jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Can you honestly love someone you don't like?

1. eye say profile image80
    eye sayposted 6 years ago

Can you honestly love someone you don't like?

2. edhan profile image60
    edhanposted 6 years ago

Hope this is not a trick question.

Anyway, I always believe that we do not necessary like everything about the person we love. There will be good points as well as bad points. We may not LIKE everything of the person we love but sometimes, love is a mystery.

Maybe you will grow to like what you dislike of the person you are in love with. There is always a start when you have the spark. Right?

3. L.Lawyer profile image60
    L.Lawyerposted 6 years ago

there is a thin line between love and hate, children bully the ones they have a crush on. adults can even ignore them. sometimes the tention from the hatred can lead to lust in adults and lust can lead to love. its all about the adrenaline rush, fight or flight at its best! you either argue and walk away or you crave the ardenaline from the hatred wanting more and more of the person you hate, your brain will confuse the adrenaline and use it to produce 'feel good' hormones that create the idea of love.

4. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 6 years ago

Yes I can. I don't have to like someone, to not hate them.

5. Insane Mundane profile image59
    Insane Mundaneposted 6 years ago

I've been told by a few different gals that they hate me because they love me.  Ahh, well, some people just can't seem to find stability in their life; ha!

6. Deborah Brooks profile image79
    Deborah Brooksposted 6 years ago

I do believe you can love someoone that you do not like....what if it was a brother or sister that is having a hard time coping with life and doing something you do not approve of...you would love them anyway..

7. Amy Becherer profile image73
    Amy Bechererposted 6 years ago

When I was young, I believed I could grow to love anyone.  However, familiarity brought a rude awakening. I now believe love begins with like. 

When one dislikes another, it is difficult to see past the visceral emotional reactions that become a pattern with familiarity.  When a controlling nature is a component for the dislike, it is impossible to feel positive about a situation where there are no winners.  The dominant personality is never satisfied, as few can live up to their standards of perfection and the partner being controlled feels flawed, enslaved, bullied and resentful.

Friendship is earned over time by honesty, trust, and caring.  The friendships I value have outlasted two marriages. The difference is that my friends value me, not as an appendage, but as a unique individual.  The friendships I've fostered are mutually caring, with all parties accepting the other, just as they are. Whereas, both spouses expected me to change to suit their needs, leaving me with the realization that, short of morphing into a Stepford Wife, I had to make my own way without them.

working