I could've worn my usual jeans and sweater and I'm sure some church members would have disapproved but I wouldn't have been turned away.  However, I chose to try not offend anyone.  It was my choice; not a requirement.

This has nothing to do with religious freedom; like gamergirl said, they are simply alerting potential visitors to local custom. I don't see anything sinister in that.

Who said there was anything sinister?  I'm saying what if there are all these different communities that have these local customs what are you going to do then?

1. profile image0

You do whatever you want to do.  There are no consequences, remember?

There are no legal consequences but it's like a black person walking into a white area and made to feel uncomfortable.  Is that right?

2. Doug Hughes profile image60

The Amish, the Hassidic Jews, and the Mormans have frequently had their own communities. It's not new. And it's not surprising that they don't like to be treated like animals in a zoo, with people gawking and taking pictures while dressed in ways that they (the people who built that community) find offensive.

In this case they are asking for courtesy in exchange, a small request in my book.

Well if it's okay with you it should be okay with everyone right?

Cheers.

4. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

Yet you CAN enter the village.  The residents allow it. If they did not, you could likely make suit against them.

That's obvious but you would still face their public disapproval making you uncomfortable if you're not dressed up to their standard.  Do you think it's right that they should make you feel uncomfortable in public when you're not breaking any laws?

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
        Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

They are doing it to preserve their traditions, not too make you feel something.
        How you feel is up to you.
        I agree it doesn't seem very "friendly", but here's no law that requires people to be friendly.  And, no, I don't think they will take over America.

2. Pcunix profile image91
        Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Freedom.

I don't like thst conservatives are here at HubPages.  I disapprove.

I don't like religious belief.  I disapprove.

Yet in both cases I would stand with you against anyone who said you could not be here or have your religious beliefs.  I wonder if you can understand that?

Why the heck would they want you to stand with them if you disapprove of them?  That's not tolerance.  You're just saying that because you want the same rule to apply to yourself and has nothing to do with tolerance.  You're fooling yourself.

3. profile image0

No one can make you feel uncomfortable.  Your feelings are your own.

To answer your question, I would not go to great lengths to cover up just to please the community but I also would not knowingly enter wearing a tank top.  I would make an effort not to be overly offensive to the community at large, but only within the parameters of my own typical attire.

Of course they can make you feel uncomfortable, that's what public pressure is about and there are very few who can go against it.  Why do you think people get up set whey they see someone praying?

1. profile image0

No one can force you to have a particular feeling.  If you feel uncomfortable, it is because of your own state of mind with regard to the situation.  Of course, there are certain situations where the vast majority of people would understandably feel uncomfortable.  Still, your feelings are your own and cannot be controlled by anyone else.

Really?  So when a black woman doesn't feel beautiful because the standard of beauty is white, she should just shrug it off?

1. profile image0

Do you really want to argue this point?  Where did I say anything about "shrugging off" your feelings?

You said that no one can make you feel uncomfortable.  I'm saying that not everyone is has that strong of a personality to go against local public norms, so my question is why should a small community force a standard on members of the larger community?

1. profile image0

You're right.  Not everyone has that strong of a personality.  But that applies to any public norm.  It is not illegal to walk around in public with a shaved head and "I'm an idiot" tattooed on your bald scalp, but you'd probably get some disapproving stares.  I'm betting you'd get those disapproving stares where you live right now.

I really don't get what you're so uptight about.

5. gamergirl profile image86
    gamergirlposted 13 years ago

They offer choices, and alert potential visitors to local custom.  It's amazing!

My answer would be very much like PrettyPanther.  I am a t-shirt and jeans type of person, and knowing the local custom, I would remain comfortable while doing my best not to thumb my nose at the natives.

6. anonimuzz profile image59
    anonimuzzposted 13 years ago

The fact that someone wouldn't comply to the dress code doesn't mean that they want the community to lose their personal rights. Just like supporting the building of the mosque doesn't mean you actually share their beliefs or that you'll visit it as soon as it's done. So I don't know why it shocks you that some hubbers said that they would not dress like others wanted them to.

7. gamergirl profile image86
    gamergirlposted 13 years ago

Naughty troll is naughty.

Honestly, there are no efforts to divide people into hostility present beyond the OP.  I'm not sure through what logical loophole we ended up talking about gay marriage when we started on the wearing of modest clothing in cultural locations where modest clothing is the norm, but then again, it IS the Politics forum.

Whee.

8. Jeff Berndt profile image73
    Jeff Berndtposted 13 years ago

If I were simply passing through, I would make no accommodations. I'm not visiting the area, I'm just going from point A to point B, and this is the quickest way. I'll be gone before you can be offended by my well-turned calves. If you don't want to see my very fine muscular arms and legs, don't look at me when I'm jogging past.

If I were going to hang out in the village as a tourist for the day? I'll make reasonable accommodations. I happen to have a linen shirt and trousers that look snappy and are very comfortable, even in high heat and humidity. There's no point in deliberately pissing people off. It's not like I live there and they're trying to make me change my life to suit the neighbors.

If I were apartment shopping, I probably wouldn't buy one there.

Then again, if I got a sweet deal on a place in the village, I might take it. At that point, my position would be, "Look, I live here too. I'm not exactly flaunting my body, so if you don't like the way I dress, don't dress that way, and don't look at me. I'm not telling you how to dress, am I?"

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)