Are Evangelicals Christians?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (69 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Texasbetaposted 12 years ago

I stumbled through my mind onto a curious thought: Are Evangelicals actually Christians? It appears to me that they are in fact a new version of Christianity, that accepts the personage of Jesus, but ignores his teachings in favor of Old Testament thought.
    If one accepts Jesus, the single covenant the he said eliminated the Mosaic covenant, then the taking care of the poor, meek shall inherit the earth, get slapped so you turn the other cheek, etc...would be the mindset. Instead, in the post Frank Schaeffer/Fallwell/Robertson era, they appear to covet the laws of the Old Testament rather than the new Testament.
    Christianity by name, in the United States, appears to have been hijacked by a megachurch crowd who claims to be Christian, but ignores what actually separates it, except for this concept of Jesus that doesn't seem to have anything to do with anything attributed to the actual guy.
    Thoughts?

1. profile image0
      Muldanianmanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I couldn't agree more.  The evangelicals are very much 'eye for an eye' people rather than 'turning the other cheek.'  I personally do not believe that if Christ were walking the Earth today that he would recognise this form of Christianity. The anger some of these evangelicals direct towards those that do not share their views does not reflect the peace of the Jesus of the Bible.   No matter what they practise, if they have  not love in their hearts for their fellow man, then they are not following Christ's teachings or example. Trying to get them to recognise this though is almost impossible.

1. Doug Hughes profile image60
        Doug Hughesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"... [A] short time elapsed after the death of the great reformer of the Jewish religion, before his principles were departed from by those who professed to be his special servants, and perverted into an engine for enslaving mankind, and aggrandising their oppressors in Church and State; that the purest system of morals ever before preached to man, has been adulterated and sophisticated by artificial constructions, into a mere contrivance to filch wealth and power to themselves; that rational men not being able to swallow their impious heresies, in order to force them down their throats, they raise the hue and cry of infidelity, while themselves are the greatest obstacles to the advancement of the real doctrines of Jesus, and do in fact constitute the real Anti-Christ."

--Thomas Jefferson, to Samuel Kercheval, 1810 (see Positive Atheism's Historical section)

1. profile image0

"they raise the hue and cry of infidelity, while themselves are the greatest obstacles to the advancement of the real doctrines of Jesus"

How true and coincidental that I have just been watching a discussion which mentioned the fact that for centuries the Church burnt people at the stake for reading the Bible in their own language.  Far from wanting to spread the message of Christ, the Church has throughout its history tried to keep it from the masses, because they would realise that the teachings of Christ are not those of the Church.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image63
        Ralph Deedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Amen! The non-evangelicals tend to be more rational and tolerant--eg, Unitarians, Quakers, Church of Christ, Episcopalians.

2. IntimatEvolution profile image69
      IntimatEvolutionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not very many truly are....  This is my humble opinion.

3. Vladimir Uhri profile image60
      Vladimir Uhriposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Actually it is not up to me to judge anyone. Only I can judge myself. I must love others it is Mater's wish. There is no one who is without fault. This is why Jesus (Yeshua) died. Christians and rest depend upon grace and trying to do best. We prayed for great revival and now people are unhappy of Mega-churches. But I forgive them. 
      Only the fact is man has to be justified and God give him pardon. This is about all. We must go to streets and pray for our country.

4. Mighty Mom profile image76
      Mighty Momposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, all I know is that MY Christianity -- which is the ORIGINAL AND STILL BESTEST ONE -- believes in both Old Testament and New Testament. smile.

Seriously, TB, you raise an excellent point.
      There is a lovely song I remember from my childhood...
      "...and they'll know we are Christians by our love, by our love, yes they'll know we are Christians by our love."

That is Jesus talking right there.

The "Christians" you're asking about remind me of another lovely song from my childhood:
      "... you've lost that loving feeling, whoa that loving feeling. You've lost that loving feeling, now it's gone, gone, gone..."

smile

1. profile image0
        Motown2Chitownposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well said, well said, dear sister!  big_smile

5. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 12 years agoin reply to this

we are so far from  the Truth of what the Man actually said. If at all...

Most of it now is watered down to fit the money church, large population, big donations. Most is alterd to fit the money influence, nothing more.

no bank for the buck.  Most are caught in a delimina between the contradictions of the O.T. and the N.T. and can not consile the two parts.

from what I have seen in the southern U.S.A. Most evangelicals, are caught up in the Law, and not to much in the Grace. The Mega Churches preach the Grace.  The argument goes on and on, no solutions, no reral acceptance of each other.  so who knows?

6. lizzieBoo profile image60
      lizzieBooposted 12 years agoin reply to this

A Christian is one who believes in the divinity of Christ.
      Jahovah's witnesses don't which means they're not Christian, for example. Evangelicals sometimes get the emphasis wrong.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
        Eaglekiwiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thats true ,I used to -get it wrong,but I try to focus on the loving part smile for everyone, black ,white ,pink an blue ,short ,fat ,in between ,Christian ,Atheist, Muslim.

Everyone.

Thats the part that makes me sad about many religions ,they make it quite clear they would prefer you be like them,to be part of their great big family...honestly some of these people look so miserable ,unhappy and downright mean ,who would want to be part of that family wink

7. Ralph Deeds profile image63
      Ralph Deedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"It appears to me that they are in fact a new version of Christianity, that accepts the personage of Jesus, but ignores his teachings in favor of Old Testament thought."

That's a good point. Moreover, they don't strike me as tolerant as was Jesus.

2. jacharless profile image75
    jacharlessposted 12 years ago

A true Evangelist adheres to the teachings, but does not idolize/worship the man or the works, but walks as the righteous of the OT did, by and only in [rational] faith.

The OT contains so much exemplification of how-to do faith, we cannot ignore it altogether, in favor of a handful of Correspondences (Letters) between some of the believing.

The true purpose of evangelism is to peacefully and gently inform the world of the Good News - Salvation has come (see also John's  Revelation of Immanu El concerning this), uplift people, express the fullness of the Spirit and edify the collective (to not just think or know of Creator, but to understand and do according to what Creator purposed man -live life eternally and abundantly, thanks to the sacrifice of Immanu El). True Evangelists should not seek out nor prophecy of darkness, in any manner whatsoever, as they are not prophets. They are supposed to be beacons of light, joy, truth and more, teaching all good things.

Tex, I hope that clarifies.
    James.

1. wilderness profile image93
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Rational faith?  The most common concept here seems to be that whatever the speaker believes in rational; all other beliefs are irrational and the believer is probably not a "true" christian.

On the other had, I have never heard a rational belief in the honest sense of the word.  All belief is based on desire and want rather on verifiable evidence and as a result cannot be considered to be truly rational.

1. jacharless profile image75
        jacharlessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

A common concept applies to religion as equally as it does mashed potatoes and silicone chips. Rational faith is quite an all together different animal. Rational faith requires, if not demands, a thoroughness from point A to point B, unwavering in the original vision.

For example, Peter jumping out of the boat, to most is called faith -and most would call that irrational. and it would be, except for the dialogue preceding and understanding of events.

Rational faith dismisses standard Reason, where ration occurs, and dictates practical logic, exemplified by that understanding.

Perhaps theology and science need a overhaul.

James.

Or perhaps language does.  The term rational faith is an oxymoron as without reason there can be no rationality and we are in agreement that faith dismisses standard reason.

Plainly a difference in definition.

2. Eaglekiwi profile image74

..You gotta Hallelujah from me smile

Filled with the Spirit-Holy Spirit

To blessed to be stressed.

To annointed to be disappointed.

Ok Im showing off ,Im ok really wink

Show it off!
        big_smile

-hey thanks smile

It is so good to give thanks ,laugh out loud, love likes its you last day on earth ,dance like no ones watching etc smile

Umm, I can't dance --with or without and audience. lol
            But everything else, I'm in!
            big_smile
            James.

Grabs James by the hand -lets twist again ,like we did last summer -oops wrong party lol

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee dawgies.

Now square dancing I can do, or free style spinning big_smile

1. lizzieBoo profile image60
                  lizzieBooposted 12 years agoin reply to this

: ) ha ha!

Kewl, another dancing partner.

"Swing your PartnerS, do-sa-do." big_smile

2. Eaglekiwi profile image74

Ut oh a spinner lol aint it good to be alive! smile

3. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

This is very confusing. Evangelicals only? I have actually read the New Testament and, I have to say, I don't see much in  the way of what I've read in the gospels reflected in any of Christianity.

1. profile image0

This is very true, but I think it is the evangelicals who shout the loudest, so get the most publicity.

1. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

True, there is a lot of shouting, but I'm not at all sure I understand what, exactly, is an evangelical. Don't they all evangelize?

1. Druid Dude profile image59
          Druid Dudeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

masses. evangelicals try to reach a mass audience.

1. profile image0

So, their interpretation isn't what makes them different from the rest of Christianity; just their method of delivering the message?

Smile for the cameras!

They used to go from town to town with a huge tent setup. Jesus on tour.

1. profile image0

Gotcha.  I'd heard of tent revivals, but didn't realize that's what the people who went were called.

2. profile image0
              Motown2Chitownposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Emile, there is actually a branch of Protestant Christianity that has become known as "Evangelical."  They are primarily Baptists, Pentecostals, Non-Denominational Christians.  Within that group are First Baptists, Southern Baptists, Missionary Baptists, Church of God in Christ, Church of Jesus Christ...There are lots of them...but within Christianity as a whole, these are the folks who are generally recognized as "Evangelicals."

2. Mighty Mom profile image76
            Mighty Momposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What? I thought only Catholics had masses?
            lol lol

2. profile image0

No, the Church of England don't evangelise, but they do make a lovely cup of tea, and are never short of a Victoria sponge finger.

4. Evan G Rogers profile image59
    Evan G Rogersposted 12 years ago

I think that "evangelism" is by definition just the action of going out and professing what you believe in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evangelism

So, one can be an Atheist Evangelist.

Either way, whatever their religion, they're annoying.

1. Vladimir Uhri profile image60

Flesh cannot understand spirit. So you who are skeptic you are excused. Love yea all. Evangelium is good news. It means God already solved problem of sin of unbelief.

Vlad, I disagree slightly in this statement only:  The human brain can understand spirit, if it returns to its rightful place, as a mechanic to filter spirit to body, and not the assumedmaster-mond of the human being. The resurrected Immanu El is the first example of this.

And, yes, true evangelism is good news, a message explaining the problem has been solved and now how-to understand the new way of existing.

This is where most modern Christianity is divided from true evangelism because of excessive doctrinal imposition and incorrect teaching.

James.

1. Vladimir Uhri profile image60

Jacharless. Thanks for response. I do understand the man is a trinity. He is spirit has the soul and lives in the body. The spirit is alike heat of the man the center. The soul would have headquarter in the head.
          It is good help in teaching the Bible for many decades.
          All problem of the world is spiritual problem. The mind (the soul) just fallows who is the boss. It fallows either  reborn spirit or the flesh. The soul is the servant.  The soul - thinking may be troublemaker.  Eve was reasoning with Serpent and was deceived.

1. profile image0
            Texasbetaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You know, something always annoyed me about that Eve story. The fruit was eaten gaining knowledge of one's self, eating from the tree of knowledge, expelled as to not eat from the tree of life. Now, what kind of a God considers it a sin to gain knowledge of one's self? Sounds like a bad guy to me.

It was never the tree that was the problem ,it was a lesson in obediance (or not) as was the case wink

Tex, she gained knowledge of good v evil. In essence, she indulged her own brain, which already had superior understanding. Note how the mental conversation went, how her indulgence of her own thoughts made her doubt who she really was.

Simply said: "Don't partake of the thoughts in yourself, because they are designed to process things, not give you power or more understanding. Their purpose is to keep you above nature, as keeper of it." When anyone indulges themselves, the outcome is always the same -death.

I visualized this event as a super-over the top bombardment of millions of light frequencies in her and Adam. In essence, they went mad! Having never experienced that kind of rush of information.

Adam's reaction puts the nail in the coffin: I am unclothed, removed, beside myself. Creator asks who told him this and he was like "umm...the woman made me do it... lol That was literally the best he could say. He was stoned on information. Like trying to get information from someone hopped up on drugs or knocked senseless (or nowadays, people locked into their blackberries or video games. Constant information overload.

(if any Floyd fans are reading this reply, they'll appreciate this: Adam became comfortably numb).

James

1. profile image0

Gotcha. I tend to think of knowledge as a good thing, particularly knowledge of good and evil. Why would a God prevent someone from eating from such a tree? Also, why does he refer to "us" as in : "And the LORD God said: 'Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil; and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever."
                I'll be forward...the God of the Old Testament appears, from my perspective, to be a horrible figure, resembling more of what we perceive as a "devil" as opposed to a "God." Am I off base? i don't just mean this, I mean the bashing of babies against rocks, genocide, ripping children out of pregnant women in front of their fathers, taking young girls as captives and raping them under his direction, etc.

1. profile image0

You appear to have a good base from which you are responding, so that is why I am asking for your opinion, not to attack it or anything.

Tex, one of the major issues with OT is the verbiage. It is rather expressive, glamorous and sometimes scary. But as we know, powerful words are prescribed to get peoples attention. In addition, translating history, passion and prose often is challenging and can sound aloof -especially from Aramaic to Hebrew, then Greek and Roman; then Roman to Germanic Latin.

also, noted: much of the atrocities attributed to God in the OT (meaning what was threatened) never came to pass. It was just that, a threat.

The other atrocities caused by several wars in OT, I can only attribute to human behavior. Also noted is how many times God was not pleased with the Hebrew people's actions toward other people of their own kind and other tribes.

James.

1. Evolution Guy profile image58
                    Evolution Guyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And you said you weren't religious. lol

How many were killed in the flood? LOLOLOLOLOLOL

2. Vladimir Uhri profile image60

James, evil is everywhere. God is merciful. Do you think that Crusaders, Catholics inquisition, Hitler and communists were better? Why do you hate Jew? Do you hate Jesus too? Hate is devils tool.

2. Evan G Rogers profile image59
        Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

... good job on judging me for defining a word...

... yeah... that was ... impressive....

2. Jeff Berndt profile image73
      Jeff Berndtposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"So, one can be an Atheist Evangelist.

Either way, whatever their religion, they're annoying."
      Can I get an AMEN!? smile

1. Evan G Rogers profile image59
        Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

AMEN!!!

5. profile image53
    Ldwarrior1posted 12 years ago

Just for information, if a person believes in Jesus Christ in the New Testament, then they should believe in Jeheovah of the Old Testament who revealed the Law to Moses, because the Jeheovah of the Old Testament, who at that time did not have a body of flesh and bones, but was a spirit only, thought he was one of the Godhead.  In the meridian of time, Jeheovah came to earth to suffer for the sins of ALL men and was known as Jesus Christ.  The first to be risen from the dead and receive his immortal body, made it possible for ALL of us to be Resurrected to an immortal state.  All from Adam to whoever the last man will be.  Because of that he made it possible that everyone of us will stand before Him at Judgement.

1. profile image0

Was that before Jack went up the beanstalk?

Yes, and before Snow White was revived but after Rapunzel let down her hair.  Got it?

lol

You tell 'em

6. recommend1 profile image61
    recommend1posted 12 years ago

Of course they are not christians - it is absolutely crystal clear that the point of the two books is that the new testament is the new way that turns away from the old ways.  As they follow the old testament still then they are the opposite of christians and have already been damned.

7. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 12 years ago

The Old Testament predicted the coming of Christ-and lived under Old Testament laws ,with prophets and Kings.

The New Testament explains the arrival of the Saviour , a King above all Kings ,and the fulfillment of prophency.

Jesus Christ superseded and upheld the 10 Commandments,spoke against the Pharisees and Sadducees who lorded  self-religiously over the people).

Though they walked and worshiped in ornate and holy temples ,Jesus admonished them saying their hearts were like white washed sepulchres (tombs) on the inside. Much like ,many of todays oppressive religious churches no doubt. Set up for man not Christ.

To evangelise is to spread the word of Christ, not with hate or anger or judgement!!!

God emphasises that above ALL else the greatest commandmant is Love.

Another important point to remember is we should be able to tell Christians (actually this rule applies to anyone) by their fruit!!

Another words ,not by what they say ,but by what they do!

Love is an action word baby...smile

1. Woman Of Courage profile image62
      Woman Of Courageposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Amen. big_smile

Eaglekiwi I do like your comment. Gospel (evangelium) is good news.

Thankyou smile

8. Jeff Berndt profile image73
    Jeff Berndtposted 12 years ago

Meh. There are probably no more (and no fewer!) true Christians among Evangelicals than among any other sect of Christianity.

But now I think about it, it does seem that the high-profile jerks among Evangelicals are a lot louder than the ones in many other denominations....

9. SaMcNutt profile image60
    SaMcNuttposted 12 years ago

It is interesting that you posted this because, my friends were talking about how they like to listen to Perry Stone and today I got a book by him that kind of addresses the issue this forum is talking about.

1. profile image0

It is a curious question...get in there and share your views. We love the feedback

1. SaMcNutt profile image60
        SaMcNuttposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've just started reading it so the jury is still out on that side of things. However, they are I am sure some Christians among the many as in most denominations.

I do love Mr. Perry Stone.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)