jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (17 posts)

BIG GOP Donors Jump on the Same Sex Marriage Bandwagon

1. Ralph Deeds profile image75
    Ralph Deedsposted 6 years ago

As gay rights advocates intensify their campaign to legalize same-sex marriage in New York, the bulk of their money is coming from an unexpected source: a group of conservative financiers and wealthy donors to the Republican Party, most of whom are known for bankrolling right-leaning candidates and causes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/14/nyreg … amp;st=cse

1. DannyMaio profile image56
      DannyMaioposted 6 years agoin reply to this

that paper if so full of $hit! I live in NY and everyone laughs! keep believing nonsense Ralph! Like I said post actual Facts! not rubbish!

Ralph Deedsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

My you are a "truther" through and through. Did you even read the article? What in it did you find not factual?

And when you say whatever Fox says is untrue, that is different? Everyone know the NYtimes is a joke.

2. John Holden profile image60
        John Holdenposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Try it yourself Danny.

I have John, You do not! You just post your usual one liner to divert attention away from the facts.

1. John Holden profile image60
            John Holdenposted 6 years agoin reply to this

There is no merit in taking 500 words to say what can be said in ten.
            I read the article that Ralph posted and could see no nonsense in it nor any reason for nonsense.

3. hottopics profile image56
        hottopicsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Danny,

That article is not wrong. First why report about donations that anyone can check on to se if they are true or not. While I would like to think that the Repubs have changed their minds about gay marriage,  The Repubs want to win the next election cycle. So despite being a Repub who was always in favor of gay marriage when the rest was not, I have to question if it is a true shift or an election move.

I do not know, I would say a election move if I was to bet. My Response to Ralphy Boy was that I do not trust the NY times! That paper is the biggest joke and the numbers are close to nothing! Smart people are waking up to this nonsense. I would not even waste time to read an article from them.

1. hottopics profile image56
            hottopicsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I agree. I was born and grew up in NY. I stopped reading the Times when I was a teenager. It always seemed the stories were not true

2. Ralph Deeds profile image75
    Ralph Deedsposted 6 years ago

"Everyone know the NYtimes is a joke."

The NY Times is far from perfect, but informed people consider it the American newspaper of record. I wouldn't say that "whatever Fox News says is untrue," but I do think the late Glenn Beck is out of touch with reality and that Hannity regularly stretches the truth way out of shape.

If you don't believe that some rich GOP donors are supporting the repeal of DOMA why don't you check the NYTimes report out? Your reply is a "joke."

Here are the names of the donors who support same sex marriage mentioned in the article:

Paul Singer
    Steven Cohen
    Michael Bloomberg
    John Feinblatt (Bloomberg policy adviser)
    Clifford Assness
    Ken Mehlman
    Daniel Loeb

The 8 track use to be the great way to listen to music, NOT anymore! The NY times Is garbage.

Glenn Beck is still around and going to be even bigger! mark my words! He was on at 5pm eastern, not the greatest time and still had 4X better numbers than CNN and MSNBC in primetime! Is he out there? I always thought he was, But have you really checked out most of the things this man has predicted and said? Unbelievably he is so right on on many things it truly is scary! I thought he was crazy...real crazy but I have an open mind and actually checked what he says and did my own investigating and everything was for the most part 110% true! and his predictions especially with the middle east is right on! I can guarantee you can not dispute that in anyway possible! just from January he has been so dam on the money it really is scary. Hannity definitely leans RIGHT! Oreilly is pretty fair I must say, and G. van sustren is very fair also. I call it the way I see it.

Ralph Deedsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Why am I not surprised that Danny is a Glenn Beck lover?

Not a lover, Just find it very interesting. Like I said, I thought he was nuts but he does speak the truth! I can guarantee you can't prove it is wrong, I tried very hard. He does say some far out there things at times and too righteous for me, But mostly everything he says is right on.

3. John Holden profile image60
    John Holdenposted 6 years ago

110%! I've told you a million times not to exaggerate Danny.

4. Moderndayslave profile image60
    Moderndayslaveposted 6 years ago

Glenn Beck is a drama queen, Hannity is a cry baby, O'reilly is a bully, because when he starts to lose he gets loud and since it's his show, guess who get's more air time. BTW,look at O'reilly and his guests when, - You -  watch because they are looking at something at their left or right,most likely ,The Script. Greta is just doing her job,she is a smart woman.Stop relying on them for information,if you want to get lied to ,get married.

5. secularist10 profile image87
    secularist10posted 6 years ago

I think gay marriage is basically inevitable in the US. The polls show that Americans in general have become steadily less homophobic and more open to civil unions and gay marriage over the years. There are a number of Republicans who support it, and it is growing.

The article mentions the economic potential of legalizing gay marriage, which is a great point. Just imagine Manhattan gays getting married to each other--talk about an economic boom! If you thought female brides-to-be were spendthrift drama queens, just multiply that by two! Flower companies, photographers, car companies, venues, wedding planners, therapists--the list goes on of the industries that stand to benefit.

Not to mention the boon to divorce lawyers.

working