The DREAM Act:

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (21 posts)
  1. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

What do you guys think about the DREAM Act? I think we need a pathway for law-abiding illegals to become citizens, but I don't think that part of this act is fair. From everything I read, illegal aliens won't have to pay out-of-state tuition, while legal citizens from another state WILL have to pay the extra tuition. This just doesn't seem right to me.

1. profile image56
      C.J. Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The Dream Act represents another broken promise. Republicans have already tried amnesty. It failed. We were promised at the time that this was a one time deal. That it would not be done again.

2. couturepopcafe profile image61
      couturepopcafeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't agree with the D.R.E.A.M. Act.  It may encourage more illegaIs.  The act requires illegal high school graduates to attend a four year college for at least two years.  So not only are taxpayers paying for their high school education but now they will pay for their college education.  Nice country, America.  My grandparents came here legally.  I don't get anything free.  I also think the requirement for 8 years of military duty should come out.

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
        Patty Inglish, MSposted 13 years agoin reply to this

While the act seems to want to force illegals to become more educated in order to contribute to US society, I don't think it will work in many cases. Is it worth the expense overall for the individuals it does lift up and our country with them? It might, if one of these immigrants develops a cure for a type of muscular dystrophy not yet treatable, or similar.

A large part of my ancestry is from a sizeable Mohawk sector not recognized federally or at state-level, so they are paid no related minority or other benefits whatever, while other native nations do so. It made no difference to me, since I've always made my own way; but I think I'd like to see the remaining nations and bands that are seeking such recognition have it before we help the illegals with free education. 

Requiring 8 years military duty sounds harsh, and almost as if we are amassing a force of illegal expendables to send to war. I don't like that omen and hope I am wrong.

3. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol

2. Petra Vlah profile image61
    Petra Vlahposted 13 years ago

Helping immigrants to integrate into the American society makes sense to me. It will be an initial investment, but in the long run it will pay off

1. couturepopcafe profile image61
      couturepopcafeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Helping immigrants integrate absolutely makes sense.  I'm all for it.  I guess I just don't want to pay for it.  I believe people should show their desire and willingness first to obey codified law in any country, then seek help with anything they need.  If there is law in place to gain help, it should be for the benefit of everyone.  Keep in mind, their parents gained illegal entry.  I'm still stuck on why they are being educated at taxpayer expense.  Surely someone knows they are not citizens.  Am I missing something?

3. JR White profile image60
    JR Whiteposted 13 years ago

What are "law-abiding illegals"?

1. profile image56

there is a contradiction there.....

2. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Illegal aliens who don't commit crimes - other than sneaking into the country! lol. I wasn't sure how else to say it. For those who are involved in crimes once they get here, they should be deported.

3. profile image56

You know, now that I think of it. I don't think there is a statute under which someone can be "charged" for being here illegally. Obviously you can deport them. I guess in some ways the term "Undocumented" fits, technically.

I think it's obvious we have a HUGE problem. I would rather spend the "DREAM ACT" money on a HUGE FREAKING WALL! A wall thats lined with soldiers. What ever it takes to stop this unchecked flow of humanity. Once we STOP the flow we can decide what to do with those here. That way if we decide some or all need to go back, we can do so with assurance they wont just sneak back across.

4. Ron Montgomery profile image60
      Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

People who, like the majority of us, have committed a petty crime or two, but nothing that rises to the level where they should be labeled "criminals". 

For those who parrot the "they're illegal, period" line, perhaps you shouldn't live in a country whose founding fathers all committed capital offenses against the legal government of the time.

1. profile image56

When you use that logic, especially in defense of MEXICO....it seems like faulty logic. In fact one could say that Mexico is simply doing what they have always done...invade.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60
          Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You seem to be confused on the subject.  Mexico is not invading the U.S., although the U.S. has invaded Mexico on several occasions.

1. profile image56

So, Mexico is inhabited by NATIVE MEXICANS? Exclusively? No, not confused. You keep making references to how America came to be. I'm simply stating that the Spanish peoples are just as culpible.

4. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

They're illegal send them home already.  They already got a free public education through high school.

5. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

http://www.examiner.com/county-politica … ration-law

If this goes through (which, given enough support from the vast right-wing money machine it very well could), we would certainly be sending a MIXED SIGNAL to illegal immigrants here in CA.

So like, will we be saying, "Get the hell out. But don't go away uneducated, please, get a college degree before you go back to Mexico!" 

I'm sorry. I live in CA. This whole issue is a smokescreen designed to rile people's xenophobic blood. First it was gay marriage. Now this.
    How about jobs and healthcare for Americans????

6. mikelong profile image62
    mikelongposted 13 years ago

I wholeheartedly support the DREAM Act......

For those who keep throwing around the "those illegals" term...just remember, if you have broken a law, you can be called "illegal" too....

Going back to the Act, I have a friend (several actually...but I'll focus on this one for now)...who was brought into this country when her mother illegally entered...

My friend was only a couple of years old...

Her mother, over time, married (and divorced) an American...(the guy was a real jerk)...which means that she received papers, but her daughter did not...

Her daughter (my friend) was raised here....not in Mexico... She went to school here, Mexico is a foreign nation in her book...

She has in the past couple years graduated from both community college and a very respectable four year university with a bachelors degree in English Literature....she now works in the health care industry...

As opposed to the "illegals sucking tax dollars" lunacy that so many people brandy about, she is a highly productive member of our society....

She is among the many undocumented students whom I have met over the past 6 years....and these men and women are puruing education, and are earning their degrees.... 

As opposed to the statement above mine here that this bill would try to "force illegals to become educated"....they want education...they are being educated, and one day they wish to use their degrees for a higher purpose....  Why should we deny people who are going to serve our nation....

While at the same time, if a prospective immigrant has a pile of cash...they can get the fast-track "documentation" process...

Why should we continue this farce...of preferentially taking those who have wealth over those that don't...especially when it is American policies, political and corporate, that have spawned the poverty to begin with?

The reality of being undocumented is a lot different than the generalizations that the "anti-illegal" crowd ever choose to recognize....

If one want to discuss "illegal" why don't we look at the illegal wars, from the Mexican-American War, to the Spanish-American War...to the proxy wars in El Salvador....the coups carried out in Honduras and Guatemala (even in this past year and a half)..that have brought refugees northward....

Why don't we discuss the illegal sweatshops here in the United States...where Thia women (among others) are brought into the county to make products for Guess, J.C. Pennies, Macy's, and so many other of our fine retail establishments (who don't do anything "illegal".....right?)...

The people who chant "rah rah those illegals" are typically the people who know the least about how undocumented men and women are being abused...and are, in my experience, also typically directly and indirectly benefiting from the work undocumented people do...without even taking the time to realize it...

The DREAM Act is a big step in the right direction......

7. Michael Buchman profile image60
    Michael Buchmanposted 13 years ago

"Law abiding illegal," now there is any oxymoron.

We currently have a path of citizenship that many have used to enter our country for decades. It works.

No one will argue, however, that it requires reform.  It should not take seven years to complete transition plus we should have a better system for those who simply want to periodically work in our system then return home.

We also have a system in place for those seeking political asylum from oppressive countries.

Don't be fooled.  Those attempting to bypass our system are doing so illegally. I've worked throughout Central and South America and I can assure you that these same individuals would be immediately deported if not imprisoned.

There are two driving factors for pushing immediate reform:
    1) Mexico depends upon this income to sustain their corrupt economy and 2) increased voter base to support the progressive agenda. 

Those currently in this country illegally should be arrested and deported.  All immigration should be temporarily halted, our borders secured and policy reformed BEFORE we consider any further BENEFITS that we have to pay for.

Most countries require those seeking Citizenship to have sufficient funds to sustain themselves for six to twelve months.  Most countries do not offer them immediate citizenship, free benefits and education.  Why do we feel we must be different?

8. mikelong profile image62
    mikelongposted 13 years ago

Backward thinking strikes again......

9. ray medeiros profile image60
    ray medeirosposted 13 years ago

I think we are trying to cover the cough rather than cure the cold.

We need to start holding companies accountable for hiring these people.  These illegals are coming here to work and send the money back home. 

Let's make it harder for them to find work by punishing the employers who facilitate them.

A heavy fine of 20-50k an illlegal.  If it bankrupts a company, so be it...they weren't hiring American workers anyway.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)