jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Does a woman feel threatened when a man brings up relationship issues?

1. Meridian.1960 profile image58
    Meridian.1960posted 7 years ago

Does a woman feel threatened when a man brings up relationship issues?

When a man initiates a conversation regarding unhappiness in a relationship, does a woman feel put down, or threatened?

2. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 7 years ago

if the man is someone who is close, woman is usually open about relationship issues. however, if the man is not that familiar, the woman will feel pressured, threatened and suspicion will naturally happens.

3. Vicki.Pierce profile image71
    Vicki.Pierceposted 7 years ago

I think if a man can let his gal know that he is unhappy in the relationship then that is a great relationship.

If a man can't have a serious conversation with his gal then they shouldn't be in a relationship.

4. Antonia Monacelli profile image91
    Antonia Monacelliposted 7 years ago

Depends on the woman, and could also depend on the issues.  Communication is a vital part of any healthy relationship, so either partner should feel like they can bring up a relationship issue and discuss it. 

"Unhappiness" is quite general, so if you are thinking about bringing something up, I would suggest that you have specific issues in mind that are causing the unhappiness, because without any specific, it's hard to come up with a solution or compromise that might help - and it's also more likely to make your partner feel defensive, and put down. 

The way you bring it up also makes a huge difference.  Be sure to use phrases about how you feel, rather than just jumping what they do/don't do that makes you unhappy.  The less accusatory you are, the less likely that she will feel threatened. 

For example, don't say they make you unhappy, or the relationship makes you unhappy.  You need to say that you are feeling unhappy, and these could be some of things that are contributing to the way you feel.  Also remember when things get heated that this makes a big difference; there may only be a fine line between calling someone stupid, and calling their actions stupid, but it's there.  It's important to make it less of a personal attack on the person, and more of a discussion about what they do, don't do, or could do to help the situation.

Most importantly, if you want to talk about it, it says you want the relationship to work, but you still might need to tell them that, and more than once, during the discussion.  They understand you are bringing issues up because you want to work on them, not because you want to put them down, and find a way out.

5. Meridian.1960 profile image58
    Meridian.1960posted 7 years ago

Thank you for your replies ladies.
    I along with many men that I am involved with are working hard to become better husbands. This issue has come up more than once. It appears that many women are comfortable addressing their concerns when they want changes from their husbands. But when a man initiates a conversation, they quickly shut down, ignore, or get very defensive. I assumed that they may feel put down or threatened in some way? I hoped to confirm my suspicions.

6. daiarian profile image61
    daiarianposted 7 years ago

For many couples trying to combine work and raise a family at the same time relationship issues are bound to arise and cause problems for you both. What is evident in these troubled relationships is a deterioration caused by a lack of, or poor, communication between couples.

The problem will escalate unless a concerted attempt is made by you both to sit down and air your views before things begin to turn nasty. While it is common for many couples to argue and even get into flaming rows most of these situations are caused by misunderstandings. The secret is how to engage in discussions without casting allegations and shouting insults at your partner.

So do not avoid issues, engaging in discussions it is the only way to resolve issues

7. windresistant profile image56
    windresistantposted 7 years ago

A question like this can only be answered by the woman involved.

8. Deborah Minter profile image92
    Deborah Minterposted 6 months ago

It would depend on the woman. The circumstances of the relationship might affect, if she feels threatened or not.