jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

When should you broach the commitment conversation with your partner?

1. KateWest profile image75
    KateWestposted 6 years ago

When should you broach the commitment conversation with your partner?

2. Timetothink profile image59
    Timetothinkposted 6 years ago

If you have to broach the subject one or both of you aren't ready.  It usually comes about naturally through actions

3. prektjr.dc profile image86
    prektjr.dcposted 6 years ago

This is a tough question for me.  My first marriage was 3 weeks after our first date!  BIG mistake!  It was a scam!!  I love the children this marriage produced and I would never undo having them in my life, but the second marriage was definitely different!  I laid out expectations and my need for an honest commitment before I agreed to the first date.  I wanted to know what I was dealing with up front.

4. KateWest profile image75
    KateWestposted 6 years ago

Yup, it's a tricky one and from personal experience, different in each relationship. Trying to learn from past mistakes sometimes trips up future success, however.

5. Smart is Good profile image61
    Smart is Goodposted 6 years ago

Commitment comes from within and develops with time not from a conversation. If you feel that you should become more serious and take it a step farther, think why it hasn't happened yet. Usually both partners commit almost in a parallel way, since they feed their relationship together and grow as individuals and as a couple. If you think the conversation is necessary, then don't be afraid. Say things the way they are and how you feel them, If your partner changes attitude towards you because he felt pressured it means you should reconsider your relationship. If you don't mind him being less committed than you, then keep working on your relationship. It's really up to you, and how you feel about it, but never forget to take into consideration your significant other's feelings and opinions.

6. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 6 years ago

Whenever you feel like it. There is no "magic time". If you have decided that you don't want to date anyone else then you should express how you feel and see if they are on the same page. If they are still of the mindset where they want to keep things open then you have a decision to make. The best relationships are between people who want the same thing.

7. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 6 years ago

To me, commitment is underlined in the relationship from the start. If you aren't committed, I'm gone.

8. stricktlydating profile image83
    stricktlydatingposted 6 years ago

Whenever you feel you'd like to get more serious in your relationship.

working