Can a man get out of the "friend zone"?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (27 posts)
  1. SoundNFury profile image79
    SoundNFuryposted 11 years ago

Can a man get out of the "friend zone"?

2. stricktlydating profile image82
    stricktlydatingposted 11 years ago

What are you doing staying stuck in the friend zone?  Some great tips and advice for men about how to get out of that friend zone. read more

SoundNFuryposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, stricktlydating.

3. profile image0
    CJ Sledgehammerposted 11 years ago

I believe so. {Please note that the remainder of this message is said "Tongue in Cheek" and with a little spite, but just have fun with it}...I know I did. :0)

Remember that nice guys finish last in love, but they are the first ones a woman will call when her car won't start or she needs a shoulder to cry on or wants to save money on mental counseling.

Most women marry for security, status or wealth...not for love, integrity or moral character. Regardless of what they say...this remains true (in most cases).

For reasons unknown to me and to science, most women date and marry neanderthals and then complain that they have been mistreated by their cave man.

Keep in mind that women treat their romantic relationships like a good shampooing: apply, rinse, and repeat. And, then off to their next dismal failure.

In all honesty, the only thing a good man can do to insulate himself from this trajedy and inequity in life, is to develop thick skin and not be every woman's knight in shining armor. Women just don't respect it.

Remember, the average woman loves to anquish over her relationships and without the benefit of serious drama...her life would be less than fulfilling. Besides, if women didn't have the drama, what would they talk about at the water cooler on Monday mornings?

Bottom line gentlemen...if you are there for a woman hoping that she will reciprocate your love and affection - then my prayers are with you. Then again, if you are a man of noble character and you don't give a damn if you turn their heads or get a pat on the head or a scratch behind the ears...then you have my respect and just got their attention, too. :0)

Thanks, CJ.  I think you have some very good points here.

2. ddaquila profile image60
      ddaquilaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You are focusing on the wrong type of woman, CJ! There are women out there that will marry for LOVE; not wealth, status etc. TBH I couldn't care less if I lived in a box as long I was with the person I love. It just comes down to who it is.

3. profile image0
      CJ Sledgehammerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If that's truly how you feel, Deborah, then you are one in a million!!! It just seems that most women seek security, prestige and wealth but gamble on character, integrity and love. The first 3 are requirements, whereas the last 3 are negotiable. :0)

4. Agnes Penn profile image59
      Agnes Pennposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh, CJ!  It looks like you've been hurt baaad.  Ddaquila is not one in a million.  I second her thoughts.  It also comes down to how much each person wants to sacrifice for love of the other person.

4. dashingscorpio profile image70
    dashingscorpioposted 11 years ago

A person places someone in the "friend zone" because they do not see them as being "the one". There is only one way to get out of the "friend zone" and that is to tell the person what you want. Either they will be open to the idea of exploring a dating relationship or they will not spend as much time with you in order to avoid being uncomfortable.  This will save a person wasted time. As my mother use to say: "If it ain't worth asking for then it's not worth having."
    Michael Bolton probably recorded the all time classic “Friend Zone” song; “How Am I Suppose To Live Without You”. Trust me you do not want to find yourself singing this lyric once your (friend) announces his or her engagement. 
    "How am I suppose to carry on when all I’ve been (living for) is gone….And how can I blame you, when I build my world around the (hope) that one day we’d be so much more than friends.”

1. profile image0

Good stuff, Dashing. I think for the moment I need to avoid all love songs, especially Michael's.

2. dashingscorpio profile image70
      dashingscorpioposted 11 years agoin reply to this

CJ, That's too funny! It's always the heartbreak songs that resonate. :-)

3. SoundNFury profile image79

Thanks for your insight, Dashing....I never thought of that song as a "friend zone" song but yeah, now that I see more of the lyrics, it seems best to avoid that one if you're stuck in the "friend zone" with somebody!

5. Relationshipc profile image82
    Relationshipcposted 11 years ago

My husband was in the 'friend zone' for years with me. In fact, we were friends for about 7 years before we started dating.

He was there for a couple of reasons. First, because he was so unconfident in himeslf and I wasn't attracted to that. He would complain about his girlfriends and girls that he liked, and his lack of confidence had me rolling my eyes more often than not. Second, because he didn't show interest in me at all. He even went so far as to act indifferent towards me when I was kind of interested in him in the beginning.

He got out of the friend zone by showing interest in me and acting confident about his ability to please me as boyfriend. (He had some liquid courage one night and that was all it took.) It literally took one night to change the way I viewed him and we were dating the next week. We've been together ever since.

So yes, a man can get out of the friend zone.

1. profile image0

It won't work for me because I don't drink. :0)

2. SoundNFury profile image79

Wow!  That's awesome!  Refreshing to hear a success story smile

6. profile image0
    ExoticHippieQueenposted 11 years ago

Funny you should ask...there is a man that I wish that I could be more than a friend with, but I have no sexual attraction to him.  I could fake it, but ultimately, it would break my heart to pretend.  He has all the right stuff from many different perspectives, but for me, once a man goes into the friend zone, he never comes out.  Kind of like a trip to the Twilight Zone. (Cue the theme song).

1. dashingscorpio profile image70
      dashingscorpioposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Your answer is refreshing. Too many women are settling for men that "look good on paper" In fact there is a book for women titled "Marry Him: The Case for Settling for Mr. Good Enough" Each of us deserves to be with someone who loves and desires us.

2. profile image0

There's a disconnect, Dashing, because most women end up hating their relationships. 80% of divorces are instigated by wives and 90% of couples who have been married 10 years say they're not happily married. In romance...women often make poor choices

3. SoundNFury profile image79

Thank you for your answer, ExoticHippieQueen.

7. ddaquila profile image60
    ddaquilaposted 11 years ago

Definitely. Personally, I think a woman will only stay friends with a man if there are real qualities she admires. And vice versa, of course. So who's to say there's no getting out of the "friend zone" - we choose that for ourselves after all.

My boyfriend and I have been best friends since we were wee toddlers. We went to the same school together, separated after high school and now we're living together and have never been happier. There was no planning, or waiting - things just happened.

I believe that relationships are all about timing. If the timing is right, feelings can spark. It may just happen. And if not, well, that's another story. Bottom line is though, for me, being best friends with your lover is an absolute fairy-tale come true. If you were best friends before becoming lovers, that's probably one of the luckiest things that could happen to any two people. But it can happen.

I agree, ddaquila, and that's great to hear your good fortune to be with your best friend smile

2. profile image0

Ddaquila: Do those "real qualities" that a woman admires in a male friend include...gullibility and long suffering? :0)

3. ddaquila profile image60
      ddaquilaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Don't get me wrong; You only really get to know someone when you let them in to this extent, and it gets hard, sure - but if it's with the right person, it's worth it.
      CJ:Sometimes it's better to do the all or nothing approach. It can suck otherwise.

8. abbykorinnelee profile image58
    abbykorinneleeposted 11 years ago

Not with me lol:)) I guess it depends why he is in the friend zone.  Each situation is unique and different and has different dynamics.

Thank you, abbykorinnelee.

9. Agnes Penn profile image59
    Agnes Pennposted 11 years ago

Yes.  Guys fall into this category because they don't fight for what they want - or don't know what they want - and fall in the "safe friend zone".
    The moment a guy decides, not so much for a particular girl, but for a way of life, his decisions make sense to him and those who meet him.  And that leaves a better impression on girls, not a "friend zone" impression.

Thank you for your input.  I think you raise an interesting point.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)