Is there any reason not to reply to a comment?

Jump to Last Post 1-41 of 41 discussions (93 posts)
  1. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

When I get a comment on one of my hubs I usually reply, at least with a thanks if I can. I notice some do and others do not reply to comments.
    I am wondering if there is any reason for not replying apart from being too busy to do so? Is it bad for bandwidth? does it score against your page rank, spoil your CTR? Any thoughts?

1. profile image50
      badcompany99posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I reply to all comments, if someone takes a bit of time to write a comment I feel it's good manners to reply to it, but that's just me !

2. Davinagirl3 profile image59
      Davinagirl3posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thoughtlessness.  I know it takes me days to reply, and I try to remember to get to it.  Life can get in the way sometimes... That is why God created ADD meds.  I do reply to my mail.  It may take 3 or 4 days, but it will be there.  Some people are just ditzy, and/or can't prioritize.

3. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I recall a long discussion about this.  There are two schools of thought - some people think it's rude not to reply. 

I'm not one of those people!  I agree with Sandra.  To me, it just seems a waste of everyone's time to reply, unless I have something meaningful to say.  Repetitive "thanks for dropping in" or "appreciate your comment" just clutter up the comments and make it less likely people will scroll down far enough to leave a comment themselves!

Personally, if I leave a comment, I don't go back and check whether there's a reply unless I asked for more info - so most commenters never see the polite "thank you" anyway.

However, recently someone pointed out that if you can include your keywords in comments, that is good for SEO.  So I guess if you can think up a reply that includes your keywords while being relevant to the comment, you'll be doing yourself some good.

1. profile image0
        sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

interesting Marisa, I think I will try that.

2. Reena Daruwalla profile image60
        Reena Daruwallaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good points. Actually did not think about those.

3. BrianS profile image62
        BrianSposted 14 years agoin reply to this

We are all trying to get traffic at the end of the day and people visiting hubs and commenting helps kick start the process of getting your hub ranked. I think it is polite to reply but sometimes, more often than I would like, I get distracted and forget, but I do try and reply normally to several people at once so as to not get that cluttered look.

I like the idea of putting keywords in your answers because then you have a really good reason for doing the right thing.

4. Lady_E profile image62
      Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't think you have to unless a specific question was asked. Sometimes, I post a message of thanks to everyone who's replied.

If I've left a comment on a Hub, I don't go back to see if they replied unless I asked a question. However, if I leave a comment and in a few minutes I see a comment on that Hub on Hubtivity, I'll check it out as its just one click.

Long story short - you shouldn't feel obliged. They are "comments".

1. Marisa Wright profile image87

Well said. I don't like it when Hubbers start implying that other Hubbers are rude because they don't respond to comments.  Live and let live, I say - there are many different ways to Hub.

I treat comments exactly like Dorsi does - and I think we both have the right to do so!

Though it's nice that HP is becoming so social, I wonder if it's going a bit too far and causing confusion. I just read Sandman's Hub where he said he's leaving because he's realised he can't make any money from Hubbers visiting his Hub.  There seems to be so much emphasis on the social aspects of Hubbing that some people (obviously including Sandman) think that's what HP is all about.

It seems some of the newer Hubbers are obsessed with collecting fans, comments and forum posts in the belief that's how you make money on HubPages.  It's not.  To make money on HubPages, you need to attract readers from outside the HubPages community, not inside it.

1. Amanda Severn profile image95
          Amanda Severnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

For the most part, this is true. Other hubbers are (hopefully) reading the written content of the hub, and are not there looking at the ads. However, doesn't Google favour sites with plenty of traffic, and if that's so, surely the social aspect of hubbing has it's uses aside from fun?

Yes, Google favours sites with plenty of traffic - but the number of Hubbers visiting your site is negligible.  We're not actually a very big group, you know.  If you're networking within HubPages to gain traffic, you're wasting your time - you'd do much better expending the same amount of effort outside HP.

If you're going to socialize with other Hubbers, do it for its own sake, because you like socializing with them, not because you think it's benefitting you somehow, because you could do a lot better elsewhere.

I'm with Dorsi - as you can see from my stats, I see the forums as the place to socialize, not my Hubs.  It doesn't seem to have done me any harm - I've made $70 this month.

The traffic aspect of hubbing is secondary for me in any case. Hubbing doesn't make be big bucks, and if I was looking to make more money from writing, I wouldn't necessarily be hubbing. I just wondered about the traffic aspect. Thank you for clarifying.

5. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i always do as it would be rude not to, in my opinion. i don't think about page rankings or things like that - i usually just do as i would like to have done to me, i guess.

6. profile image0
      James Agbogunposted 14 years agoin reply to this

WOW

7. blondepoet profile image67
      blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you 100%, how hard is it to reply even with a little thankyou, for the kindness of someone who has taken the time to read and comment. xox

8. profile image0
      James Agbogunposted 14 years agoin reply to this

One reason i know is that you may not even be aware it is very essential. Bringing it up for discussion will ensure that every comment attracts a reply.

2. getpaidtopost profile image40
    getpaidtopostposted 14 years ago

I try not to visit my hubs as it seems to have a negative affect on the hub score. I do visit every now and again and when I do I reply to the comments.

1. darkside profile image62
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Superstitious or you actually believe your visit has a detrimental effect?

Because it doesn't.

2. anjalichugh profile image67
      anjalichughposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wow! Where did you get that from? This is absolutely misleading. Going back to your hubs for replying to comments does not affect your score, not even remotely.

3. 2patricias profile image60
    2patriciasposted 14 years ago

We don't get that many comments sad so when we do it seems just good manners to reply.
    In fact, usually when we get a comment we make a point of finding a Hub by our commenter, and leaving a positive comment. Just seems like a friendly thing to do. wink

1. RedElf profile image90
      RedElfposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm with you ladies, and with BC. Mannerliness and friendliness - isn't that part of what hub pages or any social networking site is all about?

4. charanjeet kaur profile image60
    charanjeet kaurposted 14 years ago

I would say i almost acknowledge all the comments i get getting them seems like winning a trophy as we dont get as many as you do :p lol On a serious note if i am busy with another hub then i accept the reply and always acknowledge thier comment even if i am not able to response immediately.

5. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

I reply to almost all of them. I don't reply to really negative ones that are trollish, especially if I have nothing to say back except oh piss off. I don't usually reply to one or two word comments except maybe with 'thanks'. I have one hub that has been up forever and that gets so many comments I've fallen into the habit of not responding to comments because the comments are so long--way longer than the hub.

But 98% of the time I do reply because of what everyone said. smile

6. soni2006 profile image77
    soni2006posted 14 years ago

I always reply back because I want to be active on my hubs. Simple as it is.

7. profile image0
    ryankettposted 14 years ago

I haven't had a comment to reply to yet on any of my hubs :-(

Maybe one day I will have so many that I wish I didn't get them!

In fairness, I did only write my first hub 4 days ago!

1. B.T. Evilpants profile image60
      B.T. Evilpantsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What? No comments? You have one now!

1. profile image0

OMG it is BT evilpants! Misha, it's back. big_smile

1. Misha profile image63
          Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

speak of the devil... lol

8. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

I think if one has a comment box it must be used by the reader as well as the author, otherwise don't have it at all. Why would one not comment back to a reader who took time to read the hub and also leave a comment? I don't understand the logic of that one, but have seen it.

1. soni2006 profile image77
      soni2006posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am in total agreement with you ralwus.

2. Jane@CM profile image62
      Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree.  I'll comment back if I ever get any comments smile

1. Misha profile image63

LOL Sometimes it gets overwhelming, but yeah, I agree to that approach smile

1. profile image0

yeah but sometimes it gets to be a little redundant.  How many times can you thank a reader for stopping by. 

True enough, I don't always answer all my comments because they are the "good hub" type and I am not sure that they really even want a response.

Like Marisa was saying, she doesn't even come back to check to see if someone had replied to her "good hub" comment.

Though I do try to make it a point to comment when someone asks a question or if I feel the comment intrigued me enough to have something to say other than "thank you for you comment" or "thanks for stopping by."

In a way, the way I see it anyways.  Those kinds of comments are much the same as not comment at all... almost like blowing them off. 

I have even gotten comments that I didn't see until long after the comment was made and then respond with an apology because it was something that I would have addressed had I seen it.

Which doesn't really help my case much because I obviously saw it at one point but overlooked it for some reason.

1. Misha profile image63

LOL Sandy, do you say "Hi, how are you?" when you meet somebody? Looks pretty much the same for me. And I am trying to be creative with simple "thank you for coming" comments. Good exercise in creativity. tongue It might take a while, but generally I get back to everybody - except for generic "good hub". Those I mostly ignore. smile

1. profile image0

Na, I say "Waaazzz upppp!"  Yeah, I should work on the creative response.  That might be entertaining. big_smile I like it.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87

Sandra, it sounds like we have exactly the same approach to comments.  I always try to give a thorough answer if someone asks a question in their comment, or if I feel I can say something interesting in return.

I'm interested in the different tenor of the discussion this time around.  The last time we had this discussion on the forums - a long time ago - it was pretty evenly split between people who felt it was polite to respond, and people like Sandra and me. 

It seems like most Hubbers - or at least the ones who participate in the forums nowadays - are overwhelmingly in the politeness camp, so maybe Sandra and I are behind the times. 

I think it comes down to one's individual definition of politeness - it has never occurred to me to be disappointed or offended if a Hubber doesn't acknowledge my comment, so it never occurred to me that anyone else would be. And judging by the number of fans I've collected, it doesn't look like I've offended anybody.  I certainly hope not!

9. Reena Daruwalla profile image60
    Reena Daruwallaposted 14 years ago

I love the fact that someone read my words and had something to say about them. Why on earth would I not reply! If nothing else a simple thanks is the civil thing to do. The comments are an excuse to chat, and I love to chat.

On an aside, every one at Hubpages has been extremely civil, welcoming, courteous and friendly; its a community that I really enjoy being a part of.

10. soni2006 profile image77
    soni2006posted 14 years ago

I like the last post so much.

11. livewithrichard profile image72
    livewithrichardposted 14 years ago

I reply to all my comments when I have the time, usually within a few hours of it being posted.  When people comment on your hubs it gives it juice, it's like linking and giving your work more importance.  But you also have to moderate your comments comming in and not worry about Free Speech.  You wouldn't let someone come in your home and be disrespectful so why let them on your blog/hub, you own it.

12. Janet21 profile image80
    Janet21posted 14 years ago

I try to respond to my comments as often as I can.  But, sometimes I get sidetracked and forget to.  I have learned that if I don't do it right away, it won't get done.  So now I try to respond as soon as the comment comes in.  I don't get all that many comments anyway, so it is not too hard to keep up.

13. lakeerieartists profile image63
    lakeerieartistsposted 14 years ago

I don't reply to every comment, but some comments can really add value to your hub.  Search engines may even pick up the verbiage from the comments when they are crawling your hub.

To me, a lively discussion on any hub of mine just makes it more interesting. smile

14. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

I reply to every comment unless of course it is spam and I delete or if someone is holding a conversation with someone else. I view it as proper etiquette for myself as well as acknowledgment that I value there thoughts. smile

15. yoshi97 profile image56
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

As it takes time for someone to leave a comment I always make the effort to reply. smile

16. jennifer maurer profile image68
    jennifer maurerposted 14 years ago

Question..when  you reply to a comment,does the person who left the comment receive notification of some sort that you replied to their comment. I'm referring to hubpagers, I doubt someone from outside hubpages could be notified unless they just checked back in from time to time....

1. Janet21 profile image80
      Janet21posted 14 years agoin reply to this

It depends on how they have their preferences set.  If they have checked to be notified if comments are made on hubs they have commented on, they will see your comment in their Hubtivity.   If their preferences are not set like that, then they won't.

No, the commenter has no idea that you've responded, unless they happen to see it on Hubtivity.  That's why I can't understand why people see responding as so important - because personally, I make my comment then forget all about it, so I have no clue whether the author thanked me or not. And I don't see why I deserve thanks, anyway - I've enjoyed reading the Hub, that's enough reward surely.

PS sorry for the three consecutive postings, I'll shut up now...

17. jennifer maurer profile image68
    jennifer maurerposted 14 years ago

Thanks. Just wanted to make sure that I wasn't supposed to do something more to let them know that I commented. I wouldn't want anyone to think that I did not respond. If the ball is in their court to apply that setting, then I don't have to worry about that.

Thanks again.

18. blondepoet profile image67
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

I think it is rude of hubbers who don't reply to comments, heck people take the time and trouble to give their support, and I think it is just common courtesy to reply to each one. I answer everyone I get, as I appreciate every single one equally. I also notice some hubbers reply to the good comments in their hub and not the bad ones. If hubbers don't reply to my comments I stop leaving them.

earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think that is a balanced approach BP I feel that if you never get a reply to a comment you make, then it seems a waste of time trying to be friendly to someone who ignores your input.

I don't comment on Hubs because I'm "trying to be friendly".  I comment on Hubs because I feel I have something to contribute to the subject. Surely, being friendly is what the forums are for.

2. blondepoet profile image67

I agree earnest, it takes time to leave one, and a little bit of time and love to reply to one, that is all/ smile

3. profile image0
        recipes4mysonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How do I reply to a comment in which someone posted on my hub?  Do I have to leave it in my comments section on my hub where everyone can see it or is there a way to send back a thank you comment straight to that person?  Please let me know because I am sure it is simple and everytime I comment back it shows up on my hub page.

You get to choose. You can either leave a comment in the comment box, then it appears each time someone looks at your Hub Page, or else you can go to the commentator's profile page and click on their e-mail link. Personally, I like to leave a comment for anyone to see, and would always do so unless the response was private in some way.

2. Janet21 profile image80

Oh no! I think I may have not responded to some of your comments! This was before I realized that it was proper etiquette here on hubpages.  See, I am used to Squidoo where it is not common or expected to reply to comments like it is here. 

I hope you will give me a second chance.  I really enjoy reading your comments on my hubs. wink

Janet, it's not HubPages etiquette at all - it's a personal choice.  As I just posted, I only respond to comments if I have something meaningful to say, and there are many other Hubbers who do the same.

I think Calin is right - I certainly don't comment on Hubs in the expectation of a reply from the author, I'm just contributing an opinion.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
          Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's how I feel about it too. I get tired of just saying "thanks for commenting" if I really have nothing more to add. And, like you, I rarely go back to hubs I comment on just to see if they have replied unless I have asked them a specific question.

And just a note...I have never considered HubPages to be a social networking site even though I have met some great people here. It is primarily a writing site for me.

2. blondepoet profile image67

Oh of course I will come back to see you. I honestly did not stop as you were not answering, I just got lost in the cabbage patch, I will come and dig my pitch-fork in your garden after I promise (hugs)

1. Janet21 profile image80

Go ahead and dig away! smile

3. alekhouse profile image72
      alekhouseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree. How is the writer supposed to know that you've even been there and read their hub, if you don't acknowledge it with a comment? Takes a little time, but I feel that it adds to the communal spirit of the site.

19. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 14 years ago

I would say, reply when you have something to say or were asked a direct question. 

I don't reply to all my comments not because I don't want to but because I don't have anything new or interesting to say. big_smile

20. Charia Samher profile image62
    Charia Samherposted 14 years ago

I don't think there's any good reason for not replying, except of course if they are really really busy and that they just publish their article during their "sparest" time. lol

21. Cailin Gallagher profile image67
    Cailin Gallagherposted 14 years ago

I had one instance where a commentor on one of my hubs was irritated when I returned a comment related to the discussion.  She felt that she wanted to simply respond to the content, and not necessarily to me as the author because she was critical of the advice that I was giving.  So, this made me a little wary of responding to criticism from my hubs.  If the comment is positive, I will always try to return the comment.  Otherwise, maybe readers sometimes just need to vent or voice a different opinion?  Your thoughts are always welcome on this...

22. shibashake profile image83
    shibashakeposted 14 years ago

I think it is good practice to respond to all comments. Hal wrote something about this in one of his hubs - you are more likely to get return readers if you actually care about their visits and opinions, and show them that you care.

When I first joined HubPages I left comments on a bunch of hubs and did not get any responses. They were probably not brilliant comments but they were not one word/one sentence comments either. Can't say it made me feel good.

I think it is good manners to reply to a reader who has taken the time to read and leave you with some of their thoughts and opinions. A simple thank-you is sufficient in most cases and does not take any time.

23. bgpappa profile image77
    bgpappaposted 14 years ago

I try to Reply to every comment with at least with a comment.  However, I have found most comments bring a good discussion so usually there is some debate.  Generally, the whole of comments is better than the article I posted.

I have found the same, some comments are so entertaining or informative, and this makes the hub a bit like a public forum.

24. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I generally reply to all of them.  There are two reasons I occasionally don't:

1.  I'll have a bunch of comments, approve them, and plan to return to reply to each once I have time - then I forget to return.

2.  Sometimes, depending on the comments, I'm torn between leaving a "thank you" (which is sometimes one of many simple "thank you's" among the comments and can start to seem kind of lazy) and not.  Depending on the other person's comment, sometimes I don't want to seem as if I have to add a "thank you" and have the last word.  Sometimes I feel as if letting the other person's comment be the last word is showing particular respect for what they had to say.

25. Teresa McGurk profile image60
    Teresa McGurkposted 14 years ago

I like replying. Some of the comments are intriguing and some great dialogues can develop.  But when I broke my arm, that slowed me down considerably, and I'm afraid there are a backlog of comments on a few of the hubs that I haven't replied to.

26. Cam Anju profile image70
    Cam Anjuposted 14 years ago

I try to reply to all my comments, although sometimes there is nothing to say back but thanks! I think it's good manners to reply to someone if they took the time to write a comment in the first place.

27. profile image0
    wordscribe41posted 14 years ago

Yes, I think it's polite to respond as well.  Plus, it motivates readers to return to your hubs.  I revisit hubs I comment on and usually go read additional hubs.

28. shibashake profile image83
    shibashakeposted 14 years ago

Here is how I think about it ...

If some stranger were to come up to you on the street and say, "Hello, I really enjoyed your article on blah-blah in the local newspaper. Thank you for writing it".

Would you just turn and walk away? It is not so different in an online venue.

At least I will say thank you in both cases. I am always grateful when people are willing to spend their valuable time reading my crap smile

1. profile image0
      pgrundyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree, but what if someone you don't even know comes up to you on the street and says, "Your writing is crap. You must be a real bitch." What do you do? Do you reply or shake your head and just keep walking?

I used to reply with something like, "Why are you talking to me like that? You don't even know me." But now I just keep walking. It seems to work out better. It seems like if I respond it just fuels the negativity.

1. shibashake profile image83
        shibashakeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol Pam.

If a comment is totally content free, then I will probably just delete it, but I have only done that once or twice. Leaving them there may sometimes cause AdSense ads to go away wink

Other than that I just try to focus on the content and respond in a neutral way. I would really like to respond in a positive way, but that is sometimes difficult to do - so I go for neutral. smile

If the other person insists on escalating without further content, then I will just walk away. I definitely agree with you that escalation is not the way to go.

No of course I wouldn't, but my point is - if someone leaned out their car window and said "love your work!" and drove on, would I stand there and say "thanks" to the empty air?

That's often what I feel like I'm doing if I respond to someone on my own Hub, because the person has made their comment and moved on - unless they happen to notice it on Hubtivity. 

Rik Ravado just reminded me what I think is true politeness, and a much better way of thanking commenters.  I left a comment on one of his Hubs yesterday.  He didn't thank me on his Hub (I would never have noticed if he did) - instead, he came and made a comment on one of MY Hubs. 

Now that's really showing gratitude - if someone has made a comment on your Hub, surely the best thanks is to return the favour, instead of benefiting yourself by adding more comments to your own?

1. Mrvoodoo profile image57
        Mrvoodooposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with everything you said except this, personally I think comment swapping is the worst thing about HubPages, it's rampant, if there was someway I could separate the writing aspects and the social aspects of HubPages without offending I would.

But then most of my hubs are quite mundane and written just for search engines, I get embarrassed when fellow Hubbers read them, because they're not written for Hubbers.

Oops, sorry Mr Voodoo, I didn't mean to say you should comment-swap for the sake of it.  If it's done purely for "social networking" reasons then I disapprove, too. 

What I meant is, that if someone comments on my Hubs I'll go and check out their work, and I'll try to make a comment on one of their Hubs in return.  I think that's only fair since they've taken the trouble to visit mine.  However, if I can't find a Hub that's worth commenting on, I won't leave a comment.

1. Mrvoodoo profile image57
            Mrvoodooposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol, can't argue with that logic, sorry for getting on my high-horse.  That's the thing about forum conversations, you can take what somebody types a hundred different ways and still not fully understand what they meant to convey.  No eye-contact, social cues etc.  I think that's why there are so many arguments and flounces on-line, my apologies. smile

2. shibashake profile image83
        shibashakeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes that is a very good point. And I will always try to visit their profile and look for something that interests me. Time does not always permit for this, but when I have extra time I will go back to old comments.

However, I will still respond to their comment in my hub because that is a more immediate response, and the other may not be as timely.

For me, as a reader, having extra comments on a hub does not deter me from commenting. I may not read all of the comments but I will still say what I have to say. Most of the time though I find myself sucked into reading everything anyway because the comments are usually very interesting and you get a nice peek into a hubber's personality smile

For me, personally, if I visit a hub where there are no responses from the author, then I am less likely to leave a comment because I assume that the author may not even be reading them (just my own view).

This is a very interesting discussion as it really highlights that we have different expectations as readers, and as writers, we assume those same qualities of our readers smile

29. Mrvoodoo profile image57
    Mrvoodooposted 14 years ago

I think there are two kinds of comments:

Comments from fellow Hubbers may be more associated with the quality of the hub, layout, concept, etc. rather than necessarily associated with the topic being discussed.  I'll usually respond to these because it seems the polite thing to do, although I occasionally get comments from fellow hubbers saying things like 'pretty good, a few spelling errors there, or maybe you could move that video down a bit, etc.' which whilst appreciated detract from the overall on-topic flow of the conversation.

Comments from search engine traffic are usually more on topic because those are the people who have actually gone out of there way to search out the information.  These comments I'm experimenting with and am at the moment only responding if actually requested to respond, the theory being that my posting mundane 'thanks' for the sake of it interrupts the flow of conversation amongst genuine visitors, and that my repeated presence after each comment may intimidate and prevent comments if visitors feel like I may judge their input.

30. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

Yes I don't like to delete negative comments either. I know what you mean about it being hard to say something positive back sometimes when the commenter is being a total jerk. I can manage it once in awhile, but not always. When I can't, I just don't respond.

I'm with Uninvited Writer in that I never considered HP a networking site. It has become that for me, but I still consider it primarily a place to self-publish and make a little ad revenue. Initially I wanted to use it as a portfolio of my writing to refer people to from the job boards, but I rarely use it like that anymore either. I really like all the nice people I've met here, but it's still primarily a place to write, for me at least.

31. profile image0
    annvansposted 14 years ago

Sometimes I reply if I feel the need to, but lots of times I just go and comment on the persons hubs that left me a comment.  I like to reply to comments that need a reply though.  If I need to, I will email the person if I have a long reply to a comment.

32. Dorsi profile image87
    Dorsiposted 14 years ago

I get alot of comments (thanks!) but I do not reply to all of them because of time constraints. If someone asks me a question or needs advice, or asks me something specific I reply. Honestly if I replied to every comment I would spend more time commenting than I would writing hubs.
    This is what the forums are for I think (IMHO). To talk, share ideas and contribute when we can.
    I don't expect comments back from other hubbers either when I visit their hubs. If they comment that's fine but if they don't that's fine too. I know people are busy and have life's out of HubPages (at least I hope they do!!)
    Just my humble 2 cents (but I love ya all!)

33. profile image0
    Larry Croftposted 14 years ago

I do not reply to comments as stated in each of my hubs.  Admittedly, it's a personal quirk.  I have been pretty much a reclusive most of my life and tend to avoid conversation when I can.  I realize that not replying to comments minimizes the desire of people to comment and become a fan but, at the same time, any guilt I might have about not replying to comments is minimized.  It's the "head in the sand" thing.

34. mommyfreelancer profile image74
    mommyfreelancerposted 14 years ago

If I am reading a hub (or any article), I will only comment if I feel strongly about it - whether strongly agree or otherwise. In this day and age when people are so finicky, getting a comment means you made an impression enough on that person for him/her to leave a comment, because they can just so easily read your hubs and go away, right? At least that's how I view it. So I always take time to reply. In fact I am thrilled whenever I see I have a new comment smile

35. Eternal Evolution profile image72
    Eternal Evolutionposted 14 years ago

I may not always reply but i do most of the time. If I don't reply to  comment I may find a hub by that person and leave a comment on it.

36. AsherKade profile image57
    AsherKadeposted 14 years ago

I have a very rude "regular" who likes to put questionable comments on my hubs. He states he is not cursing and is not threatening, so I should not only accept his comments (I delete them everytime)but respond to them. I don't even check hubpages much anymore...found a better way to make money with my writings....and so I am bombarded with these comments when I do check in.I say, don't respond unless really compelled.When you do respond it'll take notice because it's uncommon.

37. embitca profile image83
    embitcaposted 14 years ago

I respond to comments if there are questions asked or if I feel like I have something to say in response. But I don't feel the need to acknowledge every single comment.

Everyone uses this site differently so there is no hard and fast etiquette rules that can really be applied. I probably use comment boxes differently from the hubbers who are here to socialize with other hubbers.

I write for search engine visitors looking for information. I have comment boxes on many of my hubs for the readers' benefit so people who feel like contributing something to say can say it or if they want to ask a question it gives them a way to do that and gives me a place to answer and it may help other readers coming by later --- but unless they ask a question, I don't feel it obligates me to respond and I really don't care if people comment or not.

And often, if I don't feel that a comment adds anything, I just delete it. I also remove comment boxes from hubs if the only comments I ever get are "great hub!" or spam from someone else in my niche.

If I want a conversation, I come to the forums or go to some of my favorite message boards. Except for the forums, I don't use Hubpages for social networking.

That seems like a sensible approach in light of what you have said about all of us using hubpages differently and independently. smile

38. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

I always reply to the comments and if I skip over someone and do not realize it I apologize. Each hubber is different some comment, some do not it does not make them a terrible person everyone has a different etiquette and each individual is unique. I always reply out of respect for another that is how I was brought up. If someone sends a thank you card in the mail you do not ignore it so I treat the comments in the same manner, simple etiquette without explanation. smile

39. Kmadhav profile image59
    Kmadhavposted 14 years ago

I always reply the comment in thanks and encourage them to read other hubs too for similar topics.

40. tantrum profile image62
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

I respond to every comment. I think not to, is a  lack of respect. Even if I know they did it just to get a  fan. It's up to them and I can't be bothered. I always appreciate they have taken the trouble smile

That has been pretty much the same for me so far. smile

1. profile image0

I do try to respond to all comments just so the reader knows they were not ignored.  I think it is respectful.  Though I do miss some sometimes.  I also fan back when someone fans me but usually only when they leave a fan comment because I don't usually see the ones who just fanned. smile

41. Jane@CM profile image62
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

Yes, I try to respond to all comments, there are few so it doesn't take long big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)