jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Can flirting be the equivalent of cheating in some cases?

1. SpiffyD profile image84
    SpiffyDposted 6 years ago

Can flirting be the equivalent of cheating in some cases?

Some persons think so, while others believe it's just harmless fun. Perhaps it can be both, depending on the context. What's your take?

2. LADYGIRL profile image60
    LADYGIRLposted 6 years ago

Yes it can be, if you're with your sufficent other and you have some love for her.  Flirting will not be in your mind or your heart.  If you love this person that all you see in your vision. Now if you are in love with her you don't see anything but her. Flirting is just another word saying, "Hi, I would like to talk to you."  And that real....

3. wychic profile image89
    wychicposted 6 years ago

Not necessarily, because cheating implies a betrayal of trust. Every relationship places different boundaries on that trust, and if both of the people within the relationship do not have a problem with flirting, and it is done openly and with your partner's knowledge and consent, then it is not cheating. There are some relationships where even having sex with someone other than your significant other is not cheating, because it is done with full knowledge and consent.

That said -- in my personal life, I would consider it cheating. However, my husband and I have both been cheated on before, and have agreed that complete mutual exclusivity is the way we want to live. And I'm a jealous person and don't share. The next couple in line may have no qualms whatsoever about such behavior toward someone outside of the relationship.

http://wychic.hubpages.com/hub/The-Defi … lationship

4. mcrawford76 profile image84
    mcrawford76posted 6 years ago

Flirting is cheatings ugly cousin.
    It's not the same.
    It doesn't equal the same level of betrayal. But at the same time it shows that you are expressing interest in other women. And that in itself is just as bad.

5. spirit929 profile image74
    spirit929posted 6 years ago

I am so fixed on this answer...yes it is the start of a possible cheating! Flirting to me is intent to say to another person "Hey I am attracted to you and Im available" like my Mother says..."Why invite the Devil to your door step" Think about it...also it is hurtful and disrespectful to your significant other.

6. Pamela N Red profile image85
    Pamela N Redposted 6 years ago

Ask yourself if you would be ashamed for your spouse to see what you write or for them to see what you do. If the answer is yes, then you are cheating.

7. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 6 years ago

Most relationships I have ever been in began with flirting or the use of sexual innuendo. Flirting is a game which allows participants to "test the waters".

If there is mutual interest both parties raise the stakes and gradually take things further. If one person is offended the other can always fall back on the old line of "I can't believe you thought I was serious!" ha ha ha

I think people will always want or need to feel they are attractive/sexy to people other than their mates.
    The people who believe flirting is "innocent fun" are often the same ones who after being caught in an affair will tell their loved ones, "We never planned for this happen" or "One thing led to another." A teacher I once had said:
    "The kiss is the persuasion to lower invasion"
    Flirting is verbal foreplay. :-)
    No one wants to think about or let alone see their spouse/significant other flirting with someone else!

working