Wikipedia will blackout in 24 hrs

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (36 posts)
  1. GoldenBird profile image57
    GoldenBirdposted 12 years ago

SOPA and PIPA are two proposed laws that will enable copyright holders to accuse websites which hosts pirated content. Wikipedia, in protest, will blackout English Wikipedia for 24 hours. Should Internet be free and open worldwide?

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm still confused about SOPA and PIPA.

If they're laws to "enable copyright holders to accuse websites which host pirated content", why is that a bad thing?

1. WriteAngled profile image72
        WriteAngledposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm thinking along these lines as well.

2. GoldenBird profile image57
        GoldenBirdposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think the intention is the law is good, which is to protect people's copyright. But the law will implement penalty of 5 years if a website is found violating the law. I think Wikipedia did not like the severity of the penalty, as it is likely that many websites will fail to maintain that line.

2. HistoryProdigy profile image66
      HistoryProdigyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I enjoy wikipedia. It is no less accurate than any other website or book, it is probably the most complete encyclopedia ever written. A great human achievement.

3. Pearldiver profile image67
      Pearldiverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So do you think we should use our Fall Out Shelters and Crystal Sets or Can we just get by with our existing knowledge and common sense? smile

2. ediggity profile image60
    ediggityposted 12 years ago

Oh no, the world will crumble.  Not that, how can we live without a server full of inaccurate information for 24 hrs?  smile

1. skyfire profile image79
      skyfireposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I guess,you read conservepedia or maybe fox references? smile

2. skyfire profile image79

Just to play with your mighty intelligence, find the inaccurate information in the following article and help raise your rep.

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNOME

I can dig tons of articles like that.

If you fail to point out inaccuracy in above article, please explain us low-lifers why you want to standby your assumption of "server full of inaccurate information" claim?

1. ediggity profile image60
        ediggityposted 12 years agoin reply to this

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj596/ediggity1/Wiki.png

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj596/ediggity1/Wiki2.png

Guess you really don't know what you're talking about.  At least that's what Wikipedia says.  I guess I'll believe it, because that's what's on Wikipedia.  It's no assumption, and you're not a "low-lifer", just ill informed. No need to "raise" my "rep"  It's already credible to the people that matter, unlike your precious Wikipedia. smile

1. skyfire profile image79

Aw snap yet another argument of public editing on wikipedia. Just because you're open to edit the page doesn't mean it's less credible and it will remain forever. I don't see your edit anymore, what happened ? Still unsure about how wikipedia works ? smile

*facepalm* No wonder likes of you subscribe to conservepedia and take "believe" part in life way too seriously over credibility.

Funny to read that "ill-informed" part is coming from you.

Let me guess, people who use conservepedia and watch FOX news, definitely smile

I removed the edit immediately after.  Im quite familiar on how it works, and that is why I don't  rely on it.  I'm not a proponent of re circulating false information, unlike you.  I don't see any relationship between this debate and what news programs we watch?  That comment really shows your true character, and inability to recognize any other opinions besides the ones you agree with.  If you want to bow down to Wikipedia be my guest, but those who truly rely on relevant information in my profession don't..  smile

1. profile image0
              JaxsonRaineposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There is nothing wrong with Wikipedia, as long as you are intelligent enough to look at the sources. It's just as accurate as Encyclopedia Britannica, but more powerful for finding information.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  smile

1. profile image0
                  JaxsonRaineposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The great thing about language, is how words have meaning, depth, and context. Any reasonable person can read what I wrote and understand it means to look at the sources, read the sources, and think for yourself. Obviously if the source is a blog saying 'This happened. It's true' it wouldn't be considered valid.

So tell me, what's the point of you 'fixing' what I wrote? Do you just enjoy causing difficulty where it doesn't need to exist?

If we were speaking I would partially agree with your statement about language; however, we are not speaking. Assumptions based off written statements are unnecessary if the author clearly writes what they intend to describe (unlike what you wrote there is ambiguity). The rest of your statement makes assumptions and judgements based of your own opinion about a "reasonable person", which not everyone shares, particularly me.  I consider your writing style and assumption about comprehension unreasonable.  I am not making anything difficult, to simply "look at the sources" on the bottom of the Wikipedia page does not mean one actually verified them, and that the actual interpretation of them by the author/s was accurate.  Rather than do all of that legwork I would rather go straight to the source. smile

3. Aficionada profile image81
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

As I understand it, one of the big problems is that, under these laws, the mere accusation of piracy could cause a site (such as HubPages) to be shut down - without due process.  A similar accusation of piracy would require that a site not accept credit cards (if it had previously sold items or services via credit card payment).

Initially, these laws do sound well-intentioned.  But as you read more details, they become more questionable.  Check out this info and rant (with a multitude of links): http://www.craigslist.org/about/SOPA

and this synopsis: http://www.reddit.com/r/politics/commen … ?context=3

1. WryLilt profile image87
      WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It will basically destroy content farms, in other words. Wonder if Google has anything to do with this... LOL!

4. Richieb799 profile image75
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

Is SOPA, trying to clean the internet? (get it?) wink is it prounced SOAP-A?

Haha!

2. David 470 profile image81
      David 470posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Fitting name.

5. Aficionada profile image81
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

Actually, Google is on the list of those who are opposed to it.  Matt Cutts posted (on Google-Plus) a link to instructions for those who wish to participate in the blackout tomorrow (with their own individual websites).

From the craigslist link:

"Supporters of PIPA and SOPA: RIAA, MPAA, News Corp, TimeWarner, Walmart, Nike, Tiffany, Chanel, Rolex, Sony, Juicy Couture, Ralph Lauren, VISA, Mastercard, Comcast, ABC, Dow Chemical, Monster Cable, Teamsters, Rupert Murdoch, Lamar Smith (R-TX), John Conyers (D-MI)"

"Opponents of PIPA and SOPA: Google, Yahoo, Wikipedia, craigslist, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, eBay, AOL, Mozilla, Reddit, Tumblr, Etsy, Zynga, EFF, ACLU, Human Rights Watch, Darrell Issa (R-CA), Ron Wyden (D-OR), Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), Ron Paul (R-TX)"

Not only might it affect content farms, but it could easily affect a lot of individual blogs and websites.  All it would take is for some other website to accuse you of copying their content or selling some knock-offs, and your entire website could potentially be taken down.  GoldenBird says that could be for five years!

According to other sources I have scanned, it only requires one instance of presumed piracy on the entire website to break this law.  So, if only one Hubber out of thousands posted some pirated content (hmmm... could such a thing ever happen here?), then all of HubPages could possibly be shut down.

The craigslist link said that a better law is being proposed.  That may be the one that addresses the piracy problem without opening a Pandora's box.

Thanks for the info! Wish HP was doing a blackout.

1. Aficionada profile image81
        Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome!

Meeee tooooo!!

2. David 470 profile image81
      David 470posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm glad Google is against it -- of course I can see why...

Why is mastercard for the law?? I use mastercard.

I sure hope this does not happen. What is the chance of these bills being passed?

1. Aficionada profile image81
        Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I assume that the credit cards companies think it is a quick fix - a way to punish some website that accepts their card in payment for fake copies of Ralph Lauren designs or Chanel perfume, for example.  The credit card companies may think (I'm guessing, you understand) that it will help prevent customers from coming back to the credit card company with complaints about merchandise.

The craigslist link (which I found courtesy of Sophia Angelique) has many, many other links that I have not investigated. Some of them seem to link to articles that indicate Congress is starting to backpedal - so maybe the protests are being heard.  But it is still advisable for us to contact our representatives and voice our opinions.  I haven't done so yet - I'm reminding myself too that I need to do so.

6. Kyle Payne profile image61
    Kyle Payneposted 12 years ago

Government should not be involved in personal things such as this. When the federal of state governments involve themselves, it undermines individual liberty in a loathsome way, and threatens to disband the liberty that our nation has.

Liberty?

The best way to stop people doing something is to tell them they're free to do it.

7. Debby Bruck profile image67
    Debby Bruckposted 12 years ago

Hello GoldenBird. I guess my latest blog on SOPA and tonight's wikipedia blackout stirred you to write on the forum.

I have provided some links to contact your congressional representatives if you wish to be active and state your opinion.

Check it out, "Wikipedia SOPA Protest Turns The Lights Out Wednesday January 18 2012"

I think these events have already had an impact and they are backing down from passing these bills.

Plus, President Obama has implied he is against SOPA and PIPA as they would interfere with a free and open internet.

I have also posted a couple of POLLS on that Hubpages to find out if anyone has personally experienced being blocked.

I myself have run across a number of news media pages with videos, news reports and television programs that prevent me from viewing. This is frustrating when someone from UK or elsewhere sends me the link.

Obviously, everyone knows that countries like China block their people from viewing the entire internet.

How would you feel if this was standard operating procedure in America?

1. GoldenBird profile image57
      GoldenBirdposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My personal opinion is, that it's not really a requirement to have such laws as these ones, with such severe penalty of 5 years imprisonment for a person who just knowingly / unknowingly posted a 'pirated' picture in facebook.

Most websites respect copyrights of others, and the DCMA was working pretty well.

Making more severe laws does not solve the problem, but worsens the situation. A government can also discuss a problem.

1. Debby Bruck profile image67
        Debby Bruckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi GB ~ True. The alternative would be having people in each government sit down to 'discuss' the problems and find equitable solutions, rather than heavy handedly block everyone.

8. rebekahELLE profile image87
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago
  9. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 12 years ago

SOPA sounds like the online equivalent of the government penalising the entire post office because *one* person sent a parcel containing counterfeit goods.

1. Debby Bruck profile image67
      Debby Bruckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Or make everyone take off their shoes at the airport because of one shoe bomber.

A good equivalent analogy.

10. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 12 years ago

This comment has been found in violation of H.R. 3261, S.O.P.A and has been removed. ███ ████████ ██████ ██████████ ██ ████ ██ ████ ██████████ ██ .███ ███

11. talin401 profile image56
    talin401posted 12 years ago

I dont like blackouts

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)