jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

Is is a good idea to date your bestfriend?

1. mcgreg28 profile image59
    mcgreg28posted 6 years ago

Is is a good idea to date your bestfriend?

2. profile image0
    Charlene Marianoposted 6 years ago

Definitely not. For if something goes wrong in your next-level relationship with your bestfriend you might lose two: a lover and a friend.

3. chanroth profile image73
    chanrothposted 6 years ago

well...it really depend...I have seen many successful relationship. My friend and her best friend were dating and then got married and then have two great children together.

4. JEDIJESSICUH profile image77
    JEDIJESSICUHposted 6 years ago

It is if it works out, but like Charlene said, if it goes wrong then you might lose that friendship you had before the relationship. The closest I've come to dating a best friend was going out together on Valentine's Day, where he wound up kissing another girl. We remained friends and never made steps towards having a relationship again.

However, my husband is now my best friend. He didn't start out that way and it wasn't until after we got married that we got so close. That's a good idea. Dating and then becoming best friends, not the other way around. It just gets messy.

5. Moms-Secret profile image83
    Moms-Secretposted 6 years ago

A long time ago I did.  I lasted a long time and we had a child together.  I don't regret a thing.  I love my husband dearly, he does not worry about where my heart is.  I think he appreciates not having the drama that comes with blended families.  They like each other.  I am really close to the ex's new family and it is genuine.  We celebrated the kids birthdays together or take in some shows.  It did go thru an awkward stage after the split years ago, but I think had he not have been my close friend first, we would not be how we are now. 
    As a general rule, I regret very little if anything in life anyway.  I find that the time is better spent elsewhere, but honestly, I wouldn't change this part at all.
    If you really sit down and think about it, if you never date him and then married someone else, you would have pretty much the same kind of relationship with him that I have with my ex now with out the child.  Your married life would keep you busy but you may get together for special occasions and keep up with his family.

6. makusr profile image60
    makusrposted 6 years ago

When we enter a relationship we should be very clear what we expect out of it. Much of our sadness arises because of our expectations. The next thing is give space. If you follow these things you can easily date anybody not only your best friend.

7. Hunbbel Meer profile image86
    Hunbbel Meerposted 6 years ago

I agree with Charlene. You can risk both of your relationships in that way. Though, if you think that he/she is 'the one', then there is no point in passing at all; provided if he/she and you are mature enough to continue your friendship even the 'next-level-relationship' goes wrong.

8. seicheprey profile image59
    seichepreyposted 6 years ago

I'd have to say yes, I married my best friend and we've been married now for almost 15 years with three children.smile

9. alphagirl profile image82
    alphagirlposted 6 years ago

Shouldn't your spouse be your best friend? I vote a for a yes! No hidden agendas. No funky surprises. You trust each other explicitly. Sp the marriage has a great chance of longevity.

10. profile image0
    AlienWednesdayposted 6 years ago

I vote for yes! You want your partner to be your best friend. You may risk losing your friend but if you are that good of friends to begin with then it should not be  a problem. I was married previously and we were not best friends and I really think that contributed to the demise of the marriage.. It is not love that makes a great marriage, it is being the persons best friend.

working