jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Can a marriage be saved after an affair?

1. Leaderofmany profile image60
    Leaderofmanyposted 6 years ago

Can a marriage be saved after an affair?

2. stuff4you profile image64
    stuff4youposted 6 years ago

every situation is different. sure, why not. but usually not I guess.

3. Nefarious_Misery profile image67
    Nefarious_Miseryposted 6 years ago

I say no. Once someone cheats there can never be full trust again. Without trust no relationship can last.

4. profile image34
    LORD ENKIposted 6 years ago

No it cannot!!!There will never again be deep intimacy,trust is never restored,and it all turns into deep seeded animosity!!! It means it's time to move on simple as that get going now for your own sake!!!

5. dashingscorpio profile image86
    dashingscorpioposted 6 years ago

Clearly the answer is yes. However it really depends upon the couple and the contributing factors that may have led to the affair. One famous example is Bill & Hilary Clinton. I would imgaine it's probably easier when the whole world doesn't know what took place. Having said that everyone is entitled to have their own "deal breakers".
    According to statistics the #1 reason for divorce is financial problems and adultery is cited only 25% of the time as the reason for getting divorced. I've also seen other studies that list "falling out of love" as being the #1 reason for divorce.

The following stats come from http://infidelityfacts.com/infidelity-statistics.html
    Percentage of marriages that last after an affair has been admitted to or discovered: 31%
    Percentage of marriages where one or both spouses (admit) to infidelity, either physical or emotional: 41%
    Percentage of men who say they would have an affair if they knew they would never get caught: 74%

Percentage of women who say they would have an affair if they knew they would never get caught: 68%

Apparently the majority of people who have cheated or fantasize about doing so don't end up getting a divorce because of it. One might also surmise that monogamy is very much like being on a strict diet for a lot of people.

6. Borsia profile image44
    Borsiaposted 6 years ago

I think it is a very personal and varied.
    My mother and stepfather had an issue, he cheated. They split up for a short time but have been good since, that was about 35 years ago.
    For me it would be a deal breaker. I don't think I would even try to reconcile.
    I'm one of those who comes wired with a switch when it's on it's all the way I will do anything for her. But turn it off and all of my emotional connection stops.
    It is gone and I become completely indifferent about her.

7. litsabd profile image75
    litsabdposted 6 years ago

Very tough question and needs a lot of thinking depending on each circumstance. most of times you can not go on livong seeing with the same kind the other person.Something breaks. Needs a lot of efford from both sides.

8. courtlneygdtm profile image78
    courtlneygdtmposted 6 years ago

Marriage, in the true sense and meaning of the word "marriage" cannot be saved after an affair.  Two people may stay together, but their togetherness may be due to habit, convenience, insecurity, fear of being alone, thinking the situation will get better, or other reasons.  Once trust is broken by someone having an affair, the marriage, as it was before the affair, is, in my opinion, unsalvageable.

--courtlneygdtm

working