jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)

Is it wise to marry at an early age?

1. ubanichijioke profile image78
    ubanichijiokeposted 6 years ago

Is it wise to marry at an early age?

Is it wise to marry at an early age? I plan to marry before 27years of age. Is it wise? Share your experience[s]

2. santomilitello profile image62
    santomilitelloposted 6 years ago

I am not married and never have been but I came close this year. I have learned things about myself in each relationship I've been in and have become a better person each time I have. In my past relationships, it was mostly give and no take so it wasn't going to work. It was also only one of us wanting to learn and grow while the other wasn't ready or willing to.

If you can find that special person who is willing to learn and grow with you, keep them and marry them. It has to be both parties doing their equal share to keep the relationship working. It is never easy to keep a relationship, but it is impossible if it is only one-sided.

I don't think age makes as much difference as maturity does. Some people, especially men, don't mature as quickly. I wasn't ready at 20, 25, or 30 but I feel like I am now. For others, 25 may be the right age. However, I'm not sure anyone is really mature enough at the age of 20 to be married yet.

Good luck if you do find that perfect someone!

3. DeBorrah K. Ogans profile image55
    DeBorrah K. Ogansposted 6 years ago

I THINK it is wise to marry at the age that is appropriate for you!  Everyone matures differently  some sooner that others.  Some just get older...
    When you marry I believe that you should make it a point to be cognizant of what you want in marriage and marry someone who has the same basic principles  for life.  I recommend  really taking some time to get to know this person that you are committing to for the rest of your life.  Have some uncomfortable discussions before you say “ I DO!”

Few things to THINK ABOUT?
    What goals do you share? What roles do you share?  Who does what, how often and when? How do you handle conflict? Marriage is about learning  to love, give,  share, commitment, compassion, enjoying one another and becoming  transparent!

In my  own personal experience we married very young and it has worked out extremely well.  The reason why is because we share and value the same principles.   We have actually grown up and together and respect one another!   I/we took the vows we made seriously and continue make our home a  place of love, comfort, enjoyment  and peace.  We have  also been through our share of trials…. But they have served to bring us closer and mutually appreciate one another all the more…  I honestly and truly believe marriage is one of the greatest partnerships a man and a woman could have especially when God is in the Center!  Marriage  is what the two of you make it…

BE ENCOURAGED! A GREAT MARRIAGE IS POSSIBLE!

4. Stephiliboo profile image60
    Stephilibooposted 6 years ago

If you want my advice... (Got married at the beginning of 19 and Divorced at 22) I would wait until you are at least 25. You change so much from age of getting out of high school to your mid twenties! Who you thought you were "in love" with and wanted to spend your life with simply wasn't. Your just too immature and need to learn lessons in your early twenties!

5. KateWest profile image79
    KateWestposted 6 years ago

Generally, no, it did not work for me as I was not adult enough in my 20's to make such a life changing decision. I am sure some people can make it work and that's great, but mostly I would recommend waiting until more life gets lived.

6. arksys profile image92
    arksysposted 6 years ago

around the age of 27 is good enough ... at that time, you're wise enough to know what you're doing and out of college/university and in a decent job for a couple of years...

7. Vinaya Ghimire profile image89
    Vinaya Ghimireposted 6 years ago

There is legal age of marriage in many countries. I think we must postpone marriage until we are financially and emotionally sound.

8. mandypoole profile image60
    mandypooleposted 6 years ago

Try not to think of age as just a number, like others have said its about how mature you are, whether you share the same values in life and whether you can compromise with each other and accept that both of you WILL change over the years. But you have to adapt to one another and make time for one another.

I got married at 24 and feel like it was the right time for me, I was ready to settle down as I had been young and wild and didn't want that any more. I wanted to feel secure in my relationship and make a commitment, and also have children. Basically, I was ready to grow up.

We are all different, some of us are ready very young, some of us aren't. One of my friends married when she was 16, she is now in her late forties and still married. Then again, I know people who have waited for years to get married and been with the same partner for years too, yet the marriage broke down within three years.

Its a gamble whatever age, but marriage is defiantly very special.

9. whoisbid profile image76
    whoisbidposted 6 years ago

I never wanted to get married to anyone till I became wildly in love with someone and they loved me too and we got married and there was no question about whether or not we should be married.. we just did it.. and we are still together after a very long time. I think people must be 1000% sure they want to marry someone. I married for love and for love only.  Maybe I am lucky.

10. Ashantina profile image60
    Ashantinaposted 6 years ago

What is wise is to remember that age is just a number... and it has everything to do with emotional maturity, compatibility, love, respect, trust and commitment. If both of you KNOW you fulfil these, only then is IT wise........

11. profile image50
    szetankposted 6 years ago

Do you plan to have kid(s)
    by the time your Kid is 18 you will be 45 years old. (Pro)

Bringing up a child requires a lot of time and expenses.
    Money is often a major issue to a new family.
    --------
    Financially NO
    --------
    Love  YES
    --------

12. Allen Williams profile image83
    Allen Williamsposted 6 years ago

The term "earl age" is subjective.  I might think early is at 17 years old but someone else might think it is ok.  I believe it depends on your maturity level, how you feel about the other person, what your goals are in life and if getting married will change those goals and if so will that matter to you?

My wife and I started dating when we were 21 years old.  I married her 4 months after meeting her and we have been married for almost 30 years now.  We are happy with our marriage so you need to decide if it is what you want and then have a happy life.

working