jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (14 posts)

Do you think it is okay to meet someone in person that you talk to online?

1. flashmakeit profile image70
    flashmakeitposted 6 years ago

Do you think it is okay to meet someone in person that you talk to online?

2. lukeuk profile image71
    lukeukposted 6 years ago

Yeah certainly. If you have had a video chat with them on skype and you know they are not using a false identity then your fine. Just meet in an open place like a coffee shop. I think its a real shame that so many people don't meet from online because of that stigma attached to it.

3. Michael Ray King profile image78
    Michael Ray Kingposted 6 years ago

I tried to answer this question with a simple "yes", but was notified the "answer was too short." I don't see anything wrong with meeting someone in person that I've talked to online. In fact, there are a number of Hubbers I've been interacting with for a couple years now. I would find meeting them to be a fascinating experience. Never done it, but who knows? Maybe someday...

4. creativebutterfly profile image61
    creativebutterflyposted 6 years ago

Yes but as already said meet in public, during the day for coffee, then if it does not work out you can leave fairly easily.   If you meet for a meal then you hve to wait until the meal is over before you can leave.

5. SuperheroSales profile image61
    SuperheroSalesposted 6 years ago

I definitely think it is okay to meet people you speak with online in person, but you want to be extremely cautious.  Get to know the person really well first, both personality and making sure they are the physical person they say they are.  It also helps if you get a chance to interact online or by phone with that person's friends or family to get more of an idea of what kind of a person they are.  This way you can more easily assume that they are not trying to trick you or do something bad (by keeping your interactions a secret from others for some reason).

Trust your judgement and be extremely careful, but don't miss out on what could be a life-long friendship or romance by being bogged down with fear.

6. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 6 years ago

In order for things to progress eventually you do have to meet in person. The mistake a lot of people make though is rushing into meeting. It can take several weeks to get to know someone well enough to feel comfortable enough to meet them for lunch or whatever. Most people gradually go from IM or contacting through a site to exchanging personal emails, to exchanging cell numbers over several weeks or months.

7. juiwei2000 profile image60
    juiwei2000posted 6 years ago

It is difficult to say, it depends on the person you are meeting.  My suggestion is that, if you really want to meet this person, for the first time, be at a public place, with a lot of people and don't be along with them.

8. Sheila Lee profile image61
    Sheila Leeposted 6 years ago

I think a lot of posts make a very good point: meet in a public place, on neutral ground. It's safe. I would also have a back up plan, such as have a friend call you on your cell at a certain time, like maybe half an hour after you've met. That way if things don't work out, or you find you really aren't interested, when they call make it sound like it's an emergency or work, then you have an easy out.

9. pearpandas profile image60
    pearpandasposted 6 years ago

For sure, just be safe about it.  Meet them at a public place first!  Then you can get a vibe from them like you would get from anyone else that you met in real life!

10. Capedium profile image77
    Capediumposted 6 years ago

Yes certainly.. As long as you know they are real.. I feel it is pointless to have a friend online and don't know what he or she looks like on ground.. You just be careful and meet at decent places

11. THEHuG5 profile image59
    THEHuG5posted 6 years ago

Absolutely, as long as you're cautious.Take the appropriate steps before meeting an online friend. I would certainly talk to them on the phone 1st and  video chat with them for a while before meeting in person. Like everyone else is saying meet in public. Leave separately so that the person won't know where you live. No matter how genuine you think a person is they could still be crazy.

12. xethonxq profile image66
    xethonxqposted 6 years ago

Sure I think it's okay...and I've done it. Had a relationship with someone on the East coast for 4 years even though I live in the Midwest. We communicated on line, over the phone, snail mail, and in person. The first meeting was scary and I had a backup plan always in the back of my mind, but overall, I felt the time I spent getting to know the person before the first meeting made all the difference.

13. jessyferari1 profile image61
    jessyferari1posted 6 years ago

I think its completely okay... I've met some people online very close friends. If you are one that uses outlets like Facebook there's just no way you won't make a new friend here or there. I've also known, met someone online I've known for over 5yrs now haven't met him yet but we chatted on Yahoo-messenger and now FB we are very close and chat every time we can.

14. Liz Green Berry profile image74
    Liz Green Berryposted 6 years ago

My mom and step dad met online.  It's a little more complicated than this, but it boils down to the fact that they are still married after 16 years.  So, yes, meeting people online is a legitimate form of social interaction these days.

working