jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

What do you think of the growing trend of people ending their relationships via

1. truthfornow profile image84
    truthfornowposted 6 years ago

What do you think of the growing trend of people ending their relationships via text message?

2. lovelife08 profile image61
    lovelife08posted 6 years ago

I think it is rude and immature. It just shows that person and anyone else how big of a jerk they really are.

The best and most sensible way to end a relationship is by doing it in person. Tactfully, I might add. Telling someone "I promise I'll never hurt you" and then texting them "I don't think we should be together anymore"..... Not. Right.

It also proves what a huge coward they are.

3. sirifly profile image59
    siriflyposted 6 years ago

It's cowardly and immature. Simple.

If the person was worth having a relationship with the least one can do is do it in person or failing that, over the phone.

4. Amy Becherer profile image72
    Amy Bechererposted 6 years ago

I think the world will continue to evolve in leaps and bounds via the internet.  With all technological advances, there are pros and cons, one being the capacity for abuse. I see new ways of hurting each other via "a click" everyday on the news.  Bullying has taken a giant leap in cyberspace, resulting in suicides among vulnerable youth.  Thieves, liars, cheats and pedophiles hide behind the anonymity that the internet allows. It offers easy access to the young, innocent, naive and uninitiated.

Comparatively speaking, ending a relationship with a text message is hurtful, but not as harmful as taking advantage of innocence, loneliness and gullibility.  Generally, personal relationships evolve between two, consenting adults. As adults, we are responsible for our actions and reactions. I've seen programs, such as, "Dateline"  and "48-Hours", where adults are duped by an internet relationship.  My horror lies in, not what transpired, as much as the unearned, open trust given to virtual strangers along with affection, control over lives and often, money.

On the other side of the coin, by the time a real-life physical and emotional relationship exists between a man and woman, a breakup via text should not be a surprise.  Usually, there are signs regarding a lack of honesty, courage and commitment before the breakup that the significant other chooses to ignore. I would say "live and learn" from the experience and thank your lucky stars the love interest was not a sociopath.   In the case of unawareness, retrospectively, I would feel grateful that I got off only with a broken heart.

5. lifelovemystery profile image93
    lifelovemysteryposted 6 years ago

A person that will end a relationship via text message has revealed their true character. This is a cowardly action and you are better off without them.

6. rave1432 profile image60
    rave1432posted 6 years ago

Honestly I think it can be better that way sometimes. Doing it in public can cause issues. My ex broke up with me in public and it was my first love and I did not see it coming. I was devastated and was crying in public, I would have rather gotten a text than be in public like that. It is a delicate situation, it should be done face to face in a private place. Not in public or over the internet or over a phone.

7. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 6 years ago

I think people have always ended relationships based upon (their own comfort level) whether it was a "Dear John" letter, phone, email, text, or simply faded away. Today people are meeting online and breaking up online.
    When it comes to breakups the natural thing for most people to do is put themselves in the shoes of the person being dumped. Not many of us try to figure out why the person chose a particular way to breakup with us. Whether a company lays you off or a significant other ends the relationship it's always done at their comfort level. Awhile back I wrote a hub with more detials about breakup methods.
    http://dashingscorpio.hubpages.com/hub/ … in-General

Depending on how volatile a relationship has been... A text message may be the best route to take. Most likely anyone who ever got killed or hurt following the announcement of a breakup probably wishes they had not done it in person. Breakups are very unpredictable. Some people just want to avoid  the drama. Whether we consider it to be cowardly or not, it does not matter. All that matters is they no longer want to be with us.

8. nihar2 profile image59
    nihar2posted 6 years ago

It becomes a great relief when the opposite sex was expecting such SMS.

Otherwise its sad to give a sms, a farewell talk is a must for break of relationship.

9. profile image47
    alesia3703posted 6 years ago

Qell I think that it is better to talk to the person your dating in person to get more emostional

10. GDiBiase profile image82
    GDiBiaseposted 6 years ago

It is cowardice to hide behind the written words. If you have been with this person you owe them some dignity in the breakup. Do it face to face

working