jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

"ARRANGE MARRIAGE IS BETTER THAN LOVE MARRIAGE" or vice-versa.... What did yot t

1. profile image57
    preyashijhaposted 5 years ago

"ARRANGE MARRIAGE IS BETTER THAN LOVE MARRIAGE" or vice-versa.... What did yot think???

2. Silverspeeder profile image59
    Silverspeederposted 5 years ago

I have always believed that arranged marriages are marriages of convenience. usually the convenience of others.

Surely a marriage should contain love, lust, trust, contentment, commitment comparability and many other things, would you get this if you trusted someone else to make the choice of partner for you?

1. profile image0
      Starmom41posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree with what this person ^ said.

2. profile image57
      preyashijhaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for such a beautiful answer. I agree with u..

3. SidKemp profile image96
    SidKempposted 5 years ago

I don't think it is so much a matter of better and worse.

Not being from a culture that has arranged marriages, I can't compare in my own personal experience.

My wife and I married for love, in spite of strong objections from her parents. But it took a lot of work to bring that love back to life when it failed.

And some arranged marriages may start without love, but devotion can create love, day by day.

Perhaps Jane Austen expressed it best in Sense and Sensibility. Whether a marriage starts in passionate love or in some kind of other circumstance, it grows to great love through the efforts of the couple.

4. Cristale profile image86
    Cristaleposted 5 years ago

Love should be the only reason for marriage. If it's for another reason, like money or benefits, it will never work out for a long time. An arranged marriage is for other reasons than love, but many people make it work and are happy.

5. dmhenderson profile image60
    dmhendersonposted 5 years ago

I am on the same page with SidKemp. Marriage means different things in different cultures, and it is my understanding that in cultures in which arranged marriages are traditional they work quite well.

1. SidKemp profile image96
      SidKempposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, DM. I wouldn't so much say that arranged marriages work well. In the US, 50% of love marriages (all) end in divorce, and most are pretty miserable. Marriage is terribly difficult and wonderful when it works all around the world!

working