jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Were your parents' marriage a happy one?

1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 6 years ago

Were your parents' marriage a happy one?

2. HattieMattieMae profile image61
    HattieMattieMaeposted 6 years ago

nope....lol my mother was married three times, and my dad five times. It was quite a mess and disaster! lol

3. xethonxq profile image64
    xethonxqposted 6 years ago

I think my parents' marriage is a convienant and comfortable one. They love each other and respect each other. They learned that they cannot change one another or control one another and figured out when and how to pick their battles. I think there are definitely times they are happy with one another, but I am not so certain that they would have married had I not been "an accident" during their college years. Despite that...they had 4 children and remain married to this day...43 years (44 in March). Pretty amazing in this day and age.

4. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 6 years ago

No! My parents got divorced when I was seven. Eventually they both remarried other people and got divorced again. Oddly enough they died 2 months apart.

5. onegoodwoman profile image76
    onegoodwomanposted 6 years ago

No.   My parents were both young, my mother, far too young.  Each of them were of the "ME Generation".   They could not handle either marriage or parenthood.

I thank God, each day for Grandparents.

They literally rescued me and my brothers. 

If my Grandchild was in need..........my shirttail would not stopping in the wind  until I got to him or her.

Even my own 'parents', have, each in their own way, attempted to be better grandparents.   They, too, have suffered and learned.

6. chiefmomofficer profile image61
    chiefmomofficerposted 6 years ago

My parents have the kind of marriage that anyone who knows them has aspired to have.  They have set an incredible example for my husband and me, and even though I know we have a great marriage, I'm not sure it's possible to achieve what my parents have together.  I think that seeing what they have built after all of these years really caused me to be very critical of any relationship I ever had, but in the long run that led me to my husband, so it was a very good thing.

7. justateacher profile image83
    justateacherposted 6 years ago

My mom was married two different times. She was married to my father for 16 years before he died from cancer. While their marriage was not perfect, they worked through their problems and truly loved one another. They made their life adventurous and fun and included us three girls in most everything they did.
    My mother married my stepfather ten years after my father died. She had gone through many trials and tribulations through those ten years because she did not know how to live without the love of her life. My stepfather had gone through similar issues after a horrible divorce. Both had become alcoholics and for many years tried to drink their problems away.
    Once they met, it was miracle that happened. Both stopped drinking and went back to the good, hardworking people they had once been. They were married for more than twenty years when my mom passed away.
    Both of my mother's marriages were filled with love and happiness and both were different and wonderful in their own ways.
    So, yes, my parents' marriages were wonderfully happy!