jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

What to reply when someone says I hope You don't mind it?

1. jabelufiroz profile image72
    jabelufirozposted 4 years ago

What to reply when someone says I hope You don't mind it?

(specially while sending text messages or emails)

2. Lisa HW profile image73
    Lisa HWposted 4 years ago

If someone says that to me, and I DO mind I'll usually keep things light but say something like, "Actually, I do kind of mind."  From there the person may be likely to say why he didn't think you'd mind, at which time politely explaining what the problem (and reason for "minding") is.  It's at this stage in the "back-and-forth" that I may clarify that I actually more than "kind of mind" but was trying to be polite and reasonable when I first said that.

If it's a serious matter (as opposed to some run-of-the-mill type of thing) I'll leave out the "kind of" and say something more like, "Actually, that WOULD be a problem for me because......".

3. cebutouristspot profile image75
    cebutouristspotposted 4 years ago

I think it depends on the context but if it something that really bother me.  I make it known that I do mind.  It is better be frank (and temporarily hurt the person) and be understood than be a martyr (and be misunderstood) and be step on. 

Just my opinion smile

4. profile image0
    SandCastlesposted 4 years ago

Often when people say, " I hope you don't mind",  (usually with a big smile on their face) they know that they are out of line. They are trying to embarrass you and pressure you with this, "I hope you don't mind" line so you don't confront them with their bad, irritating, or boundary busting behaviour. They expect you to say, "No, that's okay". Watch them looked shocked when you say, "Yes, I do mind". 

For most people, when they say, "I hope you don't mind", they know full well that they are stepping on your toes.

Some people with weak boundaries say this and are apologetic, "I hope you don't mind if I take my lunch break", when they have the right to take it. This is a different story. In this case you say, "Of course I don't mind". These people need reassurance.

5. C.V.Rajan profile image77
    C.V.Rajanposted 4 years ago

If you really don't mind, mind your own business. If you really mind, tell him your problem and let him mind his own business!

6. emdi profile image73
    emdiposted 4 years ago

¨Sorry, I do mind, because.......¨

then you need to explain the reason.

7. WalterPoon profile image80
    WalterPoonposted 4 years ago

I would just throw the ball back and ask, "And what if I mind?". I will then wait for the response.

8. connorj profile image75
    connorjposted 4 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8102132_f260.jpg

When I am in this situation, that being, replying to the statement, "I hope you don't mind..." I consider it opportunity to assist someone in need. However, that does not mean I will "cave into" what they want, actually it usually means that I will not. After some discussion we have put our "heads together" and reason wins!

9. Escobana profile image74
    Escobanaposted 4 years ago

Thanks for asking if I mind it or not. I do because....or I don't because...

Just be honest and straight forward without being hurtful.

working