jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Can Competition Between A Husband And A Wife Be Healthy? For Example: She May Co

1. ngureco profile image84
    ngurecoposted 7 years ago

Can Competition Between A Husband And A Wife Be Healthy? For Example: She May Compete to Have...

More Influential Friends and Connections Which May Make the Husband Feel Challenged.

2. profile image45
    Justdawg08posted 7 years ago

I'd have to say it all depend on how the husband views it.  It could really go either way.

In a good way it could motivate the husband to make the marriage more interesting by spicing it up with surprises and trying to stay as fun as her friends are.

In the bad way, he could be jealous and perhaps distance himself from his wife even more.  Maybe hang out with his guy friends and just creating a distant vibe between the two.

Or maybe the two need a break from each other in the first place.

3. Rishy Rich profile image73
    Rishy Richposted 7 years ago

It depends on the perception of the couples. From the husbands point of view it may be challenging because most husbands expect to do better than their spouse. However, I know guys who would love to see their wives doing better because they think it would help their family especially in case of unfortunate incidents like the sudden death of the husband. In such case a self established wife would be more than enough to take care of the Children.

It all depends on your perception, If you are a ego centric male who want to be the Man of the house then you will obviously feel challenged by that but if you get the bigger picture of the bright side then it wont be challenging for you!

4. Nick B profile image78
    Nick Bposted 7 years ago

Why either spouse would feel challenged if the other half had different friends, connections or associates is beyond me.

Unless both worked at the same place, it's likely that one would have a different sphere of connections anyway and many people like to keep their work and home lives separated. I know we do.

5. svencill profile image60
    svencillposted 7 years ago

My husband and I love to debate. I think competition is very healthy and sexy too. But I don't think you should go over board with it. You still have to respect each other. You don't want it to turn into an argument.

6. Storytellersrus profile image78
    Storytellersrusposted 7 years ago

I have a problem with the word "competition."  If the wife is actually competing with her husband, I see this as a problem.  If the wife has inner drive that empowers her to pursue these things as a means to fulfill her own goals, that is one thing.  But if she is doing something strictly to "win" or "beat out" her husband, well, that does not bode well for the relationship. 

It took my husband and me a long time to recognize that we are on the same team.  He was always competing against me, as if I were his younger brother and not his partner.  When this perspective transformed, we were able to cheer each other on like teammates.  Teammates striving to do their personal best.

Doing your personal best does not mean competing against another, but against yourself.  When couples encourage each other to be the best they can be, they discover the value of being each other's best friend as well as lover.

7. NJ's Ponderings profile image80
    NJ's Ponderingsposted 7 years ago

Competition in a marriage, I think, could be a dangerous ingredient. There is the possibility of going overboard. Yet if it is kept in moderation could actually add a bit of excitement.

working